• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Could I get some Sheik critique?

Datnox

Smash Rookie
Looking for some critique.
Here are some matches against a veteran smash player:

I've been playing smash for a little under a year now and recently made the switch from maining Ganon to Sheik. I feel that some of Ganon's gimmicks are holding me back since I can't help but overuse them.

As for my Sheik play I think there are some fairly obvious things I need to iron out like my spamming of dash attack and f-smash. I still flub my inputs quite regularly, but I guess that just goes away with time and practice. I really want to improve my edge guarding since its the essence of Sheik and it just feels so damn good when done well. Oh and please help me with the Mario matchup.

AuraMaudeGone

Smash Ace
IMO, you're too aggro.

The times you lost a stock were because you were doing way too many unnecessary movements and he capitalized on it correctly. (The Dash Attacks really opened you up, multiple times) Sheik is great at punishing, wait for him to put out dumb moves. Needles and Grabs are your best friends during early percents.

If you're going to F-tilt that often, make sure they're well spaced, not many characters can do anything about it.

cisyphus

Smash Ace
Your grab game is really underdeveloped. Kinda looks like you're trying to play Melee sheik a little bit too based on how you act out of down throw. Go in the lab and really experiment with Sheik's grabs, as PM gives you a lot of interesting options. Pivot grab helps set up DI mi ups really well, and switching for down throw to back throw can force bad DI. So I'd say take Luigi, Marth, Sheik, and Fox (these represent floaty, floaty-mid weight, true mid weights, and fast fallers) into the lab and use these throws to see how their weights work, then start to experiment with different DI ranges with debug mode and a second controller to develop combo trees based on those patterns. In general, you can punish DI in with tilts and regrabs whereas DI out forces a techchase in most circumstances. Neutral DI can be regrabbed, which also means it can be DACUS'd—a really good tool to invest in as well: due to its high damage and knock back, it sets up aerial combo strings really well.

Use wavedash and foxtrot more to position yourself to punish a sloppy approach. You seem to understand how to zone vs Falcon but never really let him whiff a move and punish it, which is the true essence of Sheik. At low percentages grab or maybe DACUS is your best punish, whereas tilts are better at mid to high percents, depending on combo weight.

Wave land onto platforms to extend your techchases. It's absurdly good with sheik (safer drop zone aerials!), but you never really make extensive use of it. You actually get punished for missing follow ups because of this lack.

Specifically for falcon, he's edgeguarded exactly how sheik is: grab ledge and keep invincibility, then punish his landing. You can do this with ledgehop dair or stand into a tilt or roll on into down smash if the spacing is good. You can also wall out his recoveries with ledge drop fast fall back airs pretty safely. Wall cling is another cool thing to use as it opens up safer fairs, which send at a really low angle for quick KOs. Also learn how to maintain your invincibility when coming back from ledge—you eat a raw knee purely because you waited on ledge too long.

Last edited:

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
if it's similar to melee, f tilt after down throw doesn't lead to guaranteed followups (it probably can still work but i don't play sheik much).

adding on to the falcon edgeguarding, you can also needle him and then wavedash to the ledge or slap him with an aerial of choice if he doesn't go for the ledge.

Top Bottom