• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Costumes to affect gameplay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim_X

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4425-1928-1952
Ok I've been thinking of this idea for a while. When you select a costume for your character in smash 4, it should affect how strong, weak, heavy vise versa he/she is. Mario can have a metal Mario costume that will make him heavier, his fire could be blue, and his recovery would be worse. If daisy doesn't make it peach can have a costume identical to her, she can be slightly heavier, stronger and she will use sporting equipment. What do you think? If you have ideas for a character costume please post I would love to read it! Discuss!:?: However, there should be an on and an off switch to toggle this.

:phone:

dlbpc

Smash Apprentice
I think it kind of defeats the purpose of costumes. They should be like Wario, completely cosmetic. Although there is the 3DS Smash having some sort of customization involved. Whether or not that will include character stats remains to be seen.

Zinnamon

Smash Cadet
Indeed, costumes are there for the sole purpose of being able to use the same character twice in a match. If costumes were to have effects on character, then someone wouldn't be able to use that specific costume, which can be considered a different character alltogether due to the changes. So bad idea. However forget about the costume thingy, the idea of slight customizable hanges on characters has been done before, (F-Zero is the earliest example I can think of).
Where you could increase your acceleration by sacrificing max speed or viceversa.
You could do the same thing on smash, using power or speed.
Giving the player a max amount of points he can spend on attributes is just another way of doing the same thing.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Alternate outfits are supposed to be aesthetic. Otherwise, there would be no purpose for having them to begin with.

MelMoe

Smash Journeyman
Nah, costumes shouldn't change gameplay at all, that's what items are for.

Stickers are easier to implement for stat changes; they should be dedicated to their own mode though.

:phone:

Jet300

Smash Ace
A costume shouldnt change any gameplay. If it did, one costume would just be plan better than the other ones. Items are there for a reason.

This thread is silly

cloud9

Smash Cadet
I love playing as Wario in Brawl, but I hate the biker outfit. I don't want to have to play a different character just because I don't want my Wario to look completely stupid.

Also, that would completely screw up the tier list

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Like everyone is saying, making some costumes better than others will totally mess up any strategy for both the opponent and the player, not to mention people would be fighting over to get the exact costume just before the other does just because they're different. Nobody wants to see a tier list where it has over ~200 different slots when there's only 35 characters (just using Brawl for this example).

Beside I change costumes that look cool. If I want to choose something that affects gameplay, I would change characters.

Also, when people noticed in [Super] Street Fighter IV that combos are messed up just because of a specific costume, Capcom has always quickly patched it up.

TL;DR: Terrible idea.

J1NG

Smash Journeyman
Hmm, it would be interesting to have options like weight, falling speed, traction, etc. available in customization.
Most people will probably think this is unacceptable, but I was thinking that if you really needed to make room on the roster, you could have characters like (for example)Luigi or Falco be skins for Mario and Fox respectively, while having enough character customization options available to be able to simply recreate the costume characters as they were(or how you want them, of course).
In those two examples, this would also mean that you could give Mario straight fireballs, or Luigi could have the cape, etc etc.
But, if costumes possess different properties as a given, then it's not really a great idea, as everyone else is saying.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
what's up with these 2+ year thread bumps, today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom