• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cosplay In Smash: An Interview With Staphany Pachon

Would you like to see more cosplay at Smash events?

• Yes!

Votes: 184 85.6%
  • No.

Votes: 19 8.8%
  • Unsure

Votes: 12 5.6%

• Total voters
Some of the most fun that happens at any large get together of Smash fans are the cosplays of Nintendo characters. Genesis 3 was no exception to this and there were many bright and exciting costumes for fans going across the venue to snap selfies with and enjoy. One such person Staphany Pachon, a 21 year old college student studying mechanical engineering who loves to attend and compete in Smash events. To get an idea on what Genesis 3 looks like through the eyes of a cosplayer we sat down for an interview to discuss cosplay at Smash events, the potential of sponsoring cosplayers, her hobby, and more.

---​

Staphany with her Genesis 3 badge

SmashCapps: Thanks again for the interview. Introduce yourself to anyone out there who doesn't know you.

Staphany
: So Hi, my name is Staphany Pachon. I am a 21 year old college student studying mechanical engineering with a passion for playing video games and cosplaying! I am also founder and president of my college's gaming club. It just so happens Smash is a big hit with the students! I work at my college as a math tutor as well. We have students in the club who are interested in playing Smash casually and competitively.

I recently found out about the competitive scene in Smash and was encouraged to join tournaments such as Smash The Record 2015, Frame Perfect Series 2015, and Genesis 3 2016. I found it as a good opportunity to cosplay too. I hope the community enjoyed seeing my cosplays, I would love to keep doing them! For those wondering, yes I do enter as a competitor in these tournaments!

SmashCapps
: So having started cosplaying at Smash tournaments within the last year, have you found them to be a positive experience? What kinds of differences do you see compared to other places you cosplay?

Staphany: Well I live in Central Florida and have only attended to Megacon 2013 and 2014 with my cosplays. I just started going to Smash tournaments in them. Honestly both have been a positive experience for me! However because I do enjoy playing video games very much, I find cosplaying in tournaments to be a nice change of pace from cosplaying in conventions!

True, I am cosplaying to a smaller audience compared to conventions, but it also makes it easier to be a part of a new community with people I see again from time to time. Whenever I'm not taking pictures or answering questions when I'm in cosplay, I get to sit back and enjoy the tournament. I find myself learning more about the game, gaining experience as a player and making new friends! It's honestly been such a remarkable experience so far, I'd love to keep coming back to the tournament scene with my cosplays.

SmashCapps: So I know many people really enjoy seeing cosplay at events. What are some things that event organizers can do to encourage cosplayers to attend Smash tournaments?

Staphany
: Advertise it to the audience on stream or create a page letting people know! Many people know friends who cosplay or are even cosplayers themselves. Who knows, it could just inspire someone to come in cosplay who might have never thought about doing so otherwise.

SmashCapps
: Are there any special considerations to be made at the event itself that would make for a better experience to cosplayer?

Staphany
: It would be nice having a photo booth set up or a location where people can easily come up and take pictures with cosplayers. As a cosplayer, we come dressed up for people to enjoy seeing us at an event and we are more than happy to take pictures. More often than not though, I see people are shy to approach or don't know where to find us at an event. More than anything, it would be nice if someone helped announce or advertise us any event we attend! We are friendly folk, just approach us with a smile and you can't go wrong!

We would love sponsorships too haha. Cosplaying is expensive and time consuming, but well worth for the audience and to cosplayers themselves!

SmashCapps
: Sponsorships for cosplay? Sounds interesting! Explain what you mean.

Staphany
: Well I was hoping there could be something similar available to cosplayers as they have for players in terms of sponsorships! Part of the reason I have only been able to muster up 4 cosplays in the past 3 years is because it's expensive! Not only to just buy the materials needed to make a cosplay, but also to buy the tickets needed to enter the event I plan to attend with my cosplays. It was a miracle I was even able to attend Genesis 3 this year. I had to pay for my plane ticket and hotel on top of ZSS's cosplay costs and G3's registration fee. Not to mention I have to pay for my college classes and books. I would love to keep traveling with my cosplays for Smash tournaments, but the financial cost is very stressful.

I don't know if cosplay sponshorships even exist, but the idea to me sounds very appealing. Even if it can just help pay for a plane ticket or hotel, any money would help. Especially if the community wants to see more cosplays. I can definitely help with that.

But even if there aren't any cosplay sponsorships, I will keep trying. I plan to start up a Twitch account soon, probably sometime this week and hope to be successful enough to earn the money I need to pay for my cosplay and travel expenses.

The Smash community has made such a powerful and positive impact on me, I am now driven to make more cosplays and make the effort to go to the major tournaments. I know it seems desperate of me haha but I will fight as hard as I can to make opportunities possible for me as a cosplayer and competitor.

SmashCapps
: So do you think things like potentially having venue fees waved for players and potentially a few hotel rooms in exchange for work at a photo area during an event could be a cool thing for tournament organizers to start doing?

Staphany
: Yes of course! Any help to take off the financial burden is highly appreciated. For that I would take a hundred photos! Just get in contact with the players. Reach out to them and see what happens.

SmashCapps: Is there a good way for people to get ahold of cosplayers for these sorts of things?

Staphany: Most cosplayers use social media to put themselves out there - Facebook page, Twitter, Instagram, etc. If there's someone you want to get a hold of, just do some research, look up their info and send them a message letting them know you're interested in working with them!

And if you see them in person, make sure to get their e-mail or give them your business card so they can get back to you. Communication is very important when working with anybody. Once you get in contact, stay in contact!

There was a problem fetching the tweet

SmashCapps
: So for events that may not have easy photo opportunities, what is the correct or polite way to ask for a photo?

Staphany: Best way to ask for a photo is to approach us! Simply walk up, have a camera ready and ask for a photo. It's really not that bad! I've taken countless selfies, portraits, and I even bring props for those who want pictures with them. For instance, most people know my Sheik cosplay. I bring her needles and an Ocarina of Time. Someone asked me if I had her harp, but sadly I don't so I will think about making one now! People always freak out when I pull out the needles haha (in a good way!) I even do different poses or whatever would look good in a photo.

But the core fundamentals is to have eye contact and be friendly. I try to be as open and welcoming as I can as a cosplayer. I hope it helps encourage people to approach me if they want a picture with one of my cosplays!

If you see us from a distance and can't reach us, just shout out the name of our cosplay. I don't expect to know who I am or my real name - I often reply if someone says: "Hey Sheik!"

SmashCapps
: Are there any absolute no-nos to interacting with cosplayers you have to deal with often?

Staphany
: Wow I had to think about this one! I am still new as a cosplayer, Sheik is my third cosplay made and ZSS (Zero Suit Samus) is my fourth. In my experience thus far, I haven't had many bad interactions. Being a female too, it goes down to just having respect for us. Something to be careful about is when you see cosplayers, please be aware when you're passing by us. In photos, it's polite to ask before placing a hand on us, whether it be around our hip, or on a part of our costume - You don't know what is fragile and you most certainly don't want to accidentally break a part of our costumes off! I have often gone to the bathroom during events just to fix something I see falling off. I get super embarrassed by it!

SmashCapps
: So from any cosplayers outside the Smash community looking at it for potentially showing their craft at its events, would you have any words to say encouraging them to do so?

Staphany
: Just do it! Haha it's honestly a win-win for both parties. Cosplayers get a chance to show off their craft and promote themselves to new faces while the Smash community gets another enjoyable memory out of the event. The Smash community is very welcoming and they would appreciate any cosplayers to show up!

I suppose the Smash community could even organize a cosplay contest or an event to call in any cosplayers to do a run or a live interview in front of the audience.

SmashCapps: Cosplay contests at Smash events on stream?

Staphany
: Why not? I was interviewed on stream at Smash The Record 2015. The Twitch chat went wild, it was surprising to see how many people enjoyed seeing my cosplay! I had the chance to end up on stream or even on stage at Genesis 3 but I actually didn't show up with my cosplay on the last day so I ended up sitting second front row in the audience instead of backstage! I felt bad, most of the people I knew were backstage and I only found out after Genesis was over that they were looking for me! I would have walked out in my Sheik cosplay when TSM ZeRo won the tournament.

But without a doubt, I really do think people at the event and viewers at home would enjoy seeing cosplays at these tournaments.

SmashCapps
: If there's a Smasher reading who wanted to get into cosplay itself, would have suggestions for entering the hobby?

Staphany: I would definitely encourage anyone reading this to cosplay! Honestly, cosplay is what you make of it. There's a common misconception that cosplays have to be made from scratch by the person wearing it - that's not true! If you want to be Rosalina by carrying plush Luma and wearing a crown then do it. If you want to cosplay as Lucina but you decide to buy her costume online and have Chinese seamstresses make it look amazing for you, then so be it. The only limits that exist are those you make for yourself. I happen to make my from parts because there is a bit of pride that goes into each and every one of my cosplays. Plus it's always nice having someone ask, "Wow! Did you make that cosplay yourself?" And I get to reply, "Yes I did!"

And for anyone wanting to get into cosplay but never tried it, don't be afraid to try. We all had to start somewhere. There's still a lot I'm learning in the craft of cosplaying. What materials to use, how to attach something, making sure the cosplay is comfortable, wearable and durable... I am just starting out but there's only one path to go from where I started: forward.

---​

A special thank you again to Staphany for the interview. To keep up with her cosplay and see more pictures be sure follow her on Twitter. Would it be nice to see more cosplayers at Smash events? Sound off in the poll and comments below and stay tuned to Smashboards for future interviews!

Comments

That costume work is absolutely fantastic though, seriously. Kind of inspires me to finish this Izaya cosplay I had worked on.

Imagine playing against someone cosplaying as Ganondorf or Bowser in a tournament...

But this is pretty cool! I like the idea of people cosplaying more at Smash events, and I think cosplay contests and the like would make things a lot of fun for everyone.

D
2 things.

1. Why hasn't anyone noticed the illuminati on Sheik's outfit.
2.I can almost guarantee you that "Staphany" isn't legit. They probably got a name change, amongst many other things.

No one noticed muh armor king cosplay at Tekken

But then again that's a little common

Amazing cosplay btw must've costed thousands so a wise choice since ahe rocks it well

Last edited:
Nice interview! It's also interesting to learn more about somewhat known cosplayers, and of course to see how good these are at events!

That was definitely an informative interview. It's good to see things at the perspective of the cosplayer. I'm sure they bring a lot more interest to the venue as well.

I go to a ton of conventions every year, and although I don't cosplay very much, I'm highly involved with the community as a dedicated cosplay photographer (https://www.facebook.com/YGKphotos/ https://www.flickr.com/photos/ygktech/albums). This hardly makes me an expert, but I thought I'd share my thoughts on a few of the questions:

On the subject of getting more cosplayers to attend smash events: Many cosplayers, even casual ones, enjoy 'publicizing' their costumes, sharing their work with as many people as possible, so cosplayers who normally wouldn't attend a tournament as a player would still be interested in going to events just to show their costume off and interact with the players. If the event is convenient for them to travel to, I'm sure many cosplayers would come out to an event and hang around for a few hours for nothing more than the invitation to do so.

When it comes to interacting with cosplayers, you really should just walk up to them and ask for a photo. But don't forget to actually ask. 99% of the time they will say yes, but knowing you want a photo will give them the chance to pose, or get props out of their bag, etc.

P.S. I think a cosplayers-only bracket would be a great stream event for Smash the Record 2016, players can only play the character they are cosplaying.

Do events allow you to carry around objects that look like swords (even if they're fake)?
Most do I believe, while some don't.

From what my brother's told me, cons like comic con will check some of them to make sure it's fake and safe, and then usually your allowed to go into the con with it.

Well I was summarizing it but since the salt is real, just to appease you, I went back to edit it to your exact quote. Enjoy.

Last edited:
I love Smash cosplayers, she is very talented and her costumes always look great! Hope she can continue to attend and make new ones, it's always a joy to see them.

lmfao get a life
Coming from the guy that literally just came into an informative cosplay article for his weird spank bank collection? Somehow Im not too worried about meeting your "rigorous" standards. Just seems like you're ashamed of your original post honestly.

Last edited:
..You've been editing every single post, yet I'M the one ashamed. Ok.

I'm kind as in I try to get along with or even help people I meet. However, like-whorz/opportunists like yourself become an exception. You nerds make me cringe. I'm happy to spend a minute and be the one to make you ppl look bad if you deserve it, which you do. It's funny and I like to laugh.

I post only when and bc I feel like it, dgaf about any kind of attention when I do, and I generally love everyone that IDK- I never try to be rude or embarass someone that I haven't even spoken to. You do just that, for internet attention, though apparently you're 26. You're pathetic. Idec what you have to say to this since it's no contest. GG. Bye felicia.

Top Bottom