• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Corrin Stage Discussion Thread

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

Welcome to the Corrin Stage Discussion Thread. The purpose of this thread is to spark discussion on how Corrin fares on each stage, which ones best complement his/her moveset, and which ones are most detrimental. Important information regarding stages may be stored here as necessary.

Discuss!

D

Deleted member

Battlefield is a hella good stage for Corrin, in my opinion. He can use platforms to his advantage thanks to up tilt being such a great move for starting juggles below platforms, and Battlefield's low ceiling (with Dream Land's also being lower, which is another great stage for him) allows us to net relatively early up air and up throw/down throw kills, especially on the top platform.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Platforms: How do they help Corrin, and which stages with them benefit him the most?

For reference, these are the most common stages with platforms:

-Battlefield
-Smashville
-Town and City
-Lylat Cruise
-Duck Hunt
-Dream Land (64)

Goulmania

Smash Cadet
NNID
Goulmania
I think the best stages for corrin are dreamland, battlefield and smashville in that order.

He has great pressure from below platforms that can lead into combos so DL and BF seems like the best picks for him + he can use those platforms to juke his opponent with Dragon Lunge. Dreamland also has a lowish ceiling for up-throw.

For smashville I think the moving platform can help him recover high sometimes improving his lacking recovery.

His worst stage I believe is lylat cruise, the stage tilting can mess up instant pin and his recovery. Maybe it's just me not being used to it yet though.

Skitrel

Smash Journeyman
Disagree with Dreamland. One of the strongest things going for Corrin are tippers and DL wind has a habit of changing your spacing at the edge during an opponent's getup, this flubs what would have been kills far too frequently.

Agree with issues on tilting stages.

IP benefits from some specific stage shapes that allow Corrin to get 2 frame punishers on ledge snaps with tippers while simultaneously pinning the stage. Works well on DH and flat sided stages, doesn't work well on Battlefield shaped ledges.

Battlefield is a large stage, both top and sides, allowing for opponents to survive longer. TC and Smashville allow for significantly earlier kills which is Corrin's strongpoint, Omega stages with flat sides that benefit IP ledge snaps are a good pick in place of FD, even better if we pick a stage with grass to take advantage of the increased friction as Corrin doesn't need to use jumpcancelled usmash, this lowers the offensive capability of a kill option that most of the cast uses while not harming us and benefiting.

There's a lot more to consider here, but that's currently where I'm at.

Current priorities: Ban Lylat. Pick TC. Pick Smashville. Pick flat sided omega stage with grass.

I don't think she performs BAD on anything other than Lylat and the downsides of DL, so there isn't anything too scary in the stage pick process for her.

Obviously the mentality of stage picking should never really be about picking what's good for us but what's bad for the opponent. Smashville becomes a ban vs Sheik and Battlefield becomes a priority in that scenario to capitalise on surviving longer against her poor kill options, amongst numerous other matchup dependent priorities and choices.

Last edited:

Fex13

Smash Apprentice
I think the best stages for corrin are dreamland, battlefield and smashville in that order.

He has great pressure from below platforms that can lead into combos so DL and BF seems like the best picks for him + he can use those platforms to juke his opponent with Dragon Lunge. Dreamland also has a lowish ceiling for up-throw.

For smashville I think the moving platform can help him recover high sometimes improving his lacking recovery.

His worst stage I believe is lylat cruise, the stage tilting can mess up instant pin and his recovery. Maybe it's just me not being used to it yet though.
you are right on lylat, it fells terrible imo.
that said, i agree with you but think town and city is even better for corrin than smashville due to its lower ceiling( throws and upair kill earlier) and corrin is able to control and abuse the platforms better than most of the other characters.

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
Omega stages with flat sides
Nobody's really talking about these??? They would be my preferred pick at the moment, since they can provide Corrin with some clutch recoveries and facilitate D-air spikes

Last edited:

Skitrel

Smash Journeyman
I'm not too fussed about the recoveries, I haven't really found a situation where we can't recover horizontally yet. We might have to use our recovery earlier but it gets enough horizontal distance to get back to stage from any distance a horizontal attack knocks us off.

I've not toyed with dair spikes enough yet to really judge whether they're valuable in actually play for her, probably are as they benefit the rest of the cast.

Benoas

Smash Cadet
Battlefield is a hella good stage for Corrin, in my opinion. He can use platforms to his advantage thanks to up tilt being such a great move for starting juggles below platforms, and Battlefield's low ceiling (with Dream Land's also being lower, which is another great stage for him) allows us to net relatively early up air and up throw/down throw kills, especially on the top platform.
I definitely agree that battlefield and dreamland are good stages for Corrin and I see what you mean here, but to clear up any confusion, Battlefield actually has an extremely high ceiling! One of the highest in the game and the highest legal stage. It only appears low due to the high platforms.

Rioku

Smash Cadet
NNID
RiokuMattenake
I have many thoughts on this.

Battlefield:
Our best stage in my opinion. We kill off the top, yes, but we really don't have a problem killing off the top and that higher ceiling means nothing compared to how easy it is to DL all around that stage. The lower two platforms are the perfect height for us and this stage really helps against projectile spam, something I feel that Corrin normally struggles to combat.

Dreamland:
Second best stage. The platforms are higher making it slightly harder to maneuver the stage with DL, however, that also makes DFS a stronger option against slow characters who can't get away very well. The lower ceiling also helps a bunch with getting early kills with up air or a throw.

Town and City:
The low ceiling helps a bunch, and so do the platforms. The platforms rest at a good height to get to with a full hop and all the momentum options we have out of neutral b most of the time. and the pin gives us another way to get the occasional kill when the platforms leave I guess. It's not bad for us, but the battle field layout is strictly better.

Starterville:
It's FD with a moving platform, which means it's better than FD for us. Projectile spam is hard to get around on this map due to the single platform limiting our movement options, but we can also projectile spam characters who can't beat ours here too.

Duck Hunt:
High platforms make for early kills with up air. Walls make down air a much better option off stage. The dog makes pinning there absolutely hilarious sometimes. But other than the wonky appearing platforms and that one bush or the occasional land on the tree, the stage plays mostly like FD with walls. Which is better than FD for us.

Final Destination:
Projectile spam is hard here. So hard to deal with. On the other hand, we have a projectile meaning characters without projectiles can get spammed by us. FD is also pretty easy to get stage spikes with DL for some reason. I'd rather not go here especially if we can go somewhere like Omega Onett instead.

Lylat Cruise:
Please no. I went here once. Never again.

Wooper

Smash Rookie
NNID
IamWooper
Battlefield is the best for sure, Not sure about dream land but i need to play it more. Don't really like FD or Omegas besides the one with the walls to recover on

ive done some sick pins on duck hunt lol

really tho lylat is horrible

Garde Noir

Smash Journeyman
Platforms: How do they help Corrin, and which stages with them benefit him the most?

For reference, these are the most common stages with platforms:

-Battlefield
-Smashville
-Town and City
-Lylat Cruise
-Duck Hunt
-Dream Land (64)
Besides the ability to instant jump from parallel to above the platform, platforms help with Fair strings, increase counter's strength, give options for recovering that doesn't involve sweetspotting the ledge vs amazing edgeguarding characters like Sheik, Villager and ZSS. There's also DL canceling tech that Abadango came up with that's really tricky, but could be useful that requires platforms.

As for which benefit Corrin? Well, battlefield is by far the best. The placement of the platforms, size of the ceiling, and slanted base benefiting our usually suboptimal Up-B recovery, and some areas allowing for DL Spikes makes it a stage where mobility is easily benefitted from, and capitalized upon with plenty of space in any direction. Other than that, switch Dreamland and Lylat, and you pretty much have the answer. While some people in the thread may find the wind from Dreamland more detrimental than platforms that only consistently cover the left side of the stage, I would rather have my mobility to dodge attacks and hit when I can with the occasional tipper miss than I would facing off in Duck Hunt against characters that can dominate the stage a little more, which tends to be what I play against more often than not. I respectfully disagree due only to personal preference of those who would rather play on Duck Hunt than Dreamland.

I also tend to prefer to bring heavier characters to Town and City. I just find the way the platforms leave brings them more pressure to recover than it does me to, and the way they're placed is really nice for up-tilt to up-air strings.

If it hasn't been rehashed enough, The loss of any consistency in DL Spikes, tippers and sweetspot recovering, as well as the loss of any sort of mobility options via the platforms (who does straight platforms? Where does that lead to? Who benefits from that?) should deter anyone from Lylat.

Corrout

Smash Rookie
Since nobody has mentioned for 3DS legal stages, for something like Anther's Ladder netplay, here's an opinion on those!

(Again, this is 3DS, as I have little access to WiiU, and while I'm aware there's a very small tournament presence, there is still some)

Battlefield - It's a neutral map, and platforms are great for Corrin.

Dreamland 64 - It's a counterpick map, but still got platforms! Wind can be an issue, but not all too much since it's not unpredictable.

Arena Ferox - Counterpick map, inconsistent platforms, but there's some funky stuff that can be done here. My personal favorite is the setup where there's a hanging platform over the left ledge shaped like a ^. An up-b at a decently high percent can stage spike people off of the bottom of the platform, right off the stage. It's a pretty good map in any of the platformed variants.

Yoshi's Island - Neutral map, single platform in middle that tilts, so that can **** with platform shenanigans, and create others. Floor is uneven which can greatly **** with ledgeguard locations and side-b in general. Sides can help recover, but same with enemies.

Duck Hunt - Counterpick map, uneven spacing of platforms and it's just odd. It's not a bad map by any means, but can still have odd benefits and bonuses. If you can manage pulling your enemy into the tree, you can kill up the top rather easy, but other than that, the roof is rather high, the sides can help you recover, but help other characters as well.

Prism Tower - It's just a stupid counterpick map, I'll be honest. It's got walk-offs at the beginning, no platforms some times, platforms over center stage other times, platforms on the sides of the stage others, a shrunk center stage at points, and single platforms over center some times. It's got a lot of changing that Corrin can't really take advantage of. Especially the side platform portion. That part's just stupid.

Final Destination - The year is 20XX and fox ha- Corrin just can't really do well here. No second option of recovery as there aren't stage walls, no platforms to get enemies onto, depending on the opponent, it can be hard to close in, also due to lack of platforms, so on.

Zaprong

Smash Apprentice
What

Lylat cruise is actually really good for Corrin, sure, it tilts, but we actually cant get pinappled at all.

Upb actually has two stages, one where he is transformed and one where he detransforms, if we are stuck under lylat in the part 1 of upb, you can aim for the ledge on the second part and be normaly fine (I already recovered like this twice).

Also gives dissadvantage to projectile users, something corrin is not very strong playing against. And finally, the landing hit of dair hits below the edges of lylat, I got few kills with that.

So yeah, I might say its his second best stage actually

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
What

Lylat cruise is actually really good for Corrin, sure, it tilts, but we actually cant get pinappled at all.

Upb actually has two stages, one where he is transformed and one where he detransforms, if we are stuck under lylat in the part 1 of upb, you can aim for the ledge on the second part and be normaly fine (I already recovered like this twice).

Also gives dissadvantage to projectile users, something corrin is not very strong playing against. And finally, the landing hit of dair hits below the edges of lylat, I got few kills with that.

So yeah, I might say its his second best stage actually
The problem isn't the pineapple, everybody has to deal with it. Besides, once you play on it enough you almost never get pineappled. The problem is the tilt the map makes. Yes, it creates a disadvantageous situation for projectile users, but it also neutralizes two of our strongest weapons: DFS and DL. We effectively lose a reliable kill option and a paralyzing projectile.

It's the same reason why Battlefield being better than Town and City is largely character dependent. Although we kill off the top there are some characters that benefits from low ceilings more than us.

Zaprong

Smash Apprentice
We lose a paralizing projectile, yes, but our projectile loses to any projectile in the entire game, so it hurts more the characters with projectiles than us.

Also DL is not nonexistant, in fact, its still really good because the platforms are super low whcih means the hitbox is out for more time, covers more distance, and hits reliably opponents below platforms because of the platform height.

Karinole

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Karinole
Yeah, from my experience in tournament with lylat, it's actually a very good stage for corrin. The tilt only messes up DL when facing down and it becomes easier to do instantly when facing up. The platform layout is very useful for corrin to shark under and you can pin onto them off a short hop.

Zephil

Smash Ace
I also believe that Lylat may be a good stage for Corrin but it requires a lot of practice in the stage to make full advantage of it.

Understanding the tilting, how it reacts with DL specially on platforms.

Corrin is a monster juggling people so having three platforms should very beneficial for her.

Just don't pick this stage against Pikachu, that rat becomes a f@#$%ing monster on that stage!

Skitrel

Smash Journeyman
There's more to Corrin's ledge tipper game with some stages that's worth exploring. I recommend others test out Luigi's Mansion Omega for the ledges, I've had extreme level of success getting tipper IP straight through the stage floor before they snap.

It's easy mode. I feel like there's a different interaction occurring on recoveries with this stage. The closest similar stage is Battlefield but I don't get nearly as much consistency through the stage floor there compared to this. What's interesting is that there isn't another stage in the game with ledges even remotely close to this one other than BF.

Last edited:
Top Bottom