• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Corrin Social - Still Fire Emblem Social

D

Deleted member

I thought Sakurai mentioned in a past Direct that this would be the last game? At least, with him as Director, since it was taking quite a toll on his health. I wonder why everyone keeps talking about a Smash 5? Not that I don't hope for one, but I feel like that's too far into the future to even think about. It was seven years from Melee to Brawl, and six till Smash 4. And they've stuffed it with enough stuff to keep us busy for a few more years. After all, hyped characters now might not be so relevant by that time because there will be new ones.
Why didn't I think about that? Smash 5 might not ever be a thing and I'm totally fine with that. I'll probably be like 30 if it ever comes out anyway.

Aein

Smash Cadet
NNID
vesferi
Why didn't I think about that? Smash 5 might not ever be a thing and I'm totally fine with that. I'll probably be like 30 if it ever comes out anyway.
Nuu, we're all children at heart no matter the age!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Nuu, we're all children at heart no matter the age!
I'm just worried I might not be into gaming by then and I'm afraid I'll be more into "adult" stuff. It's a very scary thought indeed.

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
Looks like i'm gonna have to throw down some money for a premium membership if I want to rep f!corrin

Aein

Smash Cadet
NNID
vesferi
I'm just worried I might not be into gaming by then and I'm afraid I'll be more into "adult" stuff. It's a very scary thought indeed.
Very true. And who knows how technology or the world will be like then. Ahh... no better time to enjoy than the present, I guess.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Very true. And who knows how technology or the world will be like then. Ahh... no better time to enjoy than the present, I guess.
I still think there's a good chance I might into that stuff though. I'm not like most people my age.

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
I made a couple of nice quality gifs last night if anybody likes those. If anyone has any requests for parts of the trailer/moveset preview that aren't already gifed by someone yet i might have time to get around to it

Last edited:

Neoleo21

Smash Apprentice
Fates pretty much took awakening and improved every aspect of it from a gameplay perspective. The balancing is better, even for children, skills are better in quality and don't necessitate grinding, all weapons are involved in the weapon triangle bar beast stones and dragon stones, weapons don't break but special weapons like armor slayers are rarer and all weapons carry additional effects, there's a new debuff mechanic to combat the potential issue of stat inflation, there are status staves such as freeze and weakness, pair up was changed into two stances, each with their own perks, master seals are more limited until late game, there's a tremendous amount of variety in the level design for all routes, not just Nohr even if Nohr is the hardest difficulty, I think there's lots of creative stuff this time around.

Character wise, I think Fates characters are an improvement as well, many of them are juxtaposed with some idea or issue which make them interesting, many of them have foils and in some cases multiple foils that help to deconstruct the character a bit. The standouts are naturally the sibling characters which have quite a number of subtle touches in their characterization throughout their supports and the story (and even what they don't say). There's still some one note characters (as with any FE or really any game with this many characters [about 70]), but many are much more interesting than Awakening's cast, and they more often than not have a decent reason to join your party. The reasoning for children is quite silly though, but some of the children do provide some insight into their parents and some are pretty good as well though they aren't as solid character wise as the first gen overall. There's less repetition in supports as well.

I feel the pacing is also an improvement for all the routes, any "breaks" or transitions are at most 2 chapters long. There's nothing like the Valm arc here, but to prevent things from feeling too fast, the supports and my castle constructions help ease things out.

Story wise will be divisive I feel, from what I understand the structure is based on something called "question-heart-answer". Each of those parts is a full self contained story but focus on different aspects of an overarching story. Question is the simple set up of the world and struggle though some characters might not be fully elaborated on or merely hinted at here, the heart is an emotional take on the story which focuses on breaking down aspects of the main characters though overarching plot points aren't really tackled, the answer is the last part that wraps everything up and clears up details not covered in the other paths. In FE14, the question is Birthright, Heart is Nohr and Revelations is the answer, which is mainly why I suggest playing in that order to get the best sense of the story. Another story that uses this structure would be the visual novel Fate/Stay Night and its three routes, Fate, Unlimited Blade Works and Heaven's Feel. It's worth going into FE14's story with this in mind. There's some contrived plot devices here and there (something FE has always struggled with), but the characters are good and sell the story well, I feel.

The presentation is also an improvement I think, cutscenes even outside the CG (which there is more of than awakening, (though I think Awakening has better quality scenes by comparison because madhouse did them there instead of studio anima here) have more angles and better cinematography, the models are more detailed, they animated those models better. However, there is an issue of Pop in for battle sequences, which is a shame, though combat animations are also better.

Hopefully everyone enjoys the game though.

Zionaze

Smash Ace
Btw Japan had the exact opposite reaction for the direct. Everyone was happy and cheering for Kamui and when they revealed Bayonetta, everyone was like "who?"

Zantetsugun

Wyvern Lord
NNID
ShiningDestiny
3DS FC
1564-3960-9979
I'm actually surprised a lot of people in this thread weren't expecting Kamui / Corrin, because I honestly had a strong gut feeling Kamui was going to make it into Smash no matter what. The most relevant and successful game release from Nintendo recently is Fates in Japan, and it would be a great marketing tool for the West. Plus, he/she would be such a unique character with the whole water ninja fluid dragon lord style. The only thing in the way was "Would another Fire Emblem rep really be possible?" I mean... we got Robin, Lucina and Roy this installment! And Chrom cameos, returning Lyn assist trophy, and the Black Knight Mii costume too! As beautiful as all this is for a Fire Emblem fan, I didn't dare hope for more...

But as soon as the direct started and they showed the Fates cutscene, I knew the staff didn't care about that! Kamui was a done deal! xD It was tremendously satisfying. We've finally completed the Fire Emblem triangle of magic, swords and shapeshifters!

Can't wait till February!
Kamui / Corrin was definitely on my wish list, but with Fire Emblem already having 5 characters to it's name in Smash (along with 2 very nice Mii costumes), and their game of origin having not been released outside of Japan, I put them relatively low on my radar because I just really didn't think they had a good enough chance to make it in.

Low and behold, how wrong I was proven, and I'm so glad that I my doubts were indeed unfounded!
I thought Sakurai mentioned in a past Direct that this would be the last game? At least, with him as Director, since it was taking quite a toll on his health. I wonder why everyone keeps talking about a Smash 5? Not that I don't hope for one, but I feel like that's too far into the future to even think about. It was seven years from Melee to Brawl, and six till Smash 4. And they've stuffed it with enough stuff to keep us busy for a few more years. After all, hyped characters now might not be so relevant by that time because there will be new ones.
Probably due to the fact that Nintendo will want to keep this franchise going for as long as possible due to how much of a money-maker / system seller it is, so people just assume that we'll see more Smash games in the future.

These games break records after all!
I made a couple of nice quality gifs last night if anybody likes those. If anyone has any requests for parts of the trailer/moveset preview that aren't already gifed by someone yet i might have time to get around to it

Can we agree that Corrin has the absolute coolest up throw in the history of Smash?
Btw Japan had the exact opposite reaction for the direct. Everyone was happy and cheering for Kamui and when they revealed Bayonetta, everyone was like "who?"
Makes sense, since Fates is doing exceedingly well in Japan right now.

Last edited:

Chapter Serf

Ace Skell Pilot
NNID
ChapterSerf
3DS FC
3969-7074-2956
(I want to keep posting here but I'm afraid of Fates spoilers. Please keep it contained well, people.)
Most people around here are pretty good with spoilers and keeping spoilers in spoiler boxes. I, and others, will make sure that spoilers are kept under wraps when Fates is released in another couple months.

Oatmeal.

Part of a balanced breakfast.
I am officially done with classes for now! I have three weeks of sweet nothing to look forward to.

Most people around here are pretty good with spoilers and keeping spoilers in spoiler boxes. I, and others, will make sure that spoilers are kept under wraps when Fates is released in another couple months.
Thanks, it means a lot.

Last edited:

Luminario

Smash Lord
I kinda wonder why F!Corrin didn't get the blue colours, you know as a reference to Azura. Pink and black look gorgeous though. Also I know it was mentioned a few pages back but I am so glad they didn't give her the weird thigh gap in her trousers cause that really annoys me about her original design.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
weapons don't break but special weapons like armor slayers are rarer and all weapons carry additional effects
Did you actually play the game or are you reviewing it from an observant onlooker's perspective? If the former, what did you think about the weapons? I remember there being a ton of concern about the loss of the durability system and that the new mechanics sounded confusing. Personally, I'm excited for it since I'm stingy with money in most games and I hate seeing my stuff break.

Interestingly, the Japanese character popularity poll revealed that most of the top spots were occupied by royalty. It's interesting to see that they got so much love, but it concerns me that the side characters might not be as quirky and fun as Awakening's. At least the first generation doesn't become useless when the kids come along.

Nice review of the game. It's my most wanted recent game (KH3, where are you?) and this makes the wait unbearable.

I kinda wonder why F!Corrin didn't get the blue colours, you know as a reference to Azura. Pink and black look gorgeous though. Also I know it was mentioned a few pages back but I am so glad they didn't give her the weird thigh gap in her trousers cause that really annoys me about her original design.
The lack of an Azura reference is strange. Initially, I wanted colors of all of the royalty in Fates, but then I realized that most of them share color schemes (Hinoka, Sakura, and Ryouma, and all of the Nohrian kids)... I guess what we got is fine.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Did you actually play the game or are you reviewing it from an observant onlooker's perspective? If the former, what did you think about the weapons? I remember there being a ton of concern about the loss of the durability system and that the new mechanics sounded confusing. Personally, I'm excited for it since I'm stingy with money in most games and I hate seeing my stuff break.
Only healing staves/wands break. With a revised weapon triangle and weapons that gamble damage for the reduction of a stat....and weapons that flat out just reduce opponent stats when hit, it added a fresh experience to me. Be sure to take advantage over forging this game, while usually strong, I feel it'd be especially strong in this game.

Interestingly, the Japanese character popularity poll revealed that most of the top spots were occupied by royalty. It's interesting to see that they got so much love, but it concerns me that the side characters might not be as quirky and fun as Awakening's. At least the first generation doesn't become useless when the kids come along.
May be a bit biased because I really enjoyed Conquest's route, but I feel the characters from the conquest route are just about all amazing. Not to say that the characters from Birthright are bland though, I feel both sides have more personality than the characters from Awakening. Kids out stat first generation, but you don't have to feel limited to using the children in order to succeed. Hell you could just do the game without them. Though if you're looking for extra exp benefits, doing the maps on Conquest could be worth your time.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
Only healing staves/wands break. With a revised weapon triangle and weapons that gamble damage for the reduction of a stat....and weapons that flat out just reduce opponent stats when hit, it added a fresh experience to me. Be sure to take advantage over forging this game, while usually strong, I feel it'd be especially strong in this game.
Good to hear, especially about forging. I was actually just asked about forging last night by my brother. I'm totally looking forward to forging Odin some cool-sounding weapons- how about Blackhearted Conquer of Fate the Fire tome?

May be a bit biased because I really enjoyed Conquest's route, but I feel the characters from the conquest route are just about all amazing. Not to say that the characters from Birthright are bland though, I feel both sides have more personality than the characters from Awakening. Kids out stat first generation, but you don't have to feel limited to using the children in order to succeed. Hell you could just do the game without them. Though if you're looking for extra exp benefits, doing the maps on Conquest could be worth your time.
To me, Awakening set the bar high with characters- they may have been one trick ponies (there's a better phrase that I'm forgetting), but they were typically sweet and genuine. Still, my favorites were the less stock ones that had a bit more to them (like Owain and Inigo). I'm looking forward to seeing these new characters in action so that I can judge them for myself.

I hadn't considered the child maps as extra exp, which sounds amazing actually. Note to self, plan which kids I want to use and then use them in other kid maps for exp. I do like some of the kids's designs, so I'm sure that I will use them, but it's good to know that the adults still hold their own.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Inigo, Cherche, and Cynthia were my favs from awakening. But yeah I'm sure you'll enjoy the characters.

Any future Corrin mains planning on attending Final Round? If the new doc is legal id totes like to see some good representation so soon after release

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
@Yaki: "Is that Corrin with Yoshikage Kira?"
Actual quote from @Yaki just now.
53884353_p0.jpg

Last edited:

Zantetsugun

Wyvern Lord
NNID
ShiningDestiny
3DS FC
1564-3960-9979
It tops Charizard's. And that's saying something.

Now if this video could finish processing I could get to bed...
The only throw more awesome than SEISMIC TOSS!

While I was perusing the web, I came across these very nice alternate color palette concepts for Corrin!

I do enjoy the fact that they managed to (correctly) predict a pink palette for Corrinne.

Last edited:

Izayoi

zzz
NNID
iza-tomato
The only throw more awesome than SEISMIC TOSS!

While I was perusing the web, I came across these very nice alternate color palette concepts for Corrin!

I do enjoy the fact that they managed to (correctly) predict a pink palette for Corrinne.
They were actually pretty close with the red palette too. Not to mention, the black one might be the wrong gender but it's pretty spot on.

Neoleo21

Smash Apprentice

I imported the game about 2 months ago and looked up as many translations of all the supports, my castle dialogue and story as I could. The UI basically makes the weapons changing stats around a non-issue, because it's similar to Awakening's excellent UI, it has easily the best UI in the series. Durability wise, they limit your purchases based on progress in the game, early on you can only buy a limited number of Steel Swords. In Hoshido you only get one armor slayer and one hammer in the whole route, so rationing them becomes vital for lategame where you fight tons of Great Knights and Generals, even more so since your magic users aren't the best around in this series. The loss of durability really changed nothing fundamental really and the addition of effects increased the depth. Also they nerfed Forging by a ton. It's still a great option just not nearly as broken as other games.

Characters are still quirky I mean, they're just a lot more interesting than in Awakening. You still have your psychopaths and gimmicks (there's a character with AWFUL luck, but is a total hero and has amazing supports both serious, hilarious and somewhat inspirational too) too but they're there for a good reason both explicitly and implicitly. Some characters spell out their backstory based on the situation (aka times where they are emotionally weak or don't really care), other times, you have to piece it together based on supports where they might not even be a part of. Even characters like Camilla who initially are there seemingly for Fanservice are much more than that and have a well tied backstory to their motivations and have tropes that are partially deconstructed (There's a good reason why women dominated polls have Camilla high up). It's just relatively the kids aren't as interesting as their parents aside for a couple.

Chapter Serf

Ace Skell Pilot
NNID
ChapterSerf
3DS FC
3969-7074-2956
One thing that I hope for in Fates is that in the Third Path you have cross-faction supports. Like Ryoma and Xander can support each other. I think those would have a ton of potential.

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
One thing that I hope for in Fates is that in the Third Path you have cross-faction supports. Like Ryoma and Xander can support each other. I think those would have a ton of potential.
Yes. You can cross S-Support everyone from the two factions

@Yaki: "Takumi can enter the sweet embrace of Camilla's bosom."

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Here's how it'll go
Ryoma: I want Corrin!
Xander: I want Corrin!
Corrin: Oh boys, there's enough of me to share~
Ryoma and Xander: Hmmm....WE'RE GONNA MARRY THEN WE BOTH HAVE YOU!

Chapter Serf

Ace Skell Pilot
NNID
ChapterSerf
3DS FC
3969-7074-2956
Here's how it'll go
Ryoma: I want Corrin!
Xander: I want Corrin!
Corrin: Oh boys, there's enough of me to share~
Ryoma and Xander: Hmmm....WE'RE GONNA MARRY THEN WE BOTH HAVE YOU!
Actually, I was thinking that Ryoma and Xander specifically would be about them expressing their utter disgust for each other, and getting pissed that they're constantly being forced to put up with the other.

I assume the third route is the canon path, eh?
As far as I know, nothing has been stated about which path is "canon".

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225

**** me, that's what I call HD gifs! Nice work!

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Kamui / Corrin was definitely on my wish list, but with Fire Emblem already having 5 characters to it's name in Smash (along with 2 very nice Mii costumes), and their game of origin having not been released outside of Japan, I put them relatively low on my radar because I just really didn't think they had a good enough chance to make it in.

Low and behold, how wrong I was proven, and I'm so glad that I my doubts were indeed unfounded!

Probably due to the fact that Nintendo will want to keep this franchise going for as long as possible due to how much of a money-maker / system seller it is, so people just assume that we'll see more Smash games in the future.

These games break records after all!

Can we agree that Corrin has the absolute coolest up throw in the history of Smash?

Makes sense, since Fates is doing exceedingly well in Japan right now.
Mewtwo actually has the best one, just saiyan.

Neoleo21

Smash Apprentice
Yes actually, every character has 2-3 cross faction supports in the third route, some of them are pretty cool too. Though Xander/Ryouma is less hatred of each other and more mutual workers but not really friends.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
As soon as I figured out that he was a manakete, I've always thought Corrin would be an awesome Fire Emblem rep and hoped he'd get into Smash 5. I mused over him being DLC but didn't think it would actually happen because I figured if any character that debuted in 2015 was going to get in it was going to be the Inklings. Completely surprised by Corrin and Bayonetta but the two of them look fantastic. Definitely going to buy them in February.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Just need to get through December. Between a Germany trip and school I'm sure January will fly on by lol

Zantetsugun

Wyvern Lord
NNID
ShiningDestiny
3DS FC
1564-3960-9979

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
January is going to drag like crazy (as I resist the temptation to by FF Explorers), but at least I'll enjoy the rest of December with the holidays and my family.

But Fates and Corrin are waiting on the other side... mrrgrrgrr... wait... Bravely Second is coming in February too... darn it... I won't be playing it with Fates to obsess over. Le sigh.

Anyone else want to get the Fates Special Edition and miss out on it? I went to Gamestop today and it was sold out. Darn it...

I feel the need to post this...
Chrom being in the background is easily the best part of this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom