• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Corrin matchup speculation

Saviorr

Smash Cadet
I wonder if Villager will have trouble in the matchup against Corrin. I don't main Villager, I'm trying to main Corrin to cover certain matchups.
I was practicing with Corrin vs a cpu Villager and I noticed that Corrin's range can be problematic for Villager.

Corrin's side b kind of seems to counter Villager's loid rocket. The first part of Corrin's side b destroys the loid rocket without risk of being hit by the loid rocket. Also Corrin doesn't end up in a bad position.
The second part of Corrin's side b also destroys the loid rocket without any chance of the loid rocket hitting and interrupting Corrin.
Corrin's f smash has enough range to destroy the loid rocket without getting hit by it. More importantly Corrin's f smash has enough range to safely hit Villager if he uses loid rocket too close.

It seems like the biggest problem for villager would be that he can't use loid rocket as effectively as he can against the rest of the cast. Villager's loid rocket startup can easliy be punished by Corrin's f smash at ranges that would normally be safe against other characters. The second part of Corrin's side b can ruin a lot of Villager's mix ups and traps with loid rocket.

I think this a big deal since Villager's gameplay revolves around loid rocket. What do you guys think? Are there any other advantages that Corrin has?

Finally I'll just ask if Villager has any specific advantages against Corrin. Is there anything obvious about Villager that would likely counter Corrin? Can you guys think of anything about Corrin that Villager can abuse?

Volya

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheVolya
imo mu is for villager. You can really counter his side b with any weapon of our arsenal (fsmash, side b, fair....) and corrin is really simple to gimp.
Pocketting his neutral b is op af, and like if you time 3 nair correctly starting from the edge (with corrin at the edge and you just after him), he's ded

Moosseff

Smash Apprentice
If corrin dragon lunges the loid its like corrin is begging you to fair or bair him. If they react fast enough to input an attack, it wouldbe noticeable after the first time and easily punished with a run away pivot Fsmash. Imo corrins side b is very bad in the MU. Beationg out loid with another move half of the time means free punish (IE roy fsmashes loid so he doesnt recieve sheild pressure or damage) Although villagers loid is agreat tool, there are some MUs (most of them) where you dont shoot loid freely, the amount of endlag on loid makes it punishable if youre fast enough (unless villager shoots loid from the other end of the stage >_>)

Last edited:

YSS

Smash Cadet
I have been thinking about Villager as a potential secondary, and this was one matchup I thought of that could be advantageous for him. Corrin using his neutral B is essentially asking for trouble with Pocket, so I would think Corrin would have a harder time approaching. Also, wouldn't Villager's disjointed dair outprioritize Corrin's Up-B? Now that would be pretty nasty if it were so.

diop

Smash Rookie
I really have not even played Corrin other than like 10 minutes in training mode and played maybe only 50 matches against them on For Glory, but the projectile game and that stab in to the ground attack are both pretty neutralised and that seems to be what a lot of Corrins rely on. Also that chain charge up attack thing is pretty easy to DI out of and Villager can jump over edgeguard situations with that pretty easily. Obviously I can't say I've really faced a good Corrin yet but so far it doesn't really give me any troubles.

D

Deleted member

I think this a big deal since Villager's gameplay revolves around loid rocket. What do you guys think? Are there any other advantages that Corrin has?
It doesn't revolve around the gyroid.

Other than that, MU's most likely for :4villager:, gimping :4corrin: is a breeze, his weight literally means getting F-Air'd for days. :4corrin:'s range is quite scary, but having a control with F/B-Airs gives him quite an edge. Also, you can Pocket :4corrin:'s :GCB:.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom