• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cool and useful running extendurr grab frame data

GoomySmash

Smash Apprentice
So I was testing out Samus' running extended grapple and it has some interesting properties.

So normal standing extended grapple has 3 different windows to input A. If you input A at the beginning of the animation, it'll put out a grab box for (approximately) the first third of the animation, if you press A during the second third it will put out a grab box during the second third of the animation etc.

The running extended grapple is the same in that it has 3 windows for grabbing.

The running extended grapple comes out frame 18

The 3 windows are
18-33 (Grabs from frames 18 - 33)
34-37 (Grabs from frames 34 - 37)
(for some reason nothing happens when you grab on 38)
39-40 (Grabs from frames 39 -74)

The regular extended grapple's last window does something similar. I don't remember the frame data off of the top of my head but the last window for grabbing is huge and lasts until frame 94 or something. But anyways, the grapple has a grab box as it's reeling in and lasts for surprisingly long.

So basically the meat of what I'm saying is that you have a 2 frame window during the running extended grapple to get a grab box that lasts a ridiculously long time

For reference the non-extended running grapple lasts from 18-32 (or maybe 33?)

I might get some gifs or videos soon, but if you have 20XX you should test it out and see what I'm talking about. The grab box stays at the top of her head for a really long time towards the end of the animation.

Smash Journeyman
From http://smashboards.com/threads/samus-hitboxes-and-frame-data.320253/:

Extended grab

Total: 94
Grab: 18-41 or 42-57 or 59-94
You must press A during the grab window to start grabbing; the grab will continue the remainder of the grab window . The grab-box is larger until and including the last frame before a big flash in the beam (for the first grab window only)

Flashes: 21, 24, 27, 30, 33, 36, 39
Press L to home in
-------------------------------------
Running extended grab

Total: 74
Grab: 18-33

Same rules as standing extended grab
So I didn't notice the last line there, but maybe standardtoaster already knew that (but probably not)... what you found is news to me though :) cool stuff

Last edited:
Top Bottom