• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Convince Me! (April 30 - Wonder Red)

1: Waluigi is very popular, and many would rejoice at his inclusion.
2: Waluigi has tons of potential for a completely unique moveset unlike anything we've ever seen in Smash bros. (Like my moveset idea for instance, mixes the sports spin-offs with many fully unique mechanics and a bit of that "dirty street fighter feeling", along with an ass-load of complete weirdness that no other character can replicate, and it's by far my favorite moveset); he could easily be one of the most fun characters IMO if they do his moveset right.
3: It's a better idea than adding Daisy to increase Mario reps.

Last edited:

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
Yeah my most wanted character! Nice thread btw!

Well, first of all, Waluigi has a LOT of source material to pull up:
  • Mario Tennis: especially the Power Shots from Mario Power Tennis/Power Tour and the Chance Shots seen since Open. Maybe something from Aces too if that game isn't too recent
  • Mario Golf: aside from golf clubs and all, Waluigi's association with roses started in the 3DS Mario Golf I believe. I strongly think he could have attacks and taunts using roses
  • Mario Party: Waluigi was one of the antagonists in Mario Party 3's story, and even had his own board, an island with a lot of machinery and Piranha Plants! Both of these elements could also factor in his moveset. One of his most famous earlier artwork depict him with a Piranha Plant vase, so that could enter in his moveset easily. Not to mention all the items, minigames and the like from all the series!
  • DDR Mario Mix: another one where Waluigi is an antagonist, he could have moves based on dancing.
  • Mario Kart: Waluigi had both a stadium and a pinball table as racetracks. Elements from both of these could factor in his moveset.
  • Mario Strikers: His special attack, Wall-Luigi. Enough said
OK! What I said here can apply to many other Mario characters, such as Daisy, Birdo, Koopa etc, so why Waluigi should be chosen?
Simple!
His personality!

Many characters have their personalities translated into their moveset instead of picking specific attacks and habilities from their games, such as Wario, Wii Fit Trainer, Duck Hunt, Sheik, etc

Waluigi is loud, a cheater, and doesn't accept losing. Those could really enter into his moveset and make it unique. Especially him being a cheater, with some unique moves that could make you go like "wait. is that even allowed?". Those kind of abilities have been seen in some Mario games, such as his air swimming in Mario Power Tennis.

So idk, these are my thoughts! Other than that I'd enter into "I love Waluigi so much and I wanted to see him since Brawl" territory which isn't rly valid for the discussion

Grimahim

Smash Rookie
NNID
SonicPrower
I personally have no interest for Waluigi becoming playable, but with the demand he's had since Smash U's development cycle it'd almost be an insult not to make him playable at this point.

I've always thought that IF he were to be playable, he'd be a good representative for the sport and party games. He was created to be a tennis partner for Wario, and he's only appeared in spin-off games (to my knowledge). None of the Mario characters in Smash make good use of spin-off elements, so if Waluigi were to be included he could bundle all of those things together to create a moveset.

A tennis racket, a baseball bat, some funky dance moves, Mario Kart items that aren't already items in Smash, possibly even that rose he has in his mouth during the recent Mario Tennis Aces trailer. Maybe it could explode or something when he throws it.

I'm not sure he really has any abilities that are unique to just him, since everything I just mentioned are things other Mario characters could do as well. But considering he's basically THE spin-off character for the Mario series, I don't think there's anyone better to give these elements to. As much as that hurts me to say, since I much prefer Daisy and she's in the same boat as him.

Waluigi's not a very original or creative character, but he could definitely have an original and creative moveset when there are so many spin-off games to take inspiration from.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Honestly, I'm kind of conflicted on how to feel about Waluigi. Some people insist that he's an incredibly viable and likely candidate for the obligatory Mario slot, yet just as many, if not more people frequently dismiss him as just a meme character who will forever remain the posterboy of Assist Trophy Land. I, personally, don't really care much for his inclusion, although I will say that if he gets a Mario slot and Geno doesn't, I'm gonna be a little upset.

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
Waluigi is probably the most prominent Mario character that's never been in a "proper" Mario game. And he's been around for damn near 20 years. That's what I've got.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
As a Waluigi supporter, I always felt Waluigi was something you either liked or you don't. Seeing that he only appears in spinoff titles, he doesn't have a significant impact on the series, and his moveset potential may seem a little boring based on what he actually does (there's already a bunch of sports-based attacks in Smash, and not everyone finds pulling out a tennis racket all that appealing). If you don't care about the popularity of a character, there's no real strong reason to think he should be in.

But he is popular, and it's not just because he's a meme.

Waluigi is always described as mischievous, and comes off as cocky in the games. He ****-talks Bowser in Mario Party 3's story, and then beats him up, he does the crotch-chop celebration, and goads the crowd on in Strikers, he's more than just the Wah. All this coming from a guy that inexplicably hangs out with some of the most heralded video game characters of all time. He doesn't care about adventuring, saving princesses, finding treasures, beating bad guys Waluigi is a dude that just loves to have fun, something a lot of people can relate too.

So what can he do?

In Mario Power Tennis he has some specials that can make for intriguing attacks. One special he can freeze time, and swim to the tennis ball, the other he strikes a pose in that upside down L form, and spins creating a small tornado to return the ball. Outside of that he still has his basic tennis swings if you're into that.

In Strikers, he does what any other team captain can do, Super Kicks. He has his own little poses while doing them though, maybe they can be translated to aerials? Regular kicks, slide tackles, shoulder tackles, are all prevalent in the games and can be implemented in his moveset too.

In Double Dash, he and Wario have the (at the time) unique ability to use Bob-ombs on the course. Maybe it's time to replace that item?

While the rest of his abilities are mainly tied to the core mechanics of each game, the rest of his moveset can be heavily inspired by his personality. He apparently likes to cheat, so how can we make a character that "cheats"? What if he rolls dice that explode into a purple mist? Or if you give him enough time he can pull out a device that he can use to manually up the opponent's percentage, without actually touching them? With a unique concept like that, the sky is the limit for a character like Waluigi.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Digging the Waluigi love guys. Hopefully he gets a shot!

Next up, Wonder Red. His game may not have done super well, but he seems like he could be a unique fighter. Sell away!

Last edited:
I'm not the best at describing stuff like this (in fact i'm quite awful at it) But I think there is a chance I migh be the only one who would even give this a shot. So why not.

Gonna post my moveset, but images are currently broken and it isn't tahat good anyway
Entrance.

Neutral special -Unite Gun: Can be charged, but the charge cannot be held (greninja neutral B). has 3 charge levels

basic--> rapid fire--> super scope
basic: a regular shot
rapid fire: fires 3 shots like in unite stinger.
Super scope: fires a high damage explosive shot

Custom neutral 1: no charging but higher damage and reduced endlag
custom neutral 2: much faster charge but lower damage. super scope does not explode

side specials are all different unites/unifies
red throws a unite morph forward at a low range. will fall if there is no platform below it (to prevent edgeguarding)

the first 2 work like ROB's gyro and remain in place after being thrown. hit multiple times instead of once

Side special 1-claws. freezes at higher %
Side special 2- naginata cant freeze but reflects projectiles and does high damage at the tips
3 however does not stay in place
Side special 3 -Voomerang. Vorkens boomerang. moves forward normally but then comes back.

Down special- Unite Spring: spring in a direction dealing damage and becoming immune. second use becomes Unite Ball works similar to wario's bike but very little damage or knockback but you also take very little damage or knockback.

Custom down 1 leaves lingering hitbox after the special ends. No ball and larger endlag

Custom down 2 spring is slower and does more damage. ball becomes spiked and increases damage but does not give resistanec buffs.

Up special: Unite Glider- look at the graph of Cos(x) on the interval [2.5,2*pi] deals damage and rises after a short fall

has generic recovery customs. highre damage less height and the opposite

Jab writes itself.

ftilt- a 2 punch combo
up tilt: a double claw swipe

Down tilt- claw swipe with both claws. Starts with claws together than swipes outward.
Up air -spins gun cowboy style then fires a shot. (During spin the gun has a hitbox) shot is a projectile

Down air- uses the hammer and slams down. the hammer itself does the highest damage and breaks shield but red does have a hitbox as well.

Fair- quick aerial punch combo. Gives horizontal movement

Nair - wonderful rising sword. holds sword out while doing flips. multi-hit

Bair- slashes with the sword behind him horizontally. very small vertical hitbox but decent damage

Dash attack- wonderful stinger for hand

Down smash-wondeful cyclone for hand

F smash- a brutal punch. Think mii brawlers forward smash.

Up smash- unite rocket. More charge is more height

grab is unite whip. has a tether

grab pummel

Down throw- uses unite drill on an opponent lying down. breaks shield of other enemies (like ryu's up throw)

alternatively uses whip and slaps them while they are down

Up throw wonder rising

forward throw- thrust with the hammer into a baseball style swing

back throw- pushes them behind him before smashing him with hammer

Final smash- engage unlimited form! All morphs become larger increasing the hitbox and damage. Up air becomes the super scope for all shots and fires an explosive shot. While dashing, rainbows follow

Wonder Red's basic shtick is creating things out of other heroes. While other fighters use their firsts or swords made of steel, Wonder Red one ************ with another ************.

With this power, Red can basically make anything he can put his mind to. Tombstones, rocketships, bridges, you name it. If you can think of it, he can use it. Primarily, however he does have a few weapons based on the various main heroes's signature weapons.
A giant fist, sword, gun, whip, claws, a hammer, and a "time bomb." And that time bomb slows down time. So that's neat.

There are a few other weapons he can use but those are spoilers so i'll keep them out.

So TL:DR I suppose. A superhero who would probably have all of the eccentricities of one that is able to construct multiple weapons out of thin air to fight with a varied (and sometimes wacky) arsenal
:061:

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
I'm not the best at describing stuff like this (in fact i'm quite awful at it) But I think there is a chance I migh be the only one who would even give this a shot. So why not.

Gonna post my moveset, but images are currently broken and it isn't tahat good anyway
Entrance.

Neutral special -Unite Gun: Can be charged, but the charge cannot be held (greninja neutral B). has 3 charge levels

basic--> rapid fire--> super scope
basic: a regular shot
rapid fire: fires 3 shots like in unite stinger.
Super scope: fires a high damage explosive shot

Custom neutral 1: no charging but higher damage and reduced endlag
custom neutral 2: much faster charge but lower damage. super scope does not explode

side specials are all different unites/unifies
red throws a unite morph forward at a low range. will fall if there is no platform below it (to prevent edgeguarding)

the first 2 work like ROB's gyro and remain in place after being thrown. hit multiple times instead of once

Side special 1-claws. freezes at higher %
Side special 2- naginata cant freeze but reflects projectiles and does high damage at the tips
3 however does not stay in place
Side special 3 -Voomerang. Vorkens boomerang. moves forward normally but then comes back.

Down special- Unite Spring: spring in a direction dealing damage and becoming immune. second use becomes Unite Ball works similar to wario's bike but very little damage or knockback but you also take very little damage or knockback.

Custom down 1 leaves lingering hitbox after the special ends. No ball and larger endlag

Custom down 2 spring is slower and does more damage. ball becomes spiked and increases damage but does not give resistanec buffs.

Up special: Unite Glider- look at the graph of Cos(x) on the interval [2.5,2*pi] deals damage and rises after a short fall

has generic recovery customs. highre damage less height and the opposite

Jab writes itself.

ftilt- a 2 punch combo
up tilt: a double claw swipe

Down tilt- claw swipe with both claws. Starts with claws together than swipes outward.
Up air -spins gun cowboy style then fires a shot. (During spin the gun has a hitbox) shot is a projectile

Down air- uses the hammer and slams down. the hammer itself does the highest damage and breaks shield but red does have a hitbox as well.

Fair- quick aerial punch combo. Gives horizontal movement

Nair - wonderful rising sword. holds sword out while doing flips. multi-hit

Bair- slashes with the sword behind him horizontally. very small vertical hitbox but decent damage

Dash attack- wonderful stinger for hand

Down smash-wondeful cyclone for hand

F smash- a brutal punch. Think mii brawlers forward smash.

Up smash- unite rocket. More charge is more height

grab is unite whip. has a tether

grab pummel

Down throw- uses unite drill on an opponent lying down. breaks shield of other enemies (like ryu's up throw)

alternatively uses whip and slaps them while they are down

Up throw wonder rising

forward throw- thrust with the hammer into a baseball style swing

back throw- pushes them behind him before smashing him with hammer

Final smash- engage unlimited form! All morphs become larger increasing the hitbox and damage. Up air becomes the super scope for all shots and fires an explosive shot. While dashing, rainbows follow

Wonder Red's basic shtick is creating things out of other heroes. While other fighters use their firsts or swords made of steel, Wonder Red one ************ with another ************.

With this power, Red can basically make anything he can put his mind to. Tombstones, rocketships, bridges, you name it. If you can think of it, he can use it. Primarily, however he does have a few weapons based on the various main heroes's signature weapons.
A giant fist, sword, gun, whip, claws, a hammer, and a "time bomb." And that time bomb slows down time. So that's neat.

There are a few other weapons he can use but those are spoilers so i'll keep them out.

So TL:DR I suppose. A superhero who would probably have all of the eccentricities of one that is able to construct multiple weapons out of thin air to fight with a varied (and sometimes wacky) arsenal
I imagine him working a bit like Olimar, with squads of Heroes that he needs to manage to create stronger/more ranged attacks, but he's a human sized character isn't he? So it'd be a bit much to have a whole bunch of human-sized characters running around.

Are you picturing almost a Corrin type moveset then? Where he can shift parts of his body for each attack sort of idea?

I imagine him working a bit like Olimar, with squads of Heroes that he needs to manage to create stronger/more ranged attacks, but he's a human sized character isn't he? So it'd be a bit much to have a whole bunch of human-sized characters running around.

Are you picturing almost a Corrin type moveset then? Where he can shift parts of his body for each attack sort of idea?
I personally think Red wouldn't actually be using the heroes. The weapons would form but since they wold be gigantic normally, they would be pretty small instead although still comically large. It would be way too much work to have other Wonderful Ones running around with him and forming weapons. Not only would it look weird (since the heroes are supposed to be visible in the weapon) but it's just too many models running around.

The parts of the body don't shift, he actually gets the weapons. They don't transform into weapons but the heroes take shape and a light-structure forms around that to become the weapon. This would be way easier to show if images weren't broken :p

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
I personally think Red wouldn't actually be using the heroes. The weapons would form but since they wold be gigantic normally, they would be pretty small instead although still comically large. It would be way too much work to have other Wonderful Ones running around with him and forming weapons. Not only would it look weird (since the heroes are supposed to be visible in the weapon) but it's just too many models running around.

The parts of the body don't shift, he actually gets the weapons. They don't transform into weapons but the heroes take shape and a light-structure forms around that to become the weapon. This would be way easier to show if images weren't broken :p
Fair enough :p

Kind of like a Green Lantern-type character then

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
Another one in my wishlist!

Hmm, let's see. First of all, it's not about much the character per se, but the game: Smash has this power of giving new life and chances for more obscure franchises. That was the case with Earthbound in SSB64, Fire Emblem in Melee, Kid Icarus in Brawl, and to a lesser extent, Xenoblade in SSB4. The Wonderful 101 could really get this push from Smash, since it's a really good game with an amazing cast!

Oh well, let's go to Will Wedgehood himself:
  • Moveset potential: Wonder Red is known for his Unite Hand ability, where other Wonderful 100 members morph together into a huge red fist to attack. That alone could give him lots of moveset options, with the different combos seen in TW101. He also has a lot of other ones, such as Unite Glider for recovery, Unite Guts for defense/countering/reflecting. And lastly, there are many other Unite Morphs exclusive to other characters, but I think they could be incorporated in Red's moveset! Kind of like Ness, Lucas and Robin have a few moves they originally don't use in their games.
  • Alternate costume potential: In SSB4, people liked that the Koopalings and Alph were playable characters by being costumes for Bowser Jr. and Olimar repsectively. If they follow the idea of putting more Unite Morph abilities in the moveset, that opens the possibility of Wonder Blue, Green, Pink, Yellow, White and Black all being costumes in the same fashion! So basically, you would get at least 7 new characters to play as, technically! There are even more possibilities but we'd enter in spoiler territory
  • Stages, Music: With a new character, comes new stages, music, trophies... SSB4 gave a little taste with two music pieces from TW101, and they were already awesome! Imagine then, more of those, including remixes, in a heated battle in Blossom City, with giant robots as stage hazards???
I think that's it I can say for now!

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
My problem with Wonder Red, and I think the problem with the game's sales is: I know nothing about it. I've seen trailers, I've looked at the back of the box. But I know nothing. What sort of game is it? How does it play? The advertising for the game was terrible, because it conveyed almost nothing about the game. It was flashy and showed stylish characters, but the gameplay remains a complete mystery. Is it a tactics game like Pikmin? An action game? I don't know.

Those who have played it seem to have enjoyed it, and I think it could have a successful second run on Switch, IF they can just manage to communicate what the game is to fans.

Top Bottom