• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Controllers?

Kyler

Smash Cadet
Im fairly new to the competitive smash scene, been playing seriously since December but ive played since melee came out.
for Christmas I got a new black controller with the smash ball on it for smash 4
and I also have an old orange one that ive used for a long time.
Is the black smash ball controller ok for melee? Ive never seen any top level players use it either the white one or the old purple,silver,orange,black ones. if its not good for melee how come and would it be worth investing for one of the white controllers?
thanks

Last edited:

meebius

Smash Apprentice
The official Sm4sh controllers with the smash balls on them are fine when you're starting out. However, many people have issues with the triggers in particular. They seem to get stuck when they're pressed at an angle, this seems to be a problem made by the new trigger case. From personal experience, the Sm4sh controllers control stick seem to be stiffer than the OEM controllers.

The case is the same with the official japanese white controllers.

These problems do not occur with the OEM controllers. Unfortunately, I invested my money into the official japanese white controller and had to experience these issues. I just bought a OEM controller and swapped the shells with my white controller. This solved the issues I had with the triggers getting stuck when pressed at an angle.

(OEM meaning original equipment manufacturer e.g. old gamecube controllers)

Kyler

Smash Cadet
The official Sm4sh controllers with the smash balls on them are fine when you're starting out. However, many people have issues with the triggers in particular. They seem to get stuck when they're pressed at an angle, this seems to be a problem made by the new trigger case. From personal experience, the Sm4sh controllers control stick seem to be stiffer than the OEM controllers.

The case is the same with the official japanese white controllers.

These problems do not occur with the OEM controllers. Unfortunately, I invested my money into the official japanese white controller and had to experience these issues. I just bought a OEM controller and swapped the shells with my white controller. This solved the issues I had with the triggers getting stuck when pressed at an angle.

(OEM meaning original equipment manufacturer e.g. old gamecube controllers)
oh man I thought that the angle trigger was just my controller well i guess thats good, the only reason I was considering using the black smash 4 controller is cause the different plastic gets a better grip on my hands, would I be able to but my black case on my orange controller? and thanks for the answer btw

meebius

Smash Apprentice
Yes, you will be able to put the black shell with your orange controller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JHvmSiK-LI

Here's a tutorial on how to mix shells. All you need to is a tri-wing screwdriver which can be bought for like 3 bucks. (you need a smaller Philips screwdriver if you want to mess around with triggers).
When I mixed the shells of the controllers. I kept the grip of my Japanese white controller but had the triggers of the old controller. (Mine is indigo on bottom and white on top).
It's as simple as unscrewing the screws and putting them together. However, there are slightly off because one is slightly smaller than the other, but it is barely noticeable.

The results of mine look kinda like this http://i.imgur.com/Na9o6sn.jpg

Of course, there is always room for customization, so you can adjust your controller so that it fits your preferences.

AirFair

Marth tho
Hey, this is very interesting, and I was wondering, what kind of deal did you get on your OEM controller? I see some on amazon for around $90 and had to ask. Thanks for this btw.

Α∨ery

Smash Rookie
There is a metal bar inside of the older gamecube controller triggers that aren't in the new ones. All you have to do is take them out of an old controller and put them in the new smash one. That's what I did and now the triggers work fine :)

Kyler

Smash Cadet
Hey, this is very interesting, and I was wondering, what kind of deal did you get on your OEM controller? I see some on amazon for around $90 and had to ask. Thanks for this btw.
sorry but by OEM controller you mean just like the original ones right?

Cool

Smash Journeyman
Mehhh OEM is too expensive I still have my original ones but they're kinda funky now from all of the use

kingPiano

Smash Ace
I got my OEM for like 20 bucks, but it was used
Yes it's quite astounding how much "retro game stores" are now trying to gouge players for nowadays.

At the mall there is a store that hosts weeklies and they try and gut people for $25 for each used OEM GC controller and most have bad sticks

down the street from me though there is a cool mom and pop game store that only charges $13-15 for them, got one there recently that was two toned shell swapped and had a great analog on it.

On eBay you never know how crappy the controllers are going to be used :/

Thumbtack28

Smash Rookie
I have one of the sm4sh controllers and I haven't had any problems... Works like a charm, I play melee as well and I've never had a problem with L but I don't use R at all so I might just be lucky

Top Bottom