• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Controllers!

Arya Greyjoy

Smash Rookie
Quick Question: What kind of controller would be best to get used to, particularly with SmashU's variety?

I've casually used every sort of control in the past, but I'm wondering whether it would be best to get real familiar with the Gamecube style since it'll be usable even in Generation IV. I'm incredibly new to the idea of competitive play but working towards bringing my game up to tournament level with Gen IV on the horizon (Probably not the only person in this boat.) The best I've gotten is with a straight Wiimote but I'm realizing that the Gamecube is probably more popular for it's comfort and convenient layout. However, I still feel like the Wiimote could be worth getting better with.
+ Is that "Wii U Pro Controller the next big thing?

What's the general idea? Should I go with the flow and master the Gamecube control style like everyone else?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
(Also sorry if I sort of use terminology that nobody else does)

Last edited:

KRBAY

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SSBBSonic
3DS FC
0774-4477-0228
I'm personally going with Classic Controller for now.

I would suggest to adapt to Wii U Pro Controller and/or GameCube.

Last edited:

Jonarobin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PowerMiner
I used to use the wiimote sideways, but I started using the gamecube controller seriously, and it just seemed so comfortable that I plan to stick with it all the way to the WiiU version.

Just do what you're most comfortable with and try stuff out!

yahooda

Smash Ace
NNID
yahooda
3DS FC
0302-0469-6394
In my opinion, choosing between the GC or Pro controller, it all depends on where you prefer the second stick to be. The Pro Controller might be pretty good for short hop arials because the stick is right over the jump buttons, or you can just do like I plan to and set Z to jump on the GC controller so your thumb can stay on the C-stick when jumping

Pheno

Smash Rookie
NNID
GrieferPheno
3DS FC
2277-7164-2088
Like straight Wii Remote w/o Nunchuck? Is that a good choice?
Im not sure if this is every a good choice. You mean just the wii remote sideways...? God no
If you're going to get into competitive play, buy a classic controller pro (The attachment to the wii remote). I used that for a while and quickly started preferring it to the gamecube controller (Until it got stolen :l). I'm personally switching to Pro controller for Wii U only because people honestly need to let go of the GC controller. (Seriously? Modifying it for a 3DS? Let it go)

Summary:
If you have the Wii U pro controller, use that, if you're low on cash, get the Classic Controller Pro.
Gamecube (If you're a total m2k) will probably be more frame accurate but honestly don't waste your life on a game trying to be the best. It's a hobby, not a career.

Just do what you're most comfortable with and try stuff out!

Last edited:

Dr. Giygas

Smash Rookie
I'll probably at least try Wii U pro controller-
I'm definitely getting the GC adapter though. The notches may end up being more helpful than a circle gate.

Logsmash

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LogMash
Im not sure if this is every a good choice. You mean just the wii remote sideways...? God no
If you're going to get into competitive play, buy a classic controller pro (The attachment to the wii remote). I used that for a while and quickly started preferring it to the gamecube controller (Until it got stolen :l). I'm personally switching to Pro controller for Wii U only because people honestly need to let go of the GC controller. (Seriously? Modifying it for a 3DS? Let it go)

Summary:
If you have the Wii U pro controller, use that, if you're low on cash, get the Classic Controller Pro.
Gamecube (If you're a total m2k) will probably be more frame accurate but honestly don't waste your life on a game trying to be the best. It's a hobby, not a career.
And people say Nintendo isn't catering to the core audience..... then again it was a smart business decision to bring back the GC controller with a Smash logo slapped on it. "Hardcore" fans will almost certainly buy them, as will any casual/non-supercompetitive people that hear about how "this is the controller used by the best". Jump ahead in time to where people are wanting to buy other games for their Wii U, and there's the Pro Controller ready for selling.

Well played, Nintendo. Well played indeed. (but too bad for them because I have 4 functional GC controllers!....but I still have to buy the adapter)

Last edited:
Top Bottom