• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Controller setup

Luk

Smash Journeyman
Hey, curious how other Sonics have their controllers setup. I have Y set to side-taunt for taunt canceling since I always jump with X. I always shield/air-dodge/wave-dash with R so I've gone back and forth on what to use L for.

Sometimes it feels like having it be jump would help me use the c-stick for attacking in mid-air, having not to worry about getting my thumb back to X for that DJ. But then I saw that thread by Voltron about dashing out of sprint and thought "Maybe I should go back to having L be attack. It was useful every long once in a while for moonwalking as well...".

Also, I've always turned off tap-jump and thought it was common practice but then at a local weekly I noticed that it seems very uncommon to turn it off.

So, was considering making this a poll like "What do you map your secondary shield to?" but thought I'd make it more general.

1) How do you have your Sonic controller set up and why?
2) What's the deal with tap-jump?

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
I have X mapped to Footstool/Taunt and R mapped to Attack for DACUS, Dash Canceling and Lengthened moonwalks. I don't have Tap Jump off considering I use it for almost all my jumps; only time I ever touch the Y button is when I'm jumping out of a moonwalk or short hop out of a run for maximum distance.

Luk

Smash Journeyman
Interesting. I always turn tap jump off cuz it's way too easy for me to accidentally blow my double jump when going for an up air. Guess I should really work on using the c-stick exclusively for aerials.

Krumpberry

Banned via Warnings
I just use the default controls mostly. I got sidetaunt for Y as well since I just jump with X. I leave tap jump on since I don't have a problem with doing utlits. I use R for pretty much everything except for wavedashing, which I save for L.

Top Bottom