• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Controller question.

°Shy°

Smash Rookie
I have one of the new black controllers with the melee logo on it. I recently went to my parents house and found one of my gamecube controllers from when I was a kid, I really like it, its very broken in, specifically the L/R buttons. I was wondering if the springs are the same in the original GC controllers compared to the new one, or more specifically if the old one will still fit inside of the new one. Im worried about cutting the springs on the new one because I dont wanna cut it too far, but could I just take the springs out of the old one and swap it with the ones in the new one? Otherwise is there a way to quickly wear down the spring strength of the newer controller?

Pics if anyone wanted to see my dog eaten controller
http://imgur.com/a/4Z76K

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
I have one of the new black controllers with the melee logo on it. I recently went to my parents house and found one of my gamecube controllers from when I was a kid, I really like it, its very broken in, specifically the L/R buttons. I was wondering if the springs are the same in the original GC controllers compared to the new one, or more specifically if the old one will still fit inside of the new one. Im worried about cutting the springs on the new one because I dont wanna cut it too far, but could I just take the springs out of the old one and swap it with the ones in the new one? Otherwise is there a way to quickly wear down the spring strength of the newer controller?

Pics if anyone wanted to see my dog eaten controller
http://imgur.com/a/4Z76K
Yeah you can replace the springs. You need a tri wing screwdriver to open the controllers up, then you can either just swap the backs or you can unscrew the shoulder buttons and swap them.

iAmMatt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mattgw420
Springs are replaceable, but I would recommend removing them entirely especially if you plan on playing melee competitively. The removal of springs helps with perfect shields, consistent wavedashes and l cancels, and eliminates accidental power shields.

°Shy°

Smash Rookie
Springs are replaceable, but I would recommend removing them entirely especially if you plan on playing melee competitively. The removal of springs helps with perfect shields, consistent wavedashes and l cancels, and eliminates accidental power shields.
how many people actually remove their springs, im kinda used to these really worn ones and dont really have a problem l cancelling or wavedashing that often, i think when i mess up its more me than the controller..

anyway heres an update, i just replaced both the chewed sticks and I think it looks pretty nice.

one thing i did notice when testing is the R trigger cant even light shield, im pretty sure its just messed up from being really old and ****ed up, not that its a problem since i only really use R to wavedash/land

I do consider removing the springs, Im just not sure if I want to if its just a shortcut to getting more consistent rather than just cutting the springs down a bit....I know about finger strain problems and stuff....just unsure

anyway here it is now with new sticks

http://imgur.com/a/D5JZ0

used a black wii nunchuk stick and took the c-stick from some POS 3rd party controller i had laying around

Last edited:

iAmMatt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mattgw420
how many people actually remove their springs, im kinda used to these really worn ones and dont really have a problem l cancelling or wavedashing that often, i think when i mess up its more me than the controller..

anyway heres an update, i just replaced both the chewed sticks and I think it looks pretty nice.

one thing i did notice when testing is the R trigger cant even light shield, im pretty sure its just messed up from being really old and ****ed up, not that its a problem since i only really use R to wavedash/land

I do consider removing the springs, Im just not sure if I want to if its just a shortcut to getting more consistent rather than just cutting the springs down a bit....I know about finger strain problems and stuff....just unsure

anyway here it is now with new sticks

http://imgur.com/a/D5JZ0

used a black wii nunchuk stick and took the c-stick from some POS 3rd party controller i had laying around
Ok that controller actually looks sick now, I like the black stick. Removing the springs is definitely worth trying, because you can always put them back as long as you don't lose them. I encourage you to try it, especially if you're comfortable taking the controller apart

°Shy°

Smash Rookie
Ok that controller actually looks sick now, I like the black stick. Removing the springs is definitely worth trying, because you can always put them back as long as you don't lose them. I encourage you to try it, especially if you're comfortable taking the controller apart
I feel like it might just act as a crutch if I remove the springs...it might be a bit harder but honestly im having more problems consistently short hopping with sheik lately than not pressing triggers hard enough,,,,I'm about to go to one of my first locals and I messaged the TO...he hadnt even heard of removing springs and said the controller would be unusable...even though I'm pretty pretty sure hes wrong I thought it would be more common and that maybe I could try one out.

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
If you remove your spring you can't hold your controller upright because with no spring the trigger will depress all on its own. I tried it once and noticed that so I put the spring back in immediately cause it was really weird

°Shy°

Smash Rookie
Something I noticed when using the new purple controller, its perfect except for one thing.

Sometimes it doesnt dash to the right, it just starts walking,,,,going to the left this is never a problem, and pulling up the thing on 20xx that shows the controller inputs it doesnt look like the stick is unresponsive in any way. Any idea what causes this? when I press the stick to the left or the right its very responsive on the 20xx input showing thing....if goes all the way to the right and the left, sometimes when im practicing wavelanding on the battlefield platforms ill just start on a side platform jump and waveland on the top and drop and waveland on the lower and repeat, but sometimes turning around going from left to right sheik just starts walking instead of dashing even though the stick input is all the way to the right, i dont have this problem with the new black smash logo controller I have

iAmMatt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mattgw420
I feel like it might just act as a crutch if I remove the springs...it might be a bit harder but honestly im having more problems consistently short hopping with sheik lately than not pressing triggers hard enough,,,,I'm about to go to one of my first locals and I messaged the TO...he hadnt even heard of removing springs and said the controller would be unusable...even though I'm pretty pretty sure hes wrong I thought it would be more common and that maybe I could try one out.
Practice short hopping with marth first, since his jumpsquat is one frame more than sheik's. Also I would ask around at the local but if no one's removed their springs, I would keep them in for the sake of being able to compete.

Top Bottom