• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Controller problem? Or new mechanic?

tehmpest

Smash Rookie
The Saturday before Brawl's release, my controller was working perfectly. With Brawl, I'm noticing the C-Stick randomly won't work. I don't know if anything happened to my controller between that time, or if there's some kind of system in the game that stops your from spamming it.

Anyone else have this problem?

6footninja

Smash Ace
I dont have that problem, actually. It may just be coincidence that something messed up with your controller between teh time, or that maybe its been that way for awhile and you just haven't noticed.

Yuichi

Smash Cadet
I sometimes have a problem where I roll twice instead of just once.

ZuluAssassin

Smash Rookie
The exact same thing happened to both my friend's GC controllers. Literally two days before they were fine, and now the C-stick in Brawl seemingly works only at random times. Maybe it has to do with how new/old the GC controller is?

R0cket

Smash Apprentice
C-Stick can't be used again before it returns to its "resting" position. So, if you circle it around, there won't be any smashes coming after the first one.

COLDshiver

Smash Cadet
Thanks for clarifying R0cket. I too had the same 'problem'. A lot of times I would not smash even though I was hammering the c-stick. It was perfectly fine with Melee, guess the new controller input mechanic or whatever is different.

phantomphungus

Smash Journeyman
I sometimes have a problem where I roll twice instead of just once.
I've noticed things like this, and other things have happened, too. It is now much harder for me to do things like F-tilts without accidentaly using the F-smash, which is especially bad with snake, as his F-smash is extremely laggy. I also do rolls twice, like you, and I even do smashes if I try to do a dash attack, or a f-tilt in the direction I'm already walking.
My hypothesis is that this is part of the, dare I say it, "n00bification" of the game: a more sensitive control stick and more sensitive control-stick/button combos.

Popuri

Smash Apprentice
My hypothesis is that this is part of the, dare I say it, "n00bification" of the game: a more sensitive control stick and more sensitive control-stick/button combos.

You are probably right, they increased the oportunity windows for many things.

A lot of people playing Melee for the first time find it hard to time smashes so it makes the game less 'pick up and play'.

blayde_axel

Smash Master
Well, think of the C-stick as a "C-Button" now. With the addition of the Wiimote and other control setups, they have to removed the analog feel of the C-Stick and other things, like the shoulder buttons. Notice you can't light-shield anymore.

matthewmilad

Smash Journeyman
The Saturday before Brawl's release, my controller was working perfectly. With Brawl, I'm noticing the C-Stick randomly won't work. I don't know if anything happened to my controller between that time, or if there's some kind of system in the game that stops your from spamming it.

Anyone else have this problem?

I'm not going to read everyone's posts, so I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but essentially the c-stick has been nerfed.
Before in Melee it was lenient with the direction you did it in, meaning it could be slightly tilted a bit off from the exact direction you wanted to smash in.
But in Brawl when you use the C-stick, you have to do it EXACTLY up, down, left, or right.
You can't be off when you hit it in the direction you want it in. There is not much leniency on this.

Dial-Up

Smash Journeyman
I too have the C-Stick problem, and since I now know the answer, I will train myself not to not let it back into resting position. Man, that would piss me off. I'd be like "WTF IS WRONG?!". Lmao. So yea, and I only do the double roll when I'm online, bacause I press it twice, wanting to to do it already, but the input lag F's me up... Oh, and not being able to light shield is completely ridiculous. I am so friggin' appalled that they would take that out. There was absolutely no reason to do that. =(.

Top Bottom