• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Controller options for Project64

cuddlefish

Smash Rookie
I am having a hard time finding which usb controller works best for SSB64 on pc. I understand that you can use old N64 controllers along with an adapter like mayflash but I would really rather have something that I can go buy at a reasonable price than buying second hand controllers that may or may not work.

Are there any controllers that will function properly with this game other than the original N64 controllers? I don't care about the shape of the controller at all and the layout isnt to big of a deal to me. Will the joystick on generic controllers work properly for all angles or will it only do up, down, right and left. Are there sensitivity issues with using generic usb controllers? Do the retrolink controllers function properly or would a generic like the on in the link below work better??

So I cant post a link but I was thinking about the saberent 12 button controller found on amazon or walmart.

I would like to get 4 controllers to play with friends... that is possible on project 64 right? Cheaper is better but I dont want something that wont function right.

What specific models are you folks using? What works well? What doesn't?

Skrlx

Smash Champion
Cheap, generic controllers aren't good.

You might as well buy bad genuine N64 controllers on CL instead. You can buy an adapter for that that has 4 ports.

Your friends don't have PS2/PS3 or Xbox 360 controllers lying around?

Sensei

Smash Lord
I've used Xbox 360 and PS2 controllers for SMASH. While I prefer the original N64 controller, these are pretty good substitute once you get adapt to them.

Sangoku

Smash Master
I have used radom logitech ones and they were good enough. Of course xbox 360 works too but is a bit more expensive. N64 is the best choice and I don't think they are that expensive either.

cuddlefish

Smash Rookie
I played it for the first time today with a ps3 controller. I didn't really know what I was doing and I am sure I set it up silly. After a few rounds of button mashing (I haven't played this game in like 14 years) I gave up. I only have the one working PS3 controller so I might as well try some real controllers.

I have a few questions about going the original controller route.

1. Where is the best place to buy? Ebay? Looks like $25 or more for a controller with a loose to okish stick. I didn't find much on craigslist.

2. I have seen you can replace the stick. Is there a certain replacement stick that is better than the others? Are there are parts of the controllers that can be refurbished as well? If there is a guide to this on the web could you direct me to it?

3. Which controller adapter should I buy? Someone mentioned that there was one that would connect 4 controllers to one usb. Which one is that? I have heard of mayflash but I have only seen pictures of it with two ports. I don't know much about these.

I also noticed that in the emulator some of the things didn't appear right. The pokemon were invisible and some of the items were really small. Is this normal? Is it correctable? Is there an emulator that will play this game better than project 64?

Thanks a bunch for helping me get caught up guys it has been years since I have played this but I remember it being soooooooo much fun.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
What specific models are you folks using? What works well? What doesn't?
I mostly play SSB64 on my Wii using the fantastic GameCube controller. However, when I play on my PC (can't run full screen because my graphics card sucks :ohwell:) I use the Xbox 360 controller and find that to be a good solution.

Top Bottom