• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Controller of Choice and What Affects that Decision

What controller do you use in Sm4sh?

• Wii U Gamepad

• Wii U Pro

• Wiimote

• Wiimote + Nunchuck

• Original GameCube

• New GameCube (Wii U Fight Pad

• 3DS

• Wii Classic Controller

• N64 Controller

• Other (third party variations)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Creckut

Smash Rookie
NNID
Crekcut
Hey everyone! I'm a long time Smash player, newbie forum user. I started my Smash journey in Melee and then fell out of the game somewhere between the release of Brawl and Project M. I was a decently good player and had won a few local tournaments. I got back into it about a year and a half after Sm4sh's release when I got it for the 3DS. I then fell back in love with the series and quickly got it for the Wii U as well. Now, having started in melee, most of my controller knowledge is driven by my early days of using an original GameCube controller, but since I switched to 3DS and was forced to relearn my base controller instincts, I've found that going back to the GameCube controller is no longer viable for me. I find it far to clunky with inputs taking to long to register compared to the other options. That being said, I am still partial to the layout of the old dinosaur and can't seem to get a hang of the more updated options. That is until i found this controller used and on sale at GameStop. The main thing for me is that the physical inputs feel like they read immediately and that the analog sticks are in roughly the same spot as a GameCube controller. My only complaint is that the left analog does not have the ridges that a GameCube controller has. Going through this process of discovering what controller best fits my strange specifications had me wondering what other people weigh as important in their controller choice. If any new comers to the game are out there reading this, what are you looking for in a controller? And about the poll, yes, you can in fact use an N64 controller in Sm4sh.

MarioManTAW

Smash Ace
My thoughts on controllers:

Wiimote: Not viable. Few buttons, no C-stick, D-pad is less accurate than a stick. Only use if you literally cannot use anything else.
Wiimote + Nunchuk: Somewhat viable. Button count is still an issue, but you now have a stick and a pseudo C-stick. Notching on stick is a plus, also good for lefties.
Wii Classic: IMO the best controller (albeit not my favorite). My reasoning? Two notched sticks (rivaled only by GC), plus faster trigger buttons compared to GC, as well as more trigger buttons than GC. Why it's not my favorite: awkward placement of left stick.
3DS: Probably 2nd worst controller. Suffers from many of the same shortcomings as the Wiimote, but does have an actual stick as opposed to a D-pad, as well as some more buttons.
New 3DS: Viable. C-stick included, only one button less than the GC, fast triggers.
Wii U Pro: Viable. Probably what I would choose if I were to go to a tournament. Mostly the same as the Wii Classic, but with more familiar stick placement at the expense of round sticks.
Wii U Gamepad: What I play at home. Fine for home, not so much for tournament. Identical layout to Wii U Pro. Limited to 1 per console, also unable to be taken between consoles. Some find the size of the controller uncomfortable.
GameCube: **WARNING** My viewpoint here is somewhat controversial. This is generally the preferred controller for Smash. However, I don't think it should be. IMO, there are only two reasons to choose this controller over any of the ones listed above: a) it's what you're used to or b) you need the notched sticks and can't handle the Wii Classic's button placement. Both of these fall apart for anyone new to Smash. Thus, I believe the Wii Classic is the best controller for new players, but the GC may be for those who are familiar with it (especially former Melee players).

Creckut

Smash Rookie
NNID
Crekcut
3DS: Probably 2nd worst controller. Suffers from many of the same shortcomings as the Wiimote, but does have an actual stick as opposed to a D-pad, as well as some more buttons.
New 3DS: Viable. C-stick included, only one button less than the GC, fast triggers.
I had never attempted to use the 3DS but I had tried the New 3DS and found the lag so unbearable i went looking for proof that i was in fact noticing something and hadn't gone completely mad. Turns out I'm not entirely mad, just maybe a little too perceptive / lag sensitive. There is in fact lag, but only half a frame of it... so for me, that renders the 3ds's "not viable"

Thanks a lot for your input, I'm sure it will be especially helpful to people still choosing there ideal controller!

Last edited:
Top Bottom