• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Controller change unlocks Ryu's true potential?

Renegade TX2000

Smash Ace
What I'm saying is you think having tap jump on and C stick set to attack gets the most out of Ryu?

With tap jump on you can do up smash and Shoryu out of shield, and with C stick set to attack you can easily walk and do your dtilt and up tilt to shield pressure opponents. Also in certain situations you can shield an attack take a small step forward where up smash and shoryu would be out of range and you can go for c stick up tilt into Shoryu to punish opponents.

So do you think a new button lay out will be best for Ryu's future?

1. Tap Jump on

2. C stick set to attack.

If you want to use ryus pivots then learn how to use his A+B smash attack instead taking full advantage of smash wii u's new button layout.

What do you guys think?

iLLEST

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iLLESTm3
I have
tap jump off
L jump for oos, and some aerials
C stick attack for aerials and light tilts
X grab
AB smash off

ima try tap jump see how i like it.

Last edited:

onehundredhitz

Smash Apprentice
This is interesting, but I absolutely cannot bring myself to use tap jump. It mucks up my entire game.

Renegade TX2000

Smash Ace
This is interesting, but I absolutely cannot bring myself to use tap jump. It mucks up my entire game.

Can't teach an old dog new tricks! lol but sometimes it's necessary to jump certain hurdles. With Tap Jump on Ryu becomes a huge threat when shielding.

With Cstick set to attack you can mind game opponents when you walk up to them they will think you will grab or dash attack and that's where you use the lovely C stick cr.low or up tilt light to punish them.

The hardest adjustment is getting used to C stick set to attack.

Best way to think about it is only use the c stick attack version on the ground when you are approaching FROM the ground. Then when you land the first hit of up tilt or dtilt you can finish with using your regular A button to attack.

Last edited:

onehundredhitz

Smash Apprentice
Can't teach an old dog new tricks! lol but sometimes it's necessary to jump certain hurdles. With Tap Jump on Ryu becomes a huge threat when shielding.

With Cstick set to attack you can mind game opponents when you walk up to them they will think you will grab or dash attack and that's where you use the lovely C stick cr.low or up tilt light to punish them.

Best way to think about it is only use the c stick attack version on the ground when you are approaching FROM the ground. Then when you land the first hit of up tilt or dtilt you can finish with using your regular A button to attack.
I only own a 3DS, so no C-stick for me ;_;

But I'll try using tap to jump with him, though. It's just that I can't bring myself to use it at all, with anybody. With my style of play and control, it activates every time I don't want/need it to.

PapaJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolidSnake1443
3DS FC
3282-3281-5746

Ill give the c-stick thing a shot but i use two other characters so Tap jump isn't going to happen. Also why only with tap jump does ryu become a threat while shielding? just jumping with X or Y would work i think. Unless im missing something. I turned tap jump off day 1 of the 3ds release lol so im probably not aware of of any tap jump shenanigans.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
there's no reason to use tap jump. other than personal preference.

just press up, slide your thumb from jump (i use Y) to B (or A for upsmash), it's doable within the 5 frames of jump squat with practice

Last edited:

aryga

Smash Rookie
I just have Z set to jump so I can use my index finger to jump out of shield with up B. That would be an option for anyone who doesn't use Z regularly (I only ever use it for out of shield options, which I learned from playing ZSS).

DrRek

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rek
3DS FC
0318-9137-4424
I have (L) and (X) set to jump on Wii U and 3DS, so I can act OoS . Personally I prefer Tap jump OFF, it messes with my tilts and upairs on 3DS and I can't be bothered to learn it again.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
L is jump
R is shield
Z is attack
Y is jump
X is grab
Tap jump is off

everything else is default. I've contemplated great having C-stick set to attack but I always end up hating not having the quick smash attack option.

Last edited:

DrRek

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rek
3DS FC
0318-9137-4424
L is jump
R is shield
Z is attack
Y is jump
X is grab
Tap jump is off

everything else is default. I've contemplated great having C-stick set to attack but I always end up hating not having the quick smash attack option.
You could use the A+B for a quick smash option, but I find it a bit finicky to use, probably just user error.

Bobert

"...And His Music Was Electric"
NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
C-Stick set to attack is pretty neat but you can just set L to jump for OoS which I think is much better than Tap Jump.

Last edited:
Top Bottom