• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Controller and Shielding.

Battousai780

Smash Ace
So, I was reading a link in another thread and I thought about a couple things. First, since there is no analog shielding in Brawl, would removing your spring in the L or R buttons totally solve this problem? Anyone who has done it, I would like to hear an opinion. Also, is that tournament legal to modify the controller like that?

Tofu Beast

Smash Ace
It's most likely not going to be tournament legal. It would give an advantage to the person who uses it, and most tounament ban modded controllers completely.

Smash Ace
No one, barring perhaps members of the Back Room, has any idea if it is going to be tournament legal.

Up until now, all (non-aesthetic) controller mods have been grounds for disqualification, but that might indeed change because removing the springs has been discussed a lot, and it's not like it requires much technical skill or money.

That being said, if you need an alternative you might consider setting Z to shield (and maybe either x or y to grab). I haven't tried it, but I might if the lack of analogue shielding annoys me too much.

err

Smash Journeyman
LOOK people are being too ****ing stupid with this.

Every individual who has taken time to even setup a ****ing account on this website has proven that he takes videogames very seriously and (dare i say) is PASSOINATE about this videogame.
[w00t gayz.]

well if you're ****ing passionate about your game, why are you letting something so simple as a piece plastic hold you back from reaching your full potential? or, in the case of the GCN-trigger-mod, a spring?

just:
0. buy a size 0 phillips head screwdriver (usually come in kits with other small drivers) (phillips = (+))
1. order a triwing (or go to a tournament and request someone brings theirs)
2. take those springs out.

really.. we're slowing down the progression of the metagame by keeping people from doing this. open your eyes people. We can all start modding one another's controllers at tournaments, which wont leave too many people in the cold.

(this mod has the benefit of improving both performance AND comfort during play)
(the only way you can shield as well as a modded controller is by keeping your triggers squeezed 80% down for the ENTIRE match. enjoy bi.tches)

edit: just to cover my ass:

say everyone ends up setting Z to grab. think how long that takes for EVERYONE to set their controller settings during tournaments. (ByTheWay, every tourney host needs to make sure there are two profiles per Wii that have TapJump turned off)

.. trigger mod is faster.

in melee, some people filed the hexagon and made it possible to dash-dance without making all the clacking sounds... that was nice.. and allowed for better DI (though that may be debatable)

oh and before we start fearing a slippery slope, has anyone even tried to make a mod that does anything of significance? every tourney bans shorthop mods and wavedash mods.. well.. does anyone have the electronics experience to acutally create a mod that would bind a wavedash to one button press?

NO? you know why? i can think of 2 reasons:
1. (fox jump = 4 frames) (link jump = 7 frames)... no consistency
2. (anyone who can create a macro that upon pressing x, activates dodge just 5/60 of a second later is probably making money doing something worthwhile with his life)

edit 2:: to avoid litigation: (you can replace "her"for every instance of "his"; likewise "she" where "he" is found

SFJake

Smash Apprentice
(the only way you can shield as well as a modded controller is by keeping your triggers squeezed 80% down for the ENTIRE match. enjoy bi.tches)
Different bindings do. Also, I have absolutely no problem squeezing my finger down when I expect to shield, and I shield very well. I don't see the problem here. I don't even notice I do it.

err

Smash Journeyman
really? i hated it. plus i realized my melee controller absolutely sucked for brawl. so i took a different GCN controller and removed the springs, just to try it... and i gotta say, i love it.

BUT i have only played with legit controllers in tourneys thus far

Zek

Smash Ace
It's an extremely easy and cheap controller mod that fixes a very annoying problem with the Gamecube controls. I don't see much reason to ban it. I did it to mine and it's a big improvement. The trigger springs are nothing but a handicap in Brawl.

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
Or... you could just learn to push all the way down on the button. And if you're too slow to push down a button instantly... you have really weak fingers.

Eten

Smash Ace
I set x to shield, and L to jump. This way I can shield quickly with X if I wanted to, since shielding is no longer analog, but still have the R button to shield so I can combine shield+other action, like up-B out of shield and whatnot. Also, with L as another jump, I can do the same thing and jump without having to use my right hand thumb, and turn off tap-jump to avoid error all at the same time.

No controller modifications necessary.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
Though it can be argued that those who use their own controller will know the timing and whatnot, the fact is the person without the spring has the "better controller" for the game. If you like it that much, then you should either switch over to one of the THREE OTHER SET-UPS or reroute your controller to something to the effects of what Eten has.

Example: Someone not willing to learn wavedashing in Melee compared to those that took the time. You can learn the **** timing with the spring as well. It's not that hard. Hell, if you've played Wifi matches you know you have to adjust your timing to be earlier to do well. It's a mere adjustment, and doing a non-aesthetic mod like that is just an example of someone who for whatever reason has no heart in learning the timing, yet they can wavedash, powershield, l-cancel, etc, on the dime in Melee.

Seriously, I don't even know WHY this would need discussion. It's simple little facts.

Shaman

Smash Apprentice
honestly, I don't think it would be a good idea to mod your controller if you only have one, or are confident you have the skill to reverse it, because at least for now its best to assume mods are banned until otherwise stated, and in the tournament section, several TO's are already saying at least at first mods will be banned from their tourney's.

err

Smash Journeyman
i can and do play brawl with my other controllers, but i always find myself wondering why. It's not like this breaks the game for anyone. if anything it helps people more swiftly drop a good melee habit that is a relatively bad habit for brawl.

and if you ask me, the guys playing around with remapping their buttons are in a position to do more crazy **** than a little spring-popper like myself. (actually, remapping attack to shoulder buttons isn't THAT big of a performance boost, but you never ever miss the autocancel on ganon's stomp) , but i guess for tournament play i'll just have to create a profile with a good button mapping. that's just asking for trouble when i feel like playing melee again.

anyway.. if people do start to allow this at tournaments then as a community we should encourage people to bring their tri-wings to tournaments to help a brother out.

or order a couple thousand in bulk and sell them through SWF shop at a good price

Top Bottom