• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Control Stick vs Button Jumping

Oops!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aguyudontknow
3DS FC
1693-1719-9908
So one of the biggest problems I have while playing Smash is being able to consistently perform up tilts because I use the control stick to jump. I've tried using the buttons instead before and just couldn't get used to it. Currently I crouch and c-stick up to do up tilts. It works but it's obviously slower than just using the control stick. Honestly, I get by fine while rarely using up tilts, but I hate practically excluding a move from my arsenal. Anyway I'm wondering if you all think I should either force myself to get used to using the buttons for jumping or stick to my habits.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
So one of the biggest problems I have while playing Smash is being able to consistently perform up tilts because I use the control stick to jump. I've tried using the buttons instead before and just couldn't get used to it. Currently I crouch and c-stick up to do up tilts. It works but it's obviously slower than just using the control stick. Honestly, I get by fine while rarely using up tilts, but I hate practically excluding a move from my arsenal. Anyway I'm wondering if you all think I should either force myself to get used to using the buttons for jumping or stick to my habits.
As a person who uses tap jump myself, just stick to whatever is comfortable with you. If it takes that much more practice to use the buttons to jump stick with tap jump. I am able to do everything that a person without tap jump can do, you just gotta get used to it. Myths like cstick forces you to jump when you have tap jump on is a lie, dont listen to them.

As for your problem, I preform up-tilts the way the name says... I tilt it. Dont press it all the way up, push it about half way and you wont jump and you can uptilt, kinda like if you were to ftilt or dtilt on platforms but upwards. Honestly I think that would be easier than forcing yourself to use buttons. Good Day~

Last edited:

Oops!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aguyudontknow
3DS FC
1693-1719-9908
As a person who uses tap jump myself, just stick to whatever is comfortable with you. If it takes that much more practice to use the buttons to jump stick with tap jump. I am able to do everything that a person without tap jump can do, you just gotta get used to it. Myths like cstick forces you to jump when you have tap jump on is a lie, dont listen to them.

As for your problem, I preform up-tilts the way the name says... I tilt it. Dont press it all the way up, push it about half way and you wont jump and you can uptilt, kinda like if you were to ftilt or dtilt on platforms but upwards. Honestly I think that would be easier than forcing yourself to use buttons. Good Day~
Thanks for your input =) I'll definitely practice the method you suggested for up tilts.

Top Bottom