• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Control preferences for instant aerials? Help & advice

Dr. Bread

Smash Apprentice
So im currently working through a difficulty im having with the following sequence of actions:
dash left> dash/pivot right > short-hop backwards > instant retreating f-air (i use exclusively X for jumping, c-stick for aerials, and sometimes A for aerials, ive been having issues with this particular maneuver for both c-stick and a button)

its been a big problem for me and im practicing to overcome it, but i wanna know if other marths had this problem and what their approaches to it have been.

i noticed during matches that i was much more liberal with my f-airs and precise with my spacing when facing left than when facing right, and i realized that i was misspacing early f-airs to the right a lot because i would always be hopping forward or drifting forwards, especially if i was dashing forwards beforehand.

I took this into training mode and i realized that it took a lot of mental effort just for me to perform retreating early short-hop f-airs when facing to the right, especially when dashing right or turning right, meanwhile when i was doing it to the left i could effortlessly flick my thumb from x to push the c-stick left.

i experimented with the a-button and found that it was pretty easy to do retreating short-hop instant f-airs from a standstill or even when walking or dashing right, but if i was dashing left and i needed to pivot and do a retreating instant f-air to someone behind me, i kept finding that i couldn't do it at all with the a-button, and with the c-stick i would always either be too slow(at least, too slow to get frame 5 of the f-air out before i landed) or it would take all my focus thinking about the inputs(something which would be severely detrimental in tournament).

I plan to practice using the c-stick for this manuever until i can do it without thinking, but i wanna know if any other marths had issues with the micro-spacing on right-facing instant f-airs, especially marths who also use the c-stick.

A_Reverie

Smash Apprentice
I use Y to jump, that way my thumb doesn't have to go so far to push the C-stick to the right.

Top Bottom