• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Constructive Criticism for Report

RPK

Smash Lord
This doesnt involve my smash game or anything but anyways for some odd reason, it was probably during that time I was up for 5 days straight...Anyways in my writing class were doing a Saturation Report and I chose SSBM as my topic. So what should I write about? By the way this is do tomorrow and I need atleast 10 pages so yeah...Help please.....-_-

EDIT: Okay I changed it since I know what to write about but can I get some constructive criticism so I know what I should change and what I should write about next

the problem

Smash Apprentice
Write about how great smash is because it doesn't just depend on the strenght or just speed but mind games etc....

Write about your favorite character and why etc...

The stages you like

The event's you like

How fast you've done adventure/classic modes

How many tournies have you been too

How many players you've played with

Do you plan on retiring

Thats all the help I've got good luck

RPK

Smash Lord
Okay here is what I have

The Casual Gamer

The video game known as Super Smash Brothers Melee is a fun family friendly video game. Where nintendo characters such as Mario, Peach, Luigi, Fox, Link, Pikachu and other nintendo characters try to knock each other off the stage. A game where a casual gamer places his game on dodge rolls and the spamming of techniques such as Marth's Forward Smash in which he slashes his sword swiftly down in front of him, Peach's Down Smash where she spins around and does an enourmous amount of damage, or Samus's Forward B in which she fires a missle that can go straight at a high speed, dealing more damage, or fire a weaker missle that homes in on the target. However the gameplay of Super Smash Brother's Melee has evolved over time and evolved into a complex and in depth game where new techniques for Super Smash Brothers Melee arise changing ones game play to that of an advanced level or advanced gaming.

The Advanced Gamer

The Advanced Gamer is a player who knows the mechanics of the game and is able to crush his opponents with the proper application of techniques and mindgames. Every Advanced Gamer however though started as a Casual Gamer but found out later of advanced gameplay. Their skills have evolved after hours upon hours of practice and are able to crush most, if not all Casual Gamers he plays against. With the right knowledge and enough practice anyone can go from a Casual Gamer, who knows the basic techniques, to an Advanced Gamer where he has gone past the basics and into another level of which he has yet to explore.

The Path to Advanced Gaming and Its Building Blocks.

The techniques that is listed here are techniques in which every Advanced Gamer or Advanced Smasher knows and is a second nature to them. The techniques that range of the basic Shield Grab to the advanced technique of Pivoting, Wavedashing, L-Canceling and many other techniques that will be covered.

Fundamentals

-The Short Hop

A very simple technique which could be easily grasped after only a couple of hours of practicing. The short hop is a technique that should of have been grasped when one was a Casual Gamer. In order to perform the short hop one must press the jump button quickly which will result in a character's jump to be almost cut in half. A simple technique in which where this technique always fitting into a player's style of gameplay. Such as Fox's SHL which allows him to move across the stage while firing his B attack at the opponent or his lazer or other techniques such as the Shuffle which will be covered shortly, however the next two techniques are required in order to perform a Shuffle and the next one is a Fast Fall.

-Fast Falling

The Fall is a technique in which simply by pressing down on the joystick which results in a character to fall at a faster falling speed then normal. This is a technique which should have also been grasped when one was a Casual Gamer. This technique isnt used for that many things but is very, very easy to grasp. However this next technique is something that should be practiced consistantly as it is a difficult, yet most useful technique to master.

-The L-Cancel

This was a technique that was founded during the time when people played the original Super Smash Brothers back on the Nintendo 64. A technique that allows a character to move twice as fast when traveling around the stage. In order to perform this technique you must press L right as your character lands after performing an aerial attack. The result you get from performing this technique correctly is that the lag frames you get from performing an aerial attack are cut in half allowing your character. For some moves it is almost unnoticable and will be impossible to see. However for characters, such as Bower, or Ganondorf, when they perform an L-Cancel the result is clearly shown as they go back to their standing frames quickly. This is a technique that should be mastered by every smash as it WILL improve their gameplay immensely. All Advanced Smashers can perform this move as though it was a second nature to them as well as most of the techniques that will be mentioned later on.

-The Shuffle

The reason I didnt mention this sooner is because without the last three techniques I mentioned, explaining this would be useless and leave you in the dark till I explained them. Now, The Shuffle is a technique that incorperates Short Hopping, Fast Falling, And L-Canceling. The result gives you a quick moving character performing aerials all over the stage. Now to perform a Shuffle, or SHFFL, you must have your character Short Hop, then at the peak of his or her jump perform an aerial attack such as Bair, Fair, Dair, Nair or Uair, then during the aerial, Fast Fall the aerial. Right as your character lands L-Cancel to have the landing frames from the L-Cancel be cut in half. This technique is used by all and is a feared weapon that should be in every single Advanced Smasher's arsenal.

What should I write next and some criticism would greatly help me out thank you

oncearunner

Smash Apprentice
i think u should explain more about the game before u explain the adv. techs pretend the reader has never heard about ssbm, and doesnt kno what it is, cuz your teachers probly doesnt.

ur first paragragh is a bit like a run on

RPK

Smash Lord
yeah...Im not too good at writing as you can tell >.> but sh*t....Looks like I have a long ways to go T_T looks like this might be an all nighter

Marth/Falco Pro

Smash Lord
yeah...Im not too good at writing as you can tell >.> but sh*t....Looks like I have a long ways to go T_T looks like this might be an all nighter
It's really awesome to me but that's cuz I'm a little kid lol. Anyway, I think you should have atleast a more descriptive introduction of the game before you start about the techs. Did you procrastinate btw? If you did, ouchies for you man, 10 pages of report is rapesies on a little kid like me :laugh:

technomancer

Smash Champion
10 pages on SSBM? You must be crazy.

Here's your theme: the more you know how to combine different elements, the more sucessful you will be in SSBM.

You can start by defining the gameplay, as you have above, but put alot more into it, cuz it's a paper and has to be full of BS lol. Then start going into matchup theory; i.e. characters start with a standard gameplan, "I'll use this move alot and do this occasionally." Then you incorporate mindgames and character specific strats, and you can quote G-Regulate :D and that's it, paper over A++++ :D

Also, have someone that doesn't play smash read it over and make sure it makes sense.

RPK

Smash Lord
I shouldnt worry though I get to double space it so its technically only 5 pages xD still though ouch for me..Anyways Ill probably be back and will have Editted that report I posted. And for that question on did I procrastinate? Well I have 12 hours and its 931 pm here and I got started 30 minutes ago...So yes I did =D
EDIT: In addition we also had to do a volcabulary worksheet thing so I can probably skip some description..Thank god T_T
EDIT: Thanks guys. This should help a crap load but keep them coming so I can be sure to get an A++++++++ on my paper =D and if I get a low grade...I am going to cry...

Seyasha

Smash Apprentice
I'd say the mind games could take a page by themselves. talk about the paterns, rythmes, themes, of each player in a worldwide fight for superiorty.Talk about the contravercies and such.

Peaches

Smash Lord
Are you implying that mind games arn't important in SSBM? because if you are, your a fool. And if you aren't then allow me to delete this post.
No, I was implying that you do need speed and strength. Mindgames are great and all, but if you don't have the tech skill to mathc you're going to get stomped.

RPK

Smash Lord
okay Im gunna post again on what I have. And just so you guys know....I fell asleep xD so Im on it again right now

The Casual Gamer and The Advanced Gamer

casual gamer places his game on dodge rolls and the spamming of techniques such as Marth's Forward Smash in which he slashes his sword swiftly down in front of him, Peach's Down Smash where she spins around and does an enourmous amount of damage, or Samus's Forward B in which she fires a missle that can go straight at a high speed, dealing more damage, or fire a weaker missle that homes in on the target. However the gameplay of Super Smash Brother's Melee has evolved over time and evolved into a complex and in depth game where new techniques for Super Smash Brothers Melee arise changing ones game play to that of an advanced level or advanced gaming.

The Advanced Gamer is a player who knows the mechanics of the game and is able to crush his opponents with the proper application of techniques and mindgames. Every Advanced Gamer however though started as a Casual Gamer but found out later of advanced gameplay. Their skills have evolved after hours upon hours of practice and are able to crush most, if not all Casual Gamers he plays against. With the right knowledge and enough practice anyone can go from a Casual Gamer, who knows the basic techniques, to an Advanced Gamer where he has gone past the basics and into another level of which he has yet to explore.

The Path to Advanced Gaming and Its Building Blocks.

The techniques that is listed here are techniques in which every Advanced Gamer or Advanced Smasher knows and is a second nature to them. The techniques that range from the basic Shield Grab to the advanced technique of Pivoting, Wavedashing, L-Canceling and many other techniques that are out there but only specific techniques will be covered that will greatly help increase ones gameplay and by being able to combine these many different elements of the game the more successful you will be in SSBM.

-The Short Hop

A very simple technique which could be easily grasped after only a couple of hours of practicing. The short hop is a technique that should of have been grasped when one was a Casual Gamer. In order to perform the short hop one must press the jump button quickly which will result in a character's jump to be almost cut in half. A simple technique in which where this technique always fitting into a player's style of gameplay. Such as Fox's SHL which allows him to move across the stage while firing his B attack at the opponent or his lazer or other techniques such as the Shuffle which will be covered shortly, however the next two techniques are required in order to perform a Shuffle and the next one is a Fast Fall.

-Fast Falling

The Fall is a technique in which simply by pressing down on the joystick which results in a character to fall at a faster falling speed then normal. This is a technique which should have also been grasped when one was a Casual Gamer. This technique isnt used for that many things but is very, very easy to grasp. However this next technique is something that should be practiced consistantly as it is a difficult, yet most useful technique to master.

-The L-Cancel

This was a technique that was founded during the time when people played the original Super Smash Brothers back on the Nintendo 64. A technique that allows a character to move twice as fast when traveling around the stage. In order to perform this technique you must press L right as your character lands after performing an aerial attack. The result you get from performing this technique correctly is that the lag frames you get from performing an aerial attack are cut in half allowing your character. For some moves it is almost un-noticable and will be impossible to see. However for characters, such as Bower, or Ganondorf, when they perform an L-Cancel the result is clearly shown as they go back to their standing frames quickly. This is a technique that should be mastered by every smash as it WILL improve their gameplay immensely. All Advanced Smashers can perform this move as though it was a second nature to them as well as most of the techniques that will be mentioned later on.

-The Shuffle

The reason I didnt mention this sooner is because without the last three techniques I mentioned, explaining this would be useless and leave you in the dark till I explained them. Now, The Shuffle is a technique that incorperrates Short Hopping, Fast Falling, And L-Canceling. The result gives you a quick moving character performing aerials all over the stage. Now to perform a Shuffle, or SHFFL, you must have your character Short Hop, then at the peak of his or her jump perform an aerial attack such as Bair, Fair, Dair, Nair or Uair, then during the aerial, Fast Fall the aerial. Right as your character lands L-Cancel to have the landing frames from the L-Cancel be cut in half. This technique is used by all and is a feared weapon that should be in every single Advanced Smasher's aresenal.

-Shield Grabbing

Shield Grabbing is a technique that out of the shield you are able to grab your opponent so you will be able to throw him and get him or her into a combo. This move is one of the Fundamentals that should be learned in melee for if your opponent attempts to perform an attack you can immedietly grab him for instant retaliation while you take no damage. In order to perform a Shield Grab you have to

Wavedashing

The first technique that makes all Casual Smashers that if seen, makes them go "WTF HOW DID HE DO THAT! HAXORZ!!!!!!!111111" This technique takes advantage of the game's Physics Engine and was founded by a Luigi player a few years ago. In order to perform this technique which all Advanced Smashers can perform with ease, is to jump then quickly have your character jump then quickly have your character airdodge into the ground at an angle that is less then 180 degrees. The end result will have your character perform an obscure movement in which they will slide across the ground. There are almost an endless amount of applications for this technique as the definition for this technique is to have your character be moving while standing still. So anything can come out of a wavedash such as a Smash attack, Dodge roll, Dash or anything else. It can be used for many many things such as Edge Hogging, Mind Games, Spacing, Wavedashing forwards/backwards into an attack, Wavedashing into/out of shield/shine, Wavedashing into a grab, Wavedashing combined with normal dash dancing, Wavedashing upon landing (just the dodge into the ground required), Wavedashing into platforms for quicker landings (just the dodge into the ground required) And much, much more other applications that come with mastery of this technique.

Directional Influence

Directional Influence or DI is what this is called. It is a simple technique where you control the trajectory of your character of your character or how he or she moves within mid-air. To control DI you just have to hit the joystick or the C-stick in the given direction where you want you character to fly after being hit.

Game Play

Advanced Smashers know all the techniques in addition to know their characters from the inside and out and coming up with ideas on how to play their character. The plans for their character are already pre-thought when he or she picks them up in order to practice with them. Such as the character Jigglypuff who already, when picked up, has a strategy behind the way you play her.

-Jigglypuff

Seyasha

Smash Apprentice
No, I was implying that you do need speed and strength. Mindgames are great and all, but if you don't have the tech skill to mathc you're going to get stomped.
True. If your mindgames consist of leading, and all your doing to avoid is rolling then yes your going to be owned. I agree if you don't have the skill to pull off mindtricks they are, no use.

As for your report it's pretty nice. You may want to add a little section about each of the chracters with their strenghts and weaknesses.

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
your report is looking pretty good man I say you should go into detail with the characters and maybe the levels (not all the levels but probably tournament legal) however I have to say one thing...
"WTF HOW DID HE DO THAT! HAXORZ!!!!!!!111111"
hopefully your kidding about that oh also you went into talking about DashDancing without explaining what it is

anyway I gotta go pick up my laundry cause not all of us are rich enough to have our own washers lol

Smash Master
I think you should add some basics to the beginning of the report (loosely copy the How to play on the game disc)

Top Bottom