• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Console gaming vs Pc gaming vs Handheld gaming vs Mobile gaming?

ProjectArena

Smash Rookie
what type of gaming would you still like to see in the future vs what you think needs to go to make the gaming community better?

i will forever be a console gamer i don't like mobile gaming at all

Slattman92

Smash Rookie
Mobile gaming will never be as serious as handheld gaming or console/pc gaming. You will never see a serious AAA title for mobile, however, that isn't going to stop developers from making mobile games since they are a huge cash cow.

I honestly don't see the gaming community changing much over the next decade. Sure, things like the Oculus Rift and their giant human sized controller are cool, but I don't see that being something most gamers will shell money out for. In all honesty, I would expect more changes in respect to what the difference is between last gan and current gen. Better graphics card, more memory on the consoles, and a focus on making "bigger, more immersive" games (like GTAV and Dragon Age).

CArniE

Smash Cadet
NNID
TokioCore
I like Console the best, I like sitting on my couch being able to play games comfortably, rather than having to sit in a desk chair and game. Also i don't see mobile gaming becoming a huge thing, it's true that some of the games they have get really popular, but not to the extent of console/PC/handheld.

AUS

Smash Cadet
To me it's PC gaming master race. PC has most games from Playstation and Xbox ported to PC and since you can build your PC into something great like I have every game look amazing with it. As well PC always has a good and easy to access modding scene. Im not saying that consoles should be phased out since I think there is a time and place for consoles. Nintendo in my opinion makes the most worthwhile consoles since games to come out on Wii U or 3DS barely ever come to PC. As for Mobile gaming, never liked it and don't see it ever becoming more than something to waste time with during classes. As for what the future holds, I could honestly see VR (Virtual Reality) becoming big with the Occulas Rift and Project Morpheus. Since other than VR what other big step is left for gaming to take?

finalark

SNORLAX
Oh man, this could get ugly. Let's try to keep this civil.

Personally, I'm a fan of console gaming. Despite being part of information generation I'm pretty dense when it comes to computers. And frankly speaking, it's not really a topic I'm all that interesting in figuring out. Just buying a box I can slap disks into while I relax on a couch works for me. Plus, contrary to popular belief, consoles can have really long lifespans if you're interesting in going back and picking up gems that you might have missed for (usually) reasonably cheap late into the console's life cycle.

Plus I don't like pouring a ton of money into a PC. The PC I have right now is out-of-the-box and runs everything I throw at it just fine. The PC gamer culture demands constant upgrades that I personally don't care to get invested into.

I'm not much of a fan of handhelds, personally. I don't have enough breaks in the day to justify on-the-go gaming and while the GBA was great for childhood road trips the whole scene has lost its relevance to me since I don't really partake in those anymore. Although I still own a 3DS which I play relatively often because many of my favorite series tend to be huge on handhelds.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Honestly, mobile games and handheld games aren't really all that different. Sure, in most cases, there are huge leaps in quality between the two, but here's something to put things in perspective:

People are aware that the vast majority of mobile games are freemium, where you download the games for free, but if you want to really get anywhere, you can make micro transactions with real money in game. "Angry Birds", "Brave Frontier", "Candy Crush", "WWE Immortals", "Soccer Spirits", the list goes on...

Now consider that Nintendo is releasing "Pokémon Shuffle", a puzzle game for the 3DS that is free to download. The game has a timer system where you have to wait for a recharge before you can play again, and the gameplay itself is reminiscent of the likes of "Bejeweled", "Candy Crush", etc. Furthermore, the game will have microtransactions much like any other generic mobile game. Hell, had it not been for the Pokémon branding, no one would know the difference between that and any other mobile game out now.

The point is that yes, there are obvious differences between mobile and handheld games, but the two aren't exactly too far from one another by design. I will admit, I've become more a mobile gamer because it's just extremely easy and convenient to just download a free game and play from the word "go". Still, at the end of the day, there's no better feeling than holding a controller in my hands and playing on the big screen, even if I have been doing that less and less.

Last edited:

Minato

穏やかじゃない
For what type of gaming I'd like to see in the future? Definitely Console and Handheld most for me since I never want those to die out. But I want all types of platforms to keep going since it gives more variety of options. I don't have a gaming PC right now, and most mobile games don't suit me too much. TWEWY was actually the game I played the most of on my phone, just because that's the type of experience I want in games.

final lap

Smash Journeyman
Mobile doesn't work for large games because you get with 800+ MB updates out of nowhere and there's no way to pause them. (on android anyways, maybe iOS is better in this regard) I had to delete Magic 2015 for this reason. At first I disabled auto updates, but this is not an acceptable solution. Manual updates is handled very poorly, you have to go to the Play store for each app you own, hit update, read the permissions, approve the update, then wait for it to finish downloading before you can do it for the next 50 apps you have installed. (since downloading practically takes you offline) It's ridiculous.
Also on tablet you don't have controls which sucks.

PC doesn't fit well for games imo because PCs are for other things. Also, for being considered the master race, most PCs have incredibly poor specs for games. Yes you can upgrade your PC or buy a new one but most people aren't going to do that and I sure as hell am not willing to. What someone needs to do is release a console for PC. Basically a complete external upgrade you simply plug into the PC and turns your PC into a game machine, sort of like OnLive except the box itself runs all the games.

Console has some problems too. People get a TV to watch TV. If you try to play on it you get in the way and you'll be shoved off. You're forced to schedule around everyone's TV watching habits. It is kind of selfish in a way since TV can be watched my multiple people but usually only one person can play at a time and it requires massive hours of investment before a game goes into full swing. So in a way gaming doesn't make sense for TVs aside from casual or multiplayer experiences. And by multiplayer, I mean with friends/family on the same TV. Then there's motion controls, which aren't always casual, but make sense for TV simply for the fact they can't be done anywhere else. (p.s. How come console controllers don't have TV remote functionality. Not even volume controls. I guess handhelds spoiled me)

For the vast majority of games, handheld is the best and is what should become the future. Many types of experiences lend themselves more naturally toward handhelds, such as RPGs or any games with lots of reading, math, or management elements, since it's akin to reading a book/magazine. Nobody uses their TV to read, so console gaming should focus more on cinematic experiences.

in other words
console = TV
handheld = tablet

tablets are used for watching and reading
TVs are used exclusively for watching

Therefore, some types of games are less suitable for tv than others. Console games should be more passive, faster paced, or arcade-like. I think of TV as an arcade cabinet which begets a social atmosphere. There's nothing wrong with having a variety of games to appease all audiences, but I think it wouldn't hurt when creating for a given platform to focus on that platform's strengths. Handheld and desktop for solitary experience, console for pick-up-and-play.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
Handheld and desktop for solitary experience, console for pick-up-and-play.
I... Wait, what?

PC doesn't fit well for games imo because PCs are for other things. Also, for being considered the master race, most PCs have incredibly poor specs for games. Yes you can upgrade your PC or buy a new one but most people aren't going to do that and I sure as hell am not willing to. What someone needs to do is release a console for PC. Basically a complete external upgrade you simply plug into the PC and turns your PC into a game machine, sort of like OnLive except the box itself runs all the games.
I use my PS3 to watch movies, that doesn't mean it's not well suited for games.

Most PC games have a wide variety of video options so they can be ran on a wide variety of computers. For example, my dirt-cheap laptop which I bought to write papers and fiction can run Diablo III, StarCraft II and Civilization V no problem.

I do like the idea of a quick and easy upgrade box that you can just plug into your PC to run games off of, mostly because I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to computers, but I don't imagine it being much cheaper than just buying a new graphics card.

Console has some problems too. People get a TV to watch TV. If you try to play on it you get in the way and you'll be shoved off. You're forced to schedule around everyone's TV watching habits. It is kind of selfish in a way since TV can be watched my multiple people but usually only one person can play at a time and it requires massive hours of investment before a game goes into full swing. So in a way gaming doesn't make sense for TVs aside from casual or multiplayer experiences. And by multiplayer, I mean with friends/family on the same TV. Then there's motion controls, which aren't always casual, but make sense for TV simply for the fact they can't be done anywhere else. (p.s. How come console controllers don't have TV remote functionality. Not even volume controls. I guess handhelds spoiled me)
If getting kicked off the TV is such a big problem then I'd suggest looking into getting a personal TV to station in your room/other living space exclusively for console use. Most older televisions (hell, even some small HD TVs) are actually really cheap these days. And even if money is a problem many computer monitors also have inputs for game consoles.

Or you could just buy a Wii U if none of those are really options for you.

Anyway, if I'm going to play a long game that I can really sink it I'd rather it be on console or PC where I can sit in a nice comfy chair with a controller/keyboard. I'd like to disagree and say that handhelds are best suited for pick-up-and-play style arcade games over everything else. Hell, the original gameboy was designed with the on-the-go Japanese lifestyle in mind so that people could play games while they waited on the subway. In the US that translates to a quick little games while you're riding the bus to work. Something that you can start and stop at any point in time with zero commitment.

This is why I've been dying for a DS player. If I could play Bravely Default, Shin Megami Tensei IV or Fire Emblem Awakening with the comfort of a controller and television that would be wonderful. It would certainly beat straining your eyes on a tiny screen while your back gets sore from being hunched over or your arms get tired from holding the damn thing up for hours on end.

If I haven't made it obvious, I hate when RPGs are on handheld. Shifting around to find a comfortable way to sit and hold your 3DS/Vita/GameGear every twenty minutes is not how I want to spend my free time.

For the vast majority of games, handheld is the best and is what should become the future. Many types of experiences lend themselves more naturally toward handhelds, such as RPGs or any games with lots of reading, math, or management elements, since it's akin to reading a book/magazine. Nobody uses their TV to read, so console gaming should focus more on cinematic experiences.
Maybe it's because I grew up on PS1 RPGs, but I really don't see what's so bad about reading dialog on a TV. If anything, the larger screen makes it easier compared to the eight-size font you find in handheld games. At least with books the text is printed in a manageable size. Unless you've made the terrible mistake of trying to read a twelve hundred page novel packed into a horrible six hundred page block of text AKA airport format.

And again, as I said, if I'm going to be spending a long time on a single game I'd rather it not be on something designed to be played on a bus. My back, neck and arms can't take it.

Therefore, some types of games are less suitable for tv than others. Console games should be more passive, faster paced, or arcade-like. I think of TV as an arcade cabinet which begets a social atmosphere. There's nothing wrong with having a variety of games to appease all audiences, but I think it wouldn't hurt when creating for a given platform to focus on that platform's strengths. Handheld and desktop for solitary experience, console for pick-up-and-play.
I'd disagree. Handhelds are damn near exclusively made for arcade-like experiences, since they're designed to be picked up, play for a little bit, then shut off as your bus comes to a stop and you get off. Consoles are made to be a centerpiece for you to sit in front of for hours and hours.

It sounds to me like you've just had a hard time using your consoles whenever you'd like and have turned to handhelds as a result. Nothing wrong with that, but you can't deny the purpose of handheld gaming is quick experiences.

Last edited:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Platform is literally in the first sentence of its "about" page.

http://store.steampowered.com/about/
If it were a platform, it would have to be a cross-platform platform inside of a platform. That would be like calling iTunes a platform while it is really just a music distribution program. Similarly, Steam isn't a platform, it is merely a game distribution program. I disagree with their marketing department's branding of their software, but arguing over if it qualifies as a platform or not isn't going to get us anywhere, nor will it add anything to the conversation.

Top Bottom