• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

consistent ledge cancelling?

mirror_eclipse

Smash Rookie
I was just wondering if anyone had any reference as to how one would practice ledge cancelling as Jiggs, and if there are any tricks in particular to executing them.
Also, how crucial is ledge cancelling to Jiggs' aerial game? Video references of ledge cancelling in combat situations would be greatly appreciated as well.
Thanks!

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Ledge canceling is still very useful with Jiggs. It's just not that practical since we usually don't want to land after our aerials in the first place, but doind stuff like weak hit fair/nair, dair or uair ledgecancelled is very useful. Especially dair.
What makes it better is that we have a very easy way to do it thanks to our air mobility.

mirror_eclipse

Smash Rookie
Woah, that Phanna rest video. I didn't even know that kind of stuff was possible.
I can understand why it's not practical, but I figure if you've got to land between WoP's, then an edge cancel to minimize lag would be the way to go.
Also I never thought about ledge-cancelling dair tbh, gotta try to start using that more often :)
Thanks!

Low5_

Smash Apprentice
Woah, that Phanna rest video. I didn't even know that kind of stuff was possible.
I can understand why it's not practical, but I figure if you've got to land between WoP's, then an edge cancel to minimize lag would be the way to go.
Also I never thought about ledge-cancelling dair tbh, gotta try to start using that more often :)
Thanks!
Sure thing! If you look closely many of the rests in the Phanna rest video are from ledge-canceled Fairs, Bairs, and Nairs as well. Good luck pissing off your opponents ;)

Last edited:

Massive

Smash Champion
I do what I call "burnouts" to practice ledge cancelling.
I start up battlefield or DL64 and just try to fair as many times as I can on/around a platform and ledgecancel to get my jumps back.

You'd be surprised at how good the utility of this is. A lot of (especially fox) players rely on cues for puff to land somewhere (ANYWHERE) and the ability to refresh your jumps without any lag is HUGE. Practiced ledgecancelling basically makes puff a complete aerial character.

It also works great as pressuring game if they're platform camping because you can basically plank in midair.

mirror_eclipse

Smash Rookie
I'm definitely going to be practicing burnouts for my next local Smash group meeting, thanks a million!
Also, Low5_, I did notice that. I'm also wondering how much of a factor DI is with regards to Phanna resting/spacing.

Low5_

Smash Apprentice
I'm definitely going to be practicing burnouts for my next local Smash group meeting, thanks a million!
Also, Low5_, I did notice that. I'm also wondering how much of a factor DI is with regards to Phanna resting/spacing.
In most cases they are soft hits or very low percents and if you're not sure if you can land the rest, then use another ariel and continue the combo.

Crossie

Smash Apprentice
I agree with Massive. In general I think that since Puff is such a slow character, anything you can do to speed her up is extremely useful. Ledge canceling is super useful; as Massive said, since Puff is usually at greatest risk when she lands, it's useful to be able to avoid that risk with ledge cancelling. I used to do something like the burnouts Massive described, but now I pretty much just play with computers (or people if I can) and focus really heavily on my movement. People know that Puff is slow, if you can make her move quickly you can get some Ganon-esque mixups.

Last edited:
Top Bottom