• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Considering Switching Mains

Grimtixx

Smash Cadet
NNID
bgood4life
Hi there, friends. I'm a Lucas main and am in need of some advice. I've been playing with Diddy Kong for awhile and he seems to feel very nice to me. (I played Megaman when the game came out and switched to Lucas when he came as a DLC) I really like the fact that Diddy has both the combo-game that Lucas has and the item game that Megaman has rolled up into a fairly adorable character. So should I switch mains? I would still keep my boys but I would do some more experimenting with Diddy. Thanks in advance for any input that I might receive. :)

VPTurnip

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Turnip
3DS FC
0920-3141-8524
I'm not a Diddy, Lucas, or Megaman player, but I do have experience in having difficulty switching and choosing a main.

I'd say continue experimenting, if it feels right, keep it up.

Here's a good checklist for reference when choosing a main:
Do you like the character themselves?
Do you enjoy playing as the character, is it fun smashing with them, for you?
Do the combos and tricks that come with this character feel right? In Diddy's case it'd be his banana, throws and aerial game, I.. think?
Can you pull off said combos and the skills of this character well?
Do you like winning as the character?
And:
Does this character mirror any other characters you may play, in some way, and is that a good thing for you?

Good luck choosing a main, man.~

Clu

Smash Rookie
NNID
HoodieHero
I'm not a Diddy, Lucas, or Megaman player, but I do have experience in having difficulty switching and choosing a main.

I'd say continue experimenting, if it feels right, keep it up.

Here's a good checklist for reference when choosing a main:
Do you like the character themselves?
Do you enjoy playing as the character, is it fun smashing with them, for you?
Do the combos and tricks that come with this character feel right? In Diddy's case it'd be his banana, throws and aerial game, I.. think?
Can you pull off said combos and the skills of this character well?
Do you like winning as the character?
And:
Does this character mirror any other characters you may play, in some way, and is that a good thing for you?

Good luck choosing a main, man.~
Brilliant advice my friend, Im actually going to start applying this in the future when choosing a main, whenever the time may come to choose a main again. Great advice!

Clu

Smash Rookie
NNID
HoodieHero
See, heres what I think about Diddy.

As someone who is currently identifying as a Diddy Main, I can definitely say he is an excellent character to main. He has good matchups against most of the cast, and against characters he struggles against, if you outplay your opponent then you can still succeed. Example: A member of my crew mains Sheik, and consistently performs excellently. But, if I outplay him, I will still win.

Personally, this is just my absurd opinion, but I feel like only choosing one main puts you at a serious disadvantage. Every character has bad matchups, and as a result it is beneficial to play many characters. Thats why I consider my "mains" to be Diddy Kong, Fox (<3), and Ness.

At the end of the day, it's your call. But there's my two cents. Peace.

AmericanSaikyo

Smash Rookie
It's a good time to pick up Diddy honestly. He does well with the new shield mechanics, doesn't inspire the resentment he did early on, and he's just an all around fun character to play.

Top Bottom