• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Conquest Mode now out in Japan! Discussion and Waifu Wars thread

ancara22

Smash Apprentice
Since this mode got opened up fully today for Japan, figured it'd be a good idea to make a thread about it. Both on how it works, who's currently in there for the day/week/ect., discussion on both the mode itself and progress for each teamu, and so forth. With that said, let's do this.

HOW IT WORKS:

You basically have three sides: Red, Blue and Green. Each will contain at least one character on that side. What you do is whenever you win a match with a character listed there on With Anyone mode, then you will score points for that side, and any type of match there works, even For Fun Free For All. The more points a side has, the better. In the end, whoever has the most points by the time they'll switch to a new set, wins. You can win trophies, customization options and the like with this thing as well, as incentive to help get your side to win.

You can contribute points once every 16 hours, so don't worry about your losses destroying your character's score if you lose too much.

Sakurai himself also said he won't tolerate those losing on purpose constantly to help their side out, so no sneaky tactics here. And of course, take it easy whilst going at it.

CURRENT CONQUEST WAR GOING ON:

Shulk (55%)
Marth (45%)

Be advised this isn't always the same every moment, and this can change at any time. Take this as about where things are at the time of the current edit.

This thing will likely fill out over time based on suggestions by people, and also whatever happens over time. Either way, let's discuss, and see how this goes, shall we? :substitute:

Last edited:

ancara22

Smash Apprentice
Well, either way, the sooner someone with a Japan version of the game can give us info on where things are right now, the better.

Until the game comes out on the 3rd, it'll be the only way I can keep this thing updated, since because of obvious reasons.

Brian_Buckley

Smash Rookie
NNID
BrianBuckley
I don't think I'm understanding this correctly. So they choose three characters and assign them to sides, and if you are playing one of those characters your wins with that character will count towards that team?

LinkNIvy

Smash Apprentice
OP should probably change title to something like "Conquest Mode out in Japan" to make it clear that this isn't a suggestion thread.

Also, still confuses about how it works. Is it like when TF2 had the Soldier vs Demo thing going on? This sounds like it could be a good way for the dev team to see balance issues at random online levels

Last edited:

ancara22

Smash Apprentice
I'm being dumb, and forgot how to change the title of the thread.

Still, good idea. Would be a much better thread title to use.

Edit: And fixed. With how the mode is set up, methinks it's likely the best title to go with for this thread, if experience with past games with competition and such can go, and also with vidya like the Fire Emblem series.

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Le ebin waifu wars maymay

U so funny :|

Why is it just Marth vs. Shulk if there's supposed to be 3 different teams at once?

ancara22

Smash Apprentice

Why is it just Marth vs. Shulk if there's supposed to be 3 different teams at once?
1.) Oi m8, I'll fite u 1v1.

2.) I'm unsure. I don't have the game yet, so I can only get info from those who do currently. If someone who has it can better answer, that would be helpful.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero

Maybe it's versatile that way?

I think I'm starting to wrap my head around it. So you could have every character on a team or just one on each team? So it's like a war to get the most wins with that character?

So for this round is it only matches with Shulk vs Marth taken into account?

TroperCase

Smash Cadet
I wonder if only wins against other characters in the set are counted, or if any KOs against any character is counted? And either way, will With Anyone bias itself towards, in this case, putting Shulks and Marths in the same matches?

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Inventive way to figure out tiers. And balance issues. While still having enough time to sort them out in wii u. Sakurai you sneaky director.

Zero Suit Wario

Smash Ace
NNID
Candytechnics
3DS FC
4081-6017-8838
Switch FC
SW 3576 5099 8787
So it's like the WAR! update from TF2, but instead of winning metal shoes we get a party favor. I'm game.

Except most of us are of course going to have to wait 3 more weeks to have fun with this feature.

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
yesterday me and some dude/chick were doing some For Glory 1v1s. we both used shulk, and we both wanted a shulkout, but we kept "missing" each other and were never both shulk at the same time. still, every match whoever was playing shulk would always win.

i've been doing my part.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
I don't think I'm understanding this correctly. So they choose three characters and assign them to sides, and if you are playing one of those characters your wins with that character will count towards that team?
From what I understand, yes, this is exactly how it works.

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
And either way, will With Anyone bias itself towards, in this case, putting Shulks and Marths in the same matches?
i doubt it -- it connects you with players as soon as you enter a room before you even think about selecting a character. unless it calculated beforehand using each player's character usage trends chart, which seems a bit overly complicated. wouldn't be surprised if beating one or more of the conquest competitors would give your conquest competitor bonus points.

Biinii

Smash Apprentice
It does count some sort of points. I played 2 matches as Shulk and I contributed 6 points.

By the way, the current Conquest goes until 9/22 3:01(GMT+9). It is currently Shulk(54%) Marth(46%)

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Hey guys, you don't suppose Sakurai and the team could be using this for balancing purposes, do ya? I honestly think this would be a great way to test MU's that occur around the world and fix them up over time.
Thoughts?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I will represent the crap out of the Rosalina master race. :p

#Rosalina'sChikos

Xcano

Smash Lord
NNID
Xcano128
3DS FC
4511-1143-2506
I don't know why, but it feels like this makes the Smash World more open and connected, for some reason

D

Deleted member

I want a Dark Pit vs. Wii Fit Trainer vs. Megaman matchup. I'd pick up Megaman, since we all know he is the only one people will use :troll:

slimjim

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FS-slimjim
3DS FC
4296-3887-2717
Hey guys, you don't suppose Sakurai and the team could be using this for balancing purposes, do ya? I honestly think this would be a great way to test MU's that occur around the world and fix them up over time.
Thoughts?
I hope not. Hard to balance a game around statistics gathered like this. It takes into account total wins I think, not wins vs losses. So if 1000 matches are played with marth and 600 are wins, that's x points. If 3000 matches are played with shulk, and 1800 are wins, that's 3x points. So Shulk would destroy Marth in the challenge, though the two characters had the same win-loss ratio. Also if it tallies wins from any of the "with anyone" modes, they would be getting input from free-for-all item battles which has flaws. Even if Nintendo decides to patch the game from a balance standpoint, the 3ds and the wiiU are going to have differing statistics upon which they would be balancing. That would create a large difference between the two games. And if they did release balance patches, I hope we at least get patch notes so that we don't have to re-test all the percentages and frame data and everything every time.

ancara22

Smash Apprentice
Sorry for vanishing again, but updated the page a bit with Biinii's updated info on who's where.

If ya can keep us updated Biinii every now and then until the game comes out in Murrica and Europe, that'd be awesome.

Biinii

Smash Apprentice
Right now it is Shulk(55%) Marth(45%)
Some more information on Conquest.

You can only contribute points once every 16 hours.
Points are contributed even from For Fun FFAs.
I'm not sure how the score system goes, I'll be more observative next time.

ancara22

Smash Apprentice
Thanks, any info ya get for us is always awesome, and informative.

Updating as we speak, as I prep up for demo hype in less than 2 days.

Xcano

Smash Lord
NNID
Xcano128
3DS FC
4511-1143-2506
Has anything changed in terms of the characters participating? Or is it still the same war?

Top Bottom