• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Confirmed; Samus' jab doesn't combo by design.

The_Woebegone_Jackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Faver_Jo
3DS FC
4854-6514-7143

It is with a heavy heart that I bring fellow Samus players this news, as it likely means it will never be "fixed" in a patch.

Honestly, I get the logic behind the idea. In Melee and Brawl jab 2 was seldom used unless as a mix-up, rather jab 1 would generally be used for its high priority and fast start up then be canceled into another move. The problem is that the ability to quickly cancel jab doesn't exist anymore, making the strategy null and void for the most part. So all we really are left with is a low damage "get off me" move that only really works at high percents anyway. If proper jab canceling is ever brought back I can personally live with this, but as it currently stands it makes absolutely no sense. Disappointing.

SaturnFrost

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SaturnFrost
Been doing this for quite some time. Jab roll..Jab>down tilt at higher percents. Nice find btw

n00b

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
peasantstat.us
3DS FC
1693-1292-7210
I use it as a tick throw setup in mid percents, if you confirm with the jab, the opponent might throw up shield knowing/expecting an unsafe jab 2, gives you opportunity to dash grab.

angelar

Smash Rookie
nintendo's official advice: "don't use this thing we spent money coding and animating"

angelar

Smash Rookie
more like "don't use jab at all before at least 30% because that's when they maybe start recovering from being hit by your jab slower than you recover from using it"

and no, that doesn't solve the problem, which is that samus has a terrible, almost effectively useless jab.

Last edited:

Savez

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0962-9913-3965
I've started using both jabs against airborne opponents and it's kinda amazing. I have to try if it does combo against ppl who airdodge into the ground.

Cobli Samus

Smash Rookie
NNID
SamusAran1979
It is with a heavy heart that I bring fellow Samus players this news, as it likely means it will never be "fixed" in a patch.

Honestly, I get the logic behind the idea. In Melee and Brawl jab 2 was seldom used unless as a mix-up, rather jab 1 would generally be used for its high priority and fast start up then be canceled into another move. The problem is that the ability to quickly cancel jab doesn't exist anymore, making the strategy null and void for the most part. So all we really are left with is a low damage "get off me" move that only really works at high percents anyway. If proper jab canceling is ever brought back I can personally live with this, but as it currently stands it makes absolutely no sense. Disappointing.
I swear, they are finding a way to continue to mess her up! Whoever is making the decisions on how she's programmed needs to be fired!

FlAlex

Smash Journeyman
"It's safer just to hit with the first attack and then flee."

Samus is a self-reliant bountyhunter! Why would she flee!? Why would you design her jab to be unsafe!?
Is she too "girly" to punch!? If this was designed so that you could hit confirm with jab 1 and then use another move I would be fine, but I haven't been able to go Jab1>F-tilt. Why would you spend money on these animations and coding!?

At this point, I am convinced Sakurai and Team designed her only to play keep away with (imo) sub-par melee options for "balance." Even if her keep-away game is only effective against slow, large characters lacking projectiles.

But, I'll show you Sakurai! We will all show you the power of Vanilla Samus! ...eventually....and by "we" I mean anyone else but me cuz I got no talent.

thanks for the find, The_Woebegone_Jackal.

-Jax

Smash Apprentice
This is slightly hilarious, why they would ever choose to make a jab combo intentionally bad is beyond me. This would really only be acceptable if the second hit had a ton of damage or knockback, but it doesn't even have that.

Grambles

Smash Cadet
The second hit can kill. Plus, it can hit people on the ledge. Still not great, b'yeah, you don't wanna be using that before 30% anyway. Give 'em the ol' shoulder check + double up-air and they'll be soft enough.

FlAlex

Smash Journeyman
The second hit can kill. Plus, it can hit people on the ledge. Still not great, b'yeah, you don't wanna be using that before 30% anyway. Give 'em the ol' shoulder check + double up-air and they'll be soft enough.
At what percents does it kill? And why use it if I have to use an unsafe move before to use it!

N810

Smash Cadet
I feel like if I'm too close to character then they and dodge it or block it. Otherwise, I can do the one-two just fine.

DoubtComplex

Smash Rookie
more like "don't use jab at all before at least 30% because that's when they maybe start recovering from being hit by your jab slower than you recover from using it"

and no, that doesn't solve the problem, which is that samus has a terrible, almost effectively useless jab.
i can't echo this sentiment enough, you can literally only press jab safely at those higher percents or spaced at max range otherwise you take a full jab combo back for HITTING your attack. its horrible. Also because of the fact that you have a long startup grab you cant even punish them if you have time to get your shield up.

Phrygisian

Smash Rookie
NNID
kelsilver9
3DS FC
4081-6733-0493
I noticed this when I was playing around with her moveset and when playing online. Terrible indeed. Kinda feel a sense of indifference for Samus from the dev team/Sakurai.

Top Bottom