• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Confirmed Rumors, Speculations and How the Nintendo Switch Might Affect the Smash Community!

It has been more than week since the launch trailer of the Nintendo Switch. In between the launch trailer and the publication of this article, there have been several rumors and speculations that have been brought up regarding the Nintendo Switch. Here is what we know so far!

A closer look at the Nintendo Switch console

Now, Lets start off with the Switch's stationary dock. Nintendo has released this quote regarding the Switch's dock, "The dock is not the main console unit of Nintendo Switch. The main unit of Nintendo Switch is the unit that has the LCD screen, which the two Joy-Con controllers can be attached to and detached from. The main function of the Nintendo Switch Dock is to provide an output to the TV, as well as charging and providing power to the system. The Nintendo Switch Dock has been created so that it is extremely easy to seamlessly switch from playing games on a TV to transition into a portable mode..." Nintendo has explained and confirmed that the Dock is one big fancy HDMI connector and battery charger, basically. The battery is rumored to last as long as 3 hrs when removed from the charging dock and will excel better when docked.

Now lets move on to the Nintendo Switch's handheld screen. According to sources, the Nintendo Switch has a 6.2" screen that supports up to 720p in resolution. It also features a captive multi-touch screen, whereas the former 3DS and Wii U used resistive touchscreens that need pressure to detect input from the user, and are less precise. What this means is that the Switch screen can detect multiple fingers all at once. When the Switch is docked you can't access the screen as it's now feeding into a connected television, but the right JoyCon controller hides an IR-sensor that could communicate with the dock and allow for a very basic level of touchscreen replication on the larger TV screen - possibly.

A closer look at the back side of the Nintendo Switch

If you are worried about the storage capacity of Nintendo Switch, the Nintendo Switch will support memory expansion via Micro SD card much like the New Nintendo 3DS did before it. According to Lets Play Video Games Nintendo source, the Nintendo Switch development hardware supports Micro SDXC cards up to 128GB in size. A source close to the production of the Switch reveal trailer has informed Let's Play Video Games that the Micro SD slot on the Switch can be located underneath the handheld’s kickstand on the model shown in the reveal trailer.

"The Nintendo Switch can only support up to 128GB of memory? That's fine, I'll just add an external hard-drive to it like I did to my Wii U!" Unfortunately, that will be changed once the Switch is out. A source at Nintendo has confirmed to Let’s Play Video Games that the company does not have any plans to support USB external hard drives being connected to the Nintendo Switch Dock to expand system storage. The main reason that Nintendo is concerned about this situation is that allowing consumers to attach large external drives to the Dock, this will cause players to see the system less portable, harming their core branding for the system as a portable in-home console. Additionally, Nintendo wants to make sure that players can at any time disconnect the handheld from the dock without having to wait for the games' save data to sync. Nintendo’s solution to this is to only allow data to be stored on the handheld, so that any time you disconnect the handheld all the same, the previous save data is available to the player.

A closer look on Nintendo Switch's game chip port

Worried about how big the game chips are going to come with your Switch's memory? According to The Wall Street Journal's Takashi Mochizuki, 16GB is the standard capacity of a Switch game card. It is significantly lower than the space available on a Wii U disc, which can hold around 25GB. With this being said, there might be room for customization in terms of switching out the standard 16GB chip.

Here an example, the remastered version of Skyrim takes up more than 20GB, if that game does indeed come to Switch, it will require some serious tweaking to fit on a standard game card. I still must point out that this is an unconfirmed report, although Mochizuki has been right majority of the time in the past. Nintendo has also confirmed that 3DS games are non compatible to the Nintendo Switch.

Let's continue on the investigation and find out what's under hood of the Nintendo Switch console. As of October 30th, Emily Rogers, a freelance games journalist who also helps developers with game design, she also has a lot of connections in the industry, especially around Nintendo and indie developers, recently posted a tweet about the RAM in Nintendo Switch, she is calculating it at 4GB. Double the RAM the Wii U had and half the RAM than the PS4 and Xbox One. I must stress that this "confirmation" is still classified as speculation, so take this information lightly.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

For people that don't understand, RAM basically lets a system/PC handle more tasks at once. Assuming the Switch is focusing on mostly being for gaming, 4GB is plenty. PS4 and Xbox One have more because they went with the "multimedia system" approach where you could play games and stream or watch TV at the same time. Perhaps we could see other streaming apps such as Twitch on the Nintendo Switch?

Nvidia did confirm that the console does run on Nvidia hardware, specifically the company's Tegra line of mobile processors. When running on the Tegra processor, the Switch will be able to have unity support and the ability to run games in the unreal 4 engine.

Complete line of Amiibo

If you are an Amiibo collector or actually use the use the Amiibo for its functional purpose, you are in luck. We now have the answer to one regarding Amiibo support. Asked if Switch would be compatible with Amiibo figures, a Nintendo representative told GameSpot, "Absolutely. If a Nintendo Switch game supports Amiibo, then the Nintendo Switch home gaming system will as well." We already have some awesome new figures releasing alongside The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, which already features Amiibo support.

A Full List of 3rd Party Developers And Publishers Supporting The Nintendo Switch
Are you eagerly anticipating the arrival of the Nintendo Switch? As the late Satoru Iwata would say 'Please Understand.' During Nintendo's recent financial briefings, Tatsumi Kimishima announced that a Nintendo Switch Presentation will be globally live-streamed from Japan on 12th January. Among the things discussed here, we'll receive the release date of the console, pricing, and a look at the lineup of games in development. At later dates after the presentation, Nintendo will then be putting on Switch demo and sampling events in the U.S. and Europe so that the public can get some hands-on time with the new hybrid console.

How Does Nintendo Switch Affect the Smash Community?
A few things that come to my mind after taking a few days to process the news/rumors about the Nintendo Switch and how it could impact the Super Smash Bros. community in either a positive way or in a negative way.
  • Is this the new platform that, one day, the new edition of Super Smash Bros. will come out on?
  • The Switch could help with being able to play a lot more friendlies at tournaments or at any big Smash event which could the event run a lot smoother.
  • Will there be a GameCube adapter for the Nintendo Switch where we can plug in our controller for competitive game-play? Can we re-use our current adapters?
  • Will there be a port for Super Smash Bros. for Wii U?
  • Will we still have the same DLC characters as before? Will we have new characters due to the immense 3rd party support?
  • Will this be a new game with a different balance patch?
  • It is a lighter console to carry around rather than having to carry around a bunch of tangled wires and tablet based console.
  • Will we finally have an HD remaster of Super Smash Bros. Melee?
  • Will the new Switch Pro Controller feel just as comfortable in your hands such as your traditional GameCube controller?
  • Will the Switch eliminate the traditional TV + Console set up?
  • Will the display screen be big enough for people to play a competitive set on? Will the screen have a certain amount of lag?
  • Can the Nintendo Switch help Nintendo boost its eSports presence? With the recent support and investment that Nintendo is doing, will the Nintendo Switch make its games lucrative enough to attract skilled teams and arena-sized crowds?
---
Once again, are you guys excited as we are for this new console? Are most of you satisfied or skeptical after reading the following rumors and speculations that we now as of now? Feel free to let us know by commenting below and discuss about how you as a community feel about Nintendo Switch. As always, please follow Nintendo's Twitter for any details, announcements and updates on Nintendo Switch. Stay tuned to SmashBoards for more Nintendo news.

Last edited:
Josh Olalde

Comments

Hyped yes!

Wiiu smash? I don't think I'll be ported

New smash game? daddy told us that it was time for a new project (when bayo was announced) so yeah it'll come and if they are smart, I'll be a release title.

Gcc on switch? maybe, they could make switch pad GC controler thingy's. that you slide on your switch or a GCpro controler.

Melee HD? idk could be for a money grab

Lighter and less cable's? well we still need tv's for tourneys. I don't think I'll be comfy playing on a game pad. especially dubs

But we'll see in January.

-CC out

Last edited:
Hyped yes!

Wiiu smash? I don't think I'll be ported

New smash game? daddy told us that it was time for a new project (when bayo was announced) so yeah it'll come and if they are smart, I'll be a release title.

Gcc on switch? maybe, they could make switch pad GC controler thingy's. that you slide on your switch or a GCpro controler.

Melee HD? idk could be for a money grab

Lighter and less cable's? well we still need tv's for tourneys. I don't think I'll be comfy playing on a game pad. especially dubs

But we'll see in January.

-CC out
Thanks for the read :)

This thing is going to flop. Miniaturization only goes so far and fast chips drink electricity. It's just not possible for this thing to deliver on all of its promises using current technology.

I can see a port of Sm4sh happening since Splatoon and MK8 seem to be getting the same treatment and Zelda BotW is too. Alternatively, there could just be a new Smash for it though I feel if that's the case then it'll be a few years since Sm4sh isn't too old.

The lack of ability to use external hard drives sounds problematic since my sister had to borrow my 8gb usb just to hold all of her Wii U games since she got the 8gb model. Also causes problems for the gc adapter. Shouldn't be too bad though since the Switch holds 128gb.

As for Melee HD, without the adapter, the new controller would need analog triggers for light and heavy shielding.

Still not sold on getting one yet. Mostly waiting for the line up of launch games. Not buying another console that'll collect dust for the first 2 years.

I really, REALLY hope this hype machine doesn't have a 3 hour portable battery life; we already saw the trouble it caused on the Wii U. We don't want history to repeat itself, do we?

With what we know of so far, there's at least reason to think this whole Smash 4.5 thing is happening. The question is how much new content there could be. Maybe several newcomers? Maybe more balance patches to fine tune the balance further?

A guy can hope, right?

Maybe we will see a whole new smash game on the switch, but certainly wouldnt be soon. I think that a port of the wiiu bet is a safe bet, and IMO makes perfect sense in a business perspective.

Switch would certainly benefit from a day one smash game, and while not 100% sure until confirmed (even looking at a game in an officiela trailer isnt confirmation DX) We know that Mario kart 8.5 is coming to the switch with new content (I don't think they would do a whole new game and keep the same exact infographies for the cups) And while one of the additions is superflous (king boo) the other isn't (double items).

Plus, like mario kart, the game still looks amazing so a graphical update isn't required, let's them reap the pay off of polishing those game looks to the exeme.

Still, while the very nature of the switch will probably help he competitive and casual party scenes of the game (unless dumb decisions such as no controler options and stuff, but unlikely) Smassh wiiu can still improve A LOT it's single player experience which is Extremely lackluster.

The added power can still be used to flesh out say 8 man smash, like adding coin battles to it.

Personally, besides the obvious as new characters and stages, and maybe Smash run HD, I would love the introduction of new modes to make 4v4 format work and not being just an afterthough. Coin battles in 4v4 could present an interesting teamplay and something as simple as a king of the hill mode (with the hill being a platform appearing somewhere) will certainly bring a more organic teamplay in 4v4.

Additionally an adventure mode akin to melee would be lovely to just have some singleplayer fun, having more options in the stage builder such as setting spawn points, making 8 player smash stages, and maybe a mario maker type stage creator for adventure mode would certainly spice a lot the singleplayer experience!

(oh and the option to make the stages actually look pretty without bending the rules of nature would be welcome)

But still, if its the game with 3ds HD content and a couple of newcomers i would certainly be happy...

This article made me sooooo much more excited for the Switch. I really want a new smash game or another remake of any of the smash games.

...Yeah, I'm nowhere near excited by this.

Not only is this going to flop, it's going to drag Nintendo down hard with it.

I don't think people need be concerned about controller options for future smash titles on Switch. The dock has two USB ports positioned in the same spot as the Wii U, so gamecube adapter compatibility is a sure thing. Why take the time to make it compatible? Why take the time to make this adapter in the first place? - is my answer. Plus that pro controller looks wonderful. Digital triggers already kind of make the pro controller the most viable option for Smash 4, but obviously it complicates things for a Melee HD port that people seem to want. They'd need to reprogram the light shield mechanic. Or remove it. I remember lightshield increases shieldstun, damage sustained, and distance pushed, making it suboptimal in any contemporary situation. The only gamecube game I'm worried they can't find a workaround for is Mario Sunshine. But even that may be as easy as mapping hard press and light press to two different trigger buttons.

There's also mockups from people designing alternative joy cons to attach to the Switch's console controller (the puppy dog face thing, has anybody named it yet?). No doubt the Switch will incorporate new add-ons to take the place of the two joy cons, and one design could very well be the right and left ends of the gamecube controller, complete with analog/arthritis triggers and a Z button rather than an IR sensor on the right joycon.

The two joy cons will work with smash. Miles better than a lone Wii remote can work, but still the poor man's option. The lack of second analogue stick is still a deal breaker for smash veterans, but four face buttons, R/L buttons, and maybe the + and - symbols are buttons too? More buttons to work with than the Wiimote + nunchuk setup, but no d-pad, so I wonder how you would taunt on this controller. About as viable of a control scheme as Wiimote + nunchuk which is the absolute minimum of requirements for viability in Brawl and Smash 4.

Last edited:
...Yeah, I'm nowhere near excited by this.

Not only is this going to flop, it's going to drag Nintendo down hard with it.
Oh, a time traveler! Soothsayers cluelessly proclaiming how Nintendo is going down under, which has been said dozens of times in the past only to be proved wrong again and again. I'm sure what you are saying is a refreshing new prospect that hasn't been heard of before.

I'm hyped for the new console and probable Smash port. Director's cut... eh... I hope it means all DLC included and not new characters. Not because I wouldn't like them (I would LOVE them!) but I surely won't buy the new console day one. If new characters/updates are announced only on the NS, then RIP my Smash "career" lol

So this means Lucina and Dark Pit will be making a return. OK... but please make them into more canon characters instead of clones! Great potential, wasted on other characters' movesets! Do it with Ganondorf as well! (So far I'm satisfied with the state of Dr. Mario)

Also this could be one more balance patch, and maybe even include some characters that were rejected to Mii Fighter costumes. Lloyd? Inkling? Geno? KING K. ROOL??? Only time will tell.

Last edited:
Well if the games have "Director's Cut" as some sort of subtitle, then maybe Ice Climbers could return (since they were "cut" out). Still, we gotta wait and see.

Last edited:
Smash will either be a direct port, or an "iterative sequel" (i.e will include most content from Wii U/3DS, but it has new content and they continue to support it overtime).

• Will we finally have an HD remaster of Super Smash Bros. Melee?
I mean..this is all it would take for me to buy at least two-three of the consoles and two-three copies of Melee HD.

1PC 1PC is there any guarantee on whether the Switch will or will not support av like the Wii U did? Asking since my sister will want the Switch as soon as possible but only has a crt TV. I know games can be played on the gamepad but I'm sure she'd like the option to play on TV too. If not then I'm gonna see about getting her an HD TV for Christmas.

Also, in regards to Sm4sh being confirmed for the Switch, Wolf hype is alive yet again!

My own two cents worth on the questions:
Is this the new platform that, one day, the new edition of Super Smash Bros. will come out on?
Why would Nintendo get rid of one of their more popular series?

Will there be a GameCube adapter for the Nintendo Switch where we can plug in our controller for competitive game-play? Can we re-use our current adapters?
On the docking station I think I saw two USB ports so maybe?

Will the Switch eliminate the traditional TV + Console set up?
Hell no. Why would people play on a screen that small when they can hook it up to a TV at their home?

Will the display screen be big enough for people to play a competitive set on? Will the screen have a certain amount of lag?
If people are going to play it competitively, then they are going to use a larger screen.

Is this the new platform that, one day, the new edition of Super Smash Bros. will come out on?
Asking that question is answering it, in my opinion.

Will there be a GameCube adapter for the Nintendo Switch where we can plug in our controller for competitive game-play? Can we re-use our current adapters?
There ARE two USB ports on the docking station, so I could see it. Alternatively, wireless GC-themed Pro Controllers?

Will there be a port for Super Smash Bros. for Wii U?
I think that was confirmed, but I could be wrong.

Will we still have the same DLC characters as before? Will we have new characters due to the immense 3rd party support?
Sakurai isn't the kind of guy to pick third-parties like a kid in a candy store, so don't count on a lot of it, if any.

Will this be a new game with a different balance patch?
I bet Nintendo would just make the Switch port, though the thought of two Smash games released on the SAME console would be incredible...

It is a lighter console to carry around rather than having to carry around a bunch of tangled wires and tablet based console.
Not a question, but there are still going to be tangled wires because of the docking station

Will we finally have an HD remaster of Super Smash Bros. Melee?
No.

Will the new Switch Pro Controller feel just as comfortable in your hands such as your traditional GameCube controller?
They don't have the same shape, so obviously they won't. Which one will be more comfortable than the others remains to be seen, however.

Will the Switch eliminate the traditional TV + Console set up?
No.

Will the display screen be big enough for people to play a competitive set on? Will the screen have a certain amount of lag?
No. I don't know.

Can the Nintendo Switch help Nintendo boost its eSports presence? With the recent support and investment that Nintendo is doing, will the Nintendo Switch make its games lucrative enough to attract skilled teams and arena-sized crowds?
That question can only be answered by how successful the console gets. If it flops like the Wii U, it won't. If it's a decent success, it might.

Last edited:
KONAMI IS INVOLVED IF THERE IS A SMASH 5 SNAKE IS CONFIRMED
Please reply if you think it could be right or not please :)

Last edited:
Asking that question is answering it, in my opinion.

There ARE two USB ports on the docking station, so I could see it. Alternatively, wireless GC-themed Pro Controllers?

I think that was confirmed, but I could be wrong.

Sakurai isn't the kind of guy to pick third-parties like a kid in a candy store, so don't count on a lot of it, if any.

I bet Nintendo would just make the Switch port, though the thought of two Smash games released on the SAME console would be incredible...

Not a question, but there are still going to be tangled wires because of the docking station

No.

They don't have the same shape, so obviously they won't. Which one will be more comfortable than the others remains to be seen, however.

No.

No. I don't know.

That question can only be answered by how successful the console gets. If it flops like the Wii U, it won't. If it's a decent success, it might.
Thanks for taking the time to answer these.

1PC 1PC is there any guarantee on whether the Switch will or will not support av like the Wii U did? Asking since my sister will want the Switch as soon as possible but only has a crt TV. I know games can be played on the gamepad but I'm sure she'd like the option to play on TV too. If not then I'm gonna see about getting her an HD TV for Christmas.

Also, in regards to Sm4sh being confirmed for the Switch, Wolf hype is alive yet again!
I honestly don't know. there might be since kind of adapter that could do that. But in order to get the MOST out of the switch, it's better to get a HD TV. Wish I could give more info.

My own two cents worth on the questions:

Why would Nintendo get rid of one of their more popular series?

On the docking station I think I saw two USB ports so maybe?

Hell no. Why would people play on a screen that small when they can hook it up to a TV at their home?

If people are going to play it competitively, then they are going to use a larger screen.
Thanks for taking the time to answer these!

I'm getting the impression that some people WANT the Switch to fail just because they didn't get an Xbox or Playstation like they wanted Nintendo to make.

Last edited:
If we do get SSB4-NS PLEASE include a story mode, thats all i want. It can include all kinds of things not in the WiiU/3DS versions, if Story Mode is one of them I'll be content.

Top Bottom