• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Confirmed changes for toonlink?

Theis

Smash Cadet
NNID
pinpong000
I feel like he hasn't been affected by the patch at all, what do you think?

MapleSyrup

Smash Rookie
NNID
Neegoo
Gah, I tested out differences from 3DS (old patch) and Wii U (new patch), but someone told me FD has different blast zones on the two versions. Soooo, I'm not sure if Fsmash/Usmash/Fair/Bthrow increased in knockback like I thought they did.

EDIT: OH, one thing I DID notice was that it was harder to slide off stage with a lot of momentum using boomerang than the previous patch.

EDIT 2: Confirmed I was wrong. 3DS and Wii U versions of FD do indeed have different blast zones, WOOPS.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The only change I found is that the second hit of dsmash doesn't seem to be able to miss anymore. Another TL main said it can still miss, it just doesn't make the opponent go flying again. I really hope there's some obscure buff we haven't found yet to make up for the fact that he got nerfed again, but I've checked the damage and knockback on a bunch of moves and didn't find anything. We even still have the zair come out when we z bomb drop.

Edit: By the way, if you think you've found a change to damage or knockback to a move, check here to make sure your numbers are different from the ones listed here: http://smashboards.com/threads/ball...ition-with-toon-link-work-in-progress.387996/

Also forgot to mention, apparently ftilt and fsmash with a bomb are gone.

Last edited by a moderator:

MapleSyrup

Smash Rookie
NNID
Neegoo
The only change I found is that the second hit of dsmash doesn't seem to be able to miss anymore. Another TL main said it can still miss, it just doesn't make the opponent go flying again. I really hope there's some obscure buff we haven't found yet to make up for the fact that he got nerfed again, but I've checked the damage and knockback on a bunch of moves and didn't find anything. We even still have the zair come out when we z bomb drop.

Edit: By the way, if you think you've found a change to damage or knockback to a move, check here to make sure your numbers are different from the ones listed here: http://smashboards.com/threads/ball...ition-with-toon-link-work-in-progress.387996/

Also forgot to mention, apparently ftilt and fsmash with a bomb are gone.
How do I check the distance I launch an opponent?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You can check the launch distance by going to vs mode, putting the opponent as Mario (I say Mario since I did my tests on him), then in a match without handicap or a match with Mario at 100% handicap use the move and quit out after Mario has stopped flying. On Mario's part of the results screen the number should be under 'launch distance' or something.

Another thing, I heard Lylat's ledges were made less wonky, so can anyone tell if our tether still randomly fails on that stage especially when tilting? I tried it in training mode and the tether failed for me about 5 times out of ~25 tries, but I'm also really bad at using thetether, so it could just be that.

MapleSyrup

Smash Rookie
NNID
Neegoo
You can check the launch distance by going to vs mode, putting the opponent as Mario (I say Mario since I did my tests on him), then in a match without handicap or a match with Mario at 100% handicap use the move and quit out after Mario has stopped flying. On Mario's part of the results screen the number should be under 'launch distance' or something.
Wow, that's pretty awesome!! Thanks for your dedication on that thread!

Kunai KazeKun

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I only found out like Artemis, that the "First" (not second) Hit, have a set KB now. It dont kill instantly anymore :(

But D-Smash is still a good Killmove!

Ukkiez

Smash Rookie
Ftilt while holding a bomb has been patched out. (does anyone care about that?)

ILJ

Smash Apprentice
NNID
giancarlo777
3DS FC
2852-9628-7134
Whats good is that other characters got nerfed in ways that help us manage the fight better. Im just happy i can bomb to fair :)

Artmastercorey

Smash Journeyman
I could be wrong, but I thought toonlink's hyrulian shield usally doesn't block fox's lasers when you stand there, but now they can.

ILJ

Smash Apprentice
NNID
giancarlo777
3DS FC
2852-9628-7134
@ A Artmastercorey Wow I just tested it out and your right....Amazing find. From what I remembered it did not block the lasers. This is crucially important for this MU.

Fluorescent

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NeoRashi
3DS FC
2122-7596-1415
Anyone else find anything? I noticed the Dsmash change while playing but I honestly feel that Toon Link got his Nair improve as the range of it goes farther than before for me.

Haven't compared or tested anything of it but it may be wrong as what has been said earlier on the thread here.

D

Deleted member

The onlt other thing I've found is that, because of the change to our dsmash, the move will sometimes do 12% instead of 13% if the opponent is too far away from the first hit since it doesn't knock them into the second properly.

Artmastercorey

Smash Journeyman
@ A Artmastercorey Wow I just tested it out and your right....Amazing find. From what I remembered it did not block the lasers. This is crucially important for this MU.
Great, glad its new. Yeah seems to work if you hold "down" too. But I dont recall if holding down blocked projectiles before for toonlink in smash wii u.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
Great, glad its new. Yeah seems to work if you hold "down" too. But I dont recall if holding down blocked projectiles before for toonlink in smash wii u.
Indeed it did. You could also block them by walking.
What's about specials and customs they're the most crucial in the gameplan
Nothing seems changed.

Theis

Smash Cadet
NNID
pinpong000
A full stride walk will disable the hylian sheild for toonlink so you have to slow walk in order to trojan solider anything.

ss3katen

Smash Rookie
NNID
ss3katen
Gahh, not being able to Fsmash or Ftilt while holding bombs anymore is really bumming me out :(

D

Deleted member

Found another change to dsmash, unfortunately not good. So not only was it made so the second hit can no longer miss, and that the move now has a sourspot, but it got a fairly large knockback nerf overall. It used to send Mario 42 ft. at 0%, and now sends him 39 ft. At 100% it used to send them 111 ft. at 100%, and now sends him 98 ft. Dsmash was already a terrible kill move and a bad move in general, this nerf was so random and unnecessary.

ILJ

Smash Apprentice
NNID
giancarlo777
3DS FC
2852-9628-7134
Found another change to dsmash, unfortunately not good. So not only was it made so the second hit can no longer miss, and that the move now has a sourspot, but it got a fairly large knockback nerf overall. It used to send Mario 42 ft. at 0%, and now sends him 39 ft. At 100% it used to send them 111 ft. at 100%, and now sends him 98 ft. Dsmash was already a terrible kill move and a bad move in general, this nerf was so random and unnecessary.
That's ok. It is, at least for me, an opportunity-based moved. That is, if it is ideal to use it I will in any given circumstance where it should be used. We should be thankful our special moves are the same. I never used d-smash to kill anyways and i dont think many toon links rely on it. I am wondering if our weight was changed? It is the only thing I can think of that hasn't been tested.

incrediblej

Smash Apprentice
I need to get used to not using down smash I keep forgetting its bad for toon link, I'm so used to links down smash its his fastes move or almost his fastest move and tinks is situational or read that your opponent is gonna roll behind you

powerpaul95

Smash Rookie
Do you think that the metagame of toon will change after those change? I dont think so

Theis

Smash Cadet
NNID
pinpong000
I thought that was always the case. (?)
It was but link has the benefit of walking at full stride while still being protected unlike toon link. the only thing about the hylian sheild that equally benefits both link and toon link is they never drop the sheild standing idle unlike in previous games

Artmastercorey

Smash Journeyman
Did toonlink get stronger somehow? Feels like he's killing earlier with his upair/ upsmash. Also I killed with grounded spinattack which I dont remember ever doing before but it might just be coincidence

D

Deleted member

Did toonlink get stronger somehow? Feels like he's killing earlier with his upair/ upsmash. Also I killed with grounded spinattack which I dont remember ever doing before but it might just be coincidence
Just checked those at 100%. They appear to be unchanged.

VeteranUnderdog

Smash Rookie
NNID
VeteranUnderdog
3DS FC
3110-7027-9609
Im pretty sure his down smash connects on the second hit more consistently. I didn't expect to get hit at the edge of the stage and di-ed towards the blast zone. Its a very quick move.

D

Deleted member

So I just came across this in the Link board's patch thread:
Dair
  • Hit bubble has been increased by 50% resulting in a greater disjoint.
Does anyone know if ours was changed as well? I've been noticing a lot lately that opponents have been getting hit by dair when the sword was very clearly not touching them, something I never once remember happening before the patch. I found it especially weird since a few months ago when I finally got a Brawl disc again I did a bunch of side-by-side comparisons between Gay in Brawl and Smash 4, and noticed that Gay's dair was much more disjointed in Brawl and hardly had a disjoint at all in Smash 4. It'd be lovely if it turned out we've gotten our Brawl disjoint back on our dair.

Last edited by a moderator:

ILJ

Smash Apprentice
NNID
giancarlo777
3DS FC
2852-9628-7134
So I just came across this in the Link board's patch thread:

Does anyone know if ours was changed as well? I've been noticing a lot lately that opponents have been getting hit by dair when the sword was very clearly not touching them, something I never once remember happening before the patch. I found it especially weird since a few months ago when I finally got a Brawl disc again I did a bunch of side-by-side comparisons between Gay in Brawl and Smash 4, and noticed that Gay's dair was much more disjointed in Brawl and hardly had a disjoint at all in Smash 4. It'd be lovely if it turned out we've gotten our Brawl disjoint back on our dair.
I believe there is no change to it.

Whether it is placebo or not our fair feels like it was given more knockback. Im KO'ing opponents under 100% with fair so often that it feels only natural to ask.

D

Deleted member

How did the Link board find the change to their dair, anyway? I've been looking at their patches thread and don't see anything on how they found it, but maybe I accidentally skipped over it or something.
I believe there is no change to it.

Whether it is placebo or not our fair feels like it was given more knockback. Im KO'ing opponents under 100% with fair so often that it feels only natural to ask.
Just checked, fair's knockback is unchanged.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
How did the Link board find the change to their dair, anyway? I've been looking at their patches thread and don't see anything on how they found it, but maybe I accidentally skipped over it or something.
Someone compared two images of when Dair first hits a Mario as they had made some recording footage of the old version before updating. Unfortunately the images weren't perfect because it wasn't a thing that was specifically tested as the change hadn't been thought of before he updated, but since then other tests have been carried out in terms of whether Dair beats X's Uair compared to knowledge of whether it did before. I'm still slightly sceptical myself, but there you go.

Top Bottom