• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Concerning debugging Sm4sh WiiU

FelixTrix

Smash Journeyman
I have some important news concerning the possibility of being able to change Sm4sh bugs by addressing the Sm4sh 3DS flaws and changing them for the WiiU. It's a pretty big statement to claim to be able to do such a thing, so I'm going to first outline why this is possible without making a wall of text.

- I studied abroad in Japan this last year. (Japanese major)
- I have a contact in Japan who works on programming/development for Sm4sh WiiU and 3DS. (works under Sakurai)(Also, won't reveal his name for privacy)
- He has expressed interest in wanting to make the WiiU a great game by fixing bugs or broken ATs existing in the 3DS version. (ZSS infinite, Grab releases on Wario, etc.) To be clear, It would be best not to correct things in the game that may lead to faster or more competitive gameplay that were considered bugs in past games (glidetossing, DACUS, etc.)

The months leading up to the release of smash 4 for the WiiU will contain a long process of debugging of the game, and many of you are already aware of this. I am looking forward to the development of Sm4sh as a competitive game and I want to help it move in the right direction (getting rid of things that could unbalance the game basically).

I would appreciate getting feedback on anything that the smash community wants to change from the 3DS version to the WiiU. I can then message him and see if he can work on any of these issues before the WiiU version is announced. If you're scared of the risk of getting rid of competitive AT's and want to leave the game untouched, I understand.

Again, I can't guarantee that these bugs will be changed. I asked him about Wario's grab release and apparently he had already brought up the issue with Nintendo and they regarded it as a "counterpick to wario, not as a bug that breaks balance". He seemed interested in fixing the ZSS infinite.

To me, this is an important opportunity for Sm4sh that shouldn't be overlooked. If you want confirmation about anything (like the validity of my statement), message me and I'll get back to you personally.

Otherwise, I am looking for consultation on how to improve the game. I know it's a little early to be trying to fix the game, so I'd like the opinion of the smash community on that as well.

こんなに珍しい機会を無駄にしない方がいいよ。

Neoleo21

Smash Apprentice
Momentum is somewhat stiff, like when you jump from running, it kills your momentum in the air. Also, Some people translated some of the equipment and it appear that there is an ability that lowers landing lag from doing aerial attacks to the ground, was this a balancing decision for equipment? Also, there's the giant yoshi glitch in the multiman smash mode, its amusing and please don't patch it. The ZSS infinite is due to Robin's odd footstool physics, he has a low bounce on the ground which allows ZSS to D-smash and lock him in.

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
i'd say just allow players to tech Footstools in a similar way to just teching after getting knocked away.

Also not sure if this is a glitch or not but megaman whenever he lands after using his Up-b Unless he lands with an aerial outside of Nair he suffers the same type of landing lag that he would have suffered if he air dodged to the ground. Sonic doesn't suffer this issue so was wondering if it was an unintentional bug.

Also both megaman and sonic suffer an issue where if they are grabbed out of their up-b they can't reuse their up-b's again. This could be under the same category as wario's grab release so it's understandable if they would opt not to fix it.

Theres also a big with one of yoshi's custom moves where he gets this huge jump off a custom up-b after ground pounding.

I also feel like there should be a bit more shield stun on hits, i understand shields decrease faster but if they offered a bit of stun i feel like it would tip the games balance between offensive and defensive options in a better direction, that or lower the amount of invincibility frames to rolls.

FelixTrix

Smash Journeyman
I'll try and ask some of these when he replies back to my last message. I sent him a video of this weird yoshi teleportation glitch, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yRojBpDufA , so hopefully that can get fixed. Gonna be honest, I don't know how to even say the equivalent to DI in Japanese is but i'll give it my best shot in response to vectoring.

I'm not sure what Nintendo's views are on patching at the moment. They could definitely take away the 3DS bugs as well, but as long as they are aware that they exist then it's a step in the right direction.

Last edited:

XA-tan

Smash Rookie
FYI vectoring is an intentional feature as noted in this Tip: "Hitstun Shuffling – Input in a direction while taking damage, and you'll shift slightly in that direction." (ssbwiki(dot)com/Tips)

Also, it seems like certain pushing moves, such as Mario's FLUDD and Greninja's Hydro Pump, can tend to send the opposing player way too high. This might also be an issue with momentum. (e.g. /watch?v=w7SzDYhf18c&feature=youtu.be&t=16m8s)

I'm surprised not many people have entered the thread yet.

I think the best thing to do with this opportunity is to send him videos of every glitch in the 3DS game there is.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
I think Mega Man could use a buff when it comes to his Leaf Shield, considering its completely useless in a competitive stance.

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
I think Mega Man could use a buff when it comes to his Leaf Shield, considering its completely useless in a competitive stance.
I was about to mention this, but since its not really a "bug" i didnt. But yea leaf shield needs something, as so far its nearly impossible to setup anything with it. Even using it for the purpose they mention in the tips section is difficult. It takes a bit for the leaf shield to activate and it doesnt really block projectiles well. And once he lets the attack go he suffers so much cooldown. It also really hinder him that he cant use at least his neutral A attack while the shield is up. Not sure if you could talk to them about addressing. That move.

As far as other bugs there is one with D3 where he gets his Gordo stuck to him and cant do specials afterwards. And then with wario he has that weird momentum. Glitch.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
I was about to mention this, but since its not really a "bug" i didnt. But yea leaf shield needs something, as so far its nearly impossible to setup anything with it. Even using it for the purpose they mention in the tips section is difficult. It takes a bit for the leaf shield to activate and it doesnt really block projectiles well. And once he lets the attack go he suffers so much cooldown. It also really hinder him that he cant use at least his neutral A attack while the shield is up. Not sure if you could talk to them about addressing. That move.

As far as other bugs there is one with D3 where he gets his Gordo stuck to him and cant do specials afterwards. And then with wario he has that weird momentum. Glitch.
Well...of course its not a "bug" but it could still be patched up to have some sort of use in the Wii U version. My friend plans on becoming a Mega Man user- but he keeps stressing how pointless the Leaf Shield is as a move. I kinda feel bad for him. lol

Last edited:
NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
I'd also like to ask if they would be interested in increasing the amount of time it takes to break out of hit stun by like 3-5 frames. I know a lot of people are complaining that Smash 4 feels like it's gonna play very defensive (less than brawl but enough where there will be lots of camping), and i feel like if the time it took to break out of hit stun were increased by 3-5 frames it would allow for more characters to employ more offensive strategies and reward more characters for committing to attacks rather than getting 2 or 3 good combo strings then waiting for a read and some characters just having close to no combo potential.

Again i understand these requests aren't "bugs", or "glitches" but i do feel this could benefit the overall appeal the game has and the fact that it would only be a minor adjustment it shouldn't have a drastic affect to those who are used to the way the game plays currently and i'm sure it would be very easy to do from a programming stand point.

Top Bottom