• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Computer opponents scare me...

poncho_mcshoe

Smash Apprentice
I was playing against random lvl 9 computer opponents this morning, and a few of the characters were doing some weird ****. King Dedede, rather than taunting like any other character, spammed crouch after KO'ing me. And Jigglypuff kept prolonging her life as long as possible with rising pound when she was about to fall to her death.

Is this normal? I haven't really played much against the computer, so I don't know if they were mimicking me, or if they've always done this. It strikes me as odd, seeing as how those 2 characters are my mains.

rehab

Smash Journeyman
A level 9 Marth crouch-taunted me once, so it's not an isolated thing, anyway. And even the lowest of Wario computers know how to use the bike to recover. They're just plain smarter now.

Crow!

Smash Lord
CPUs know about most standard tricks. Rising pound is one of those tricks, and yes, I've seen CPU Jiggly do that before. Didn't know about Dedede's choice of taunt, but whatever.

I very strongly doubt the CPUs learn. Making an effective machine learning algorythm generally requires many, many megabytes of storage, more than the Wii has total, let alone what Brawl sets aside for itself.

More importantly, however, DO NOT PRACTICE AGAINST LEVEL 9 CPUs. It's just a bad idea; simple, predictable tricks that any human will punish you for will be effective, yet attacks that come out faster than human reaction time (or even some HDTVs' display times) will be powershielded in response.

poncho_mcshoe

Smash Apprentice
The rising pound struck me as odd because it only resorted to it after it had no jumps left, and recovery was hopeless. And I wasn't practicing against them, per se, just... wasting time.

GI Josh

Smash Journeyman
I kinda got scared when I was playing a lvl. 9 link in melee, He used his dair, but then... he L-CANCELED! IS THAT NORMAL?

Geist

Smash Master
Computers, even though they have frame perfect reflexes at times, are extremely stupid.
I fully doubt that they can reproduce techniques that the player does, or else they would be RARing, ledgehopping and at least attempting to make any combo of some sort.

And playing against level 9 computers isn't the best way to get training. I find playing with an empty player 2 character is better...
It's just that as soon as you learn their patterns, beating them without gettting hit is simple stuff.

GI Josh

Smash Journeyman
Computers, even though they have frame perfect reflexes at times, are extremely stupid.
I fully doubt that they can reproduce techniques that the player does, or else they would be RARing, ledgehopping and at least attempting to make any combo of some sort.

And playing against level 9 computers isn't the best way to get training. I find playing with an empty player 2 character is better...
It's just that as soon as you learn their patterns, beating them without gettting hit is simple stuff.
L-Canceling was programed in the game, so I wouldn't be surpised if he did, plus I think I know what I saw. I don't normally play against lvl 9's anyway more like 1's, 2's or 3's

-Final-

Aria♪
I once fought a level nine link. He just randomly started crouch spamming while i waited on the other side of the stage. I went into another room for a few minutes, but when I came back, the CPU was still crouch spamming! CPUs do scare me.

Adapt

Smash Lord
I dunno, I have had a lvl 9 sheik do a jab>jab>ftilt>ftilt>usmash "combo" on me before
killed me too :(
I've also seen a CPU do a ledge-hopped aerial, but not a RAR yet

I have also seen lvl 9 CPUs walk into motion sensor bombs, so I'm kinda on the fence on whether they can reproduce a human's attacks, or they are just lucky.
I agree that it doesn't make sense for the learning bit to be programmed in, but I have seen some copying of my moves before. (the sheik is a good example)

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
CPUs are stupid but have some super predict when to hit and sheild and everything else junk, and I get crouch spammed alot too, T-bagged, wut?

Once I was against a Ganon with items on, and he had a fire flower, and when it ran out, he dropped it and just walk pushed it from center stage until it fell off, it was very funny.

CervPurp63

Smash Apprentice
fighting the CPU is pointless. the only reason to do it is so your fingers dont get rusty from not playing for an extended period of time. the Cpu does the same things over and over again. and their reflexes are impossibly fast. they are able to perfect shield and shield-grab attacks that no human being can react fast enough to defend.

iEatPikmin

Smash Journeyman
A few things I've seen CPU's do:

A Wario on Easy Mode in All-Star got a Goeey Bomb attached to him. He spotdodged it.
A lv 1 Yoshi tried to edgehog me.
A lv 9 Ness spiked me.

Adapt

Smash Lord
Related to CPUs... does anyone else find that TL and Wolf in the SSE are better than level 9s? I have had them do some crazy stuff to me. TL once gave me ~50% in a sweet string of attacks

Seventh Sword

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1951-0055-5151
I've been CGed by D3. 'though, it only lasted for two grabs so I can't really say it was programmed to act that way >.> I want to get crouch-spammed by a CPU Kirby~~! >.>!

Top Bottom