• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Component to HD adapters

oscat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
drlnklngmars
3DS FC
0318-9801-6641
Anyone have any experience with these things. What are the pros and cons of each of these converters. They cost about the same.

Sewell Wii to HDMI Converter, 480p

and...

C&E Component RGB YPbPr to HDMI converter v1.3 HDCP HDTV

I know CRTs are the way to go when it comes the smash bros, but if I were to ever want to play on a monitor that doesn't have component, I'd like to know whats better in terms of in-put lag, picture quality, and all that good stuff.

What do you guys think of these? Are there other converters I should know about as well? Thanks.

Last edited:

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
You have the names swapped. The Component to HDMI converter is bad because it tends to have output-blanking issues at random intervals. The Sewell Wii to HDMI converter is the best option in terms of both performance (low input delay) and price. It's unfortunately unable to properly swap between 480i and 480p signal when your Wii goes back and forth, but that's solved by just disconnecting and reconnecting the converter or HDMI cable.

Keep in mind that despite using the Sewell, you still need a proper gaming monitor. Use this site as reference:
http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/
For quick examples, EVO series uses Asus VH236H and MLG uses BenQ RL2455HM.

Last edited:

oscat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
drlnklngmars
3DS FC
0318-9801-6641
You have the names swapped. The Component to HDMI converter is bad because it tends to have output-blanking issues at random intervals. The Sewell Wii to HDMI converter is the best option in terms of both performance (low input delay) and price. It's unfortunately unable to properly swap between 480i and 480p signal when your Wii goes back and forth, but that's solved by just disconnecting and reconnecting the converter or HDMI cable.
Oops, I just fixed it. Thanks for the quick reply. So with the Sewell I'd have to unplug and re-plug every time I load smash? Or just when I go back to the wii menu?

Last edited:

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Every time the Wii switches between 480i and 480p. This happens when you load Melee for the first time (it starts in 480i mode when it asks if you want to play in progressive, then switches to 480p on yes), in BootMii screens (BootMii runs at 480i) going into anything else (if you configured it properly, Homebrew Channel and Wii Menu both run at 480p)... you get the idea.

Going from Homebrew or Wii Menu into Brawl or Project M will not have this problem because Brawl and all mods run at whatever resolution you have your Wii set to. That said, make sure your Wii's Screen Resolution settings are on EDTV (480p) in the system settings.

Last edited:

oscat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
drlnklngmars
3DS FC
0318-9801-6641
Every time the Wii switches between 480i and 480p. This happens when you load Melee for the first time (it starts in 480i mode when it asks if you want to play in progressive, then switches to 480p on yes), in BootMii screens (BootMii runs at 480i) going into anything else (if you configured it properly, Homebrew Channel and Wii Menu both run at 480p)... you get the idea.

Going from Homebrew or Wii Menu into Brawl or Project M will not have this problem because Brawl and all mods run at whatever resolution you have your Wii set to. That said, make sure your Wii's Screen Resolution settings are on EDTV (480p) in the system settings.
Alright, that makes sense. I go on homebrew a lot, so thats good that it runs in 480p. I'll defiantly consider those monitors. Thanks

oscat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
drlnklngmars
3DS FC
0318-9801-6641
One more thing... can I use this with the hdmi on an Elgato HD60? Or any hd capture card for that matter?

Top Bottom