• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Complimentary characters.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
First off, let's look at some of Ike's worst matchups.

Luigi
Sheik
Lucario
Mario
Fox

Luigi can overwhelm you with fireball setups, damage building, Bair, and kill combo at 100% and onward.
Sheik has the Fairs to shut down your aerial game and Needles to gimp you with.
Lucario can quickly match knockback with your own when his aura gets high, and he's much faster. His range is also no joke.
Mario has incredibly fast attacks, as well as FLUDD and Cape to gimp you with,
Fox can punish you from halfway across the screen and shut you down with priority.

All of the characters listed above have very fast attack recovery. They are incredibly hard to punish, which they use to their advantage to do free Smashes.

What we've established is that Ike is simply not perfect. He's not the most viable character in tournaments. You will come across roadblocks where you will be forced to switch out. I can count several recent times where I would have lost a set if I didn't let go of my pride and switch Ike out. Even with over 3,000 overall matches set on my game using Ike, and with as much matchup experience as I have, he will be beaten. These matchups range from 6-4 to 7-3. That said, what do you do then? You find the right character to switch to. And depending on your playstyle, that may vary, but I will start with the ones I use.

Take Link, for example.

What he has in common with Ike:

Blade User - Both have disjointed hitboxes, allowing "freebies" if you attack at max-range and the enemy blocks. If you attack at the right length, you are safe. You also out-prioritize hand-to-hand techniques using proper spacing.
Pivot FTilt - Both characters have a very powerful, ranged FTilt at their disposal. You can use this as a turn-around technique when someone is recovering on the ledge or chasing you with rolls.
Durable - Both survive hits well past 150%.
Nair combos - Both can start combos off of Nair

What he has different from Ike:

Less hitlag - Link can recover from many of his attacks much quicker, leaving him less time to be punished. FTilt is a good example, once again. The attack is also faster, making it a more reliable kill choice.
Projectiles - Link's options include attacking at range and keeping the enemy at bay.
Damage Gain - Thanks to projectiles, he can rack up damage 0-40% in a matter of seconds. Ike has trouble gaining damage quickly, yet has no problem being racked up in damage.
Nair and aerial defense - It becomes habit for an Ike player to airdodge since his aerials are too slow to tell someone to "get off of you" when they start an aerial string. Nair is a great aerial defense tool. It has reach, can start combos into jab, is incredibly safe, AND you can use it to gimp players without worrying too much for your own safety.
Bomb Jump - Link can pluck a Bomb and use the explosion's leverage as a last resort to recover. This is also good to survive KO hits.
Bomb - In addition, the moment your enemy revives from KO, pluck a bomb and roll or shield. If they grab you, they risk being exploded on.

Now, Link doesn't have the same killing opportunities as Ike does (Bair, Fair), nor does he have a safe grab (granted, Ike's grab has terrible reach anyway), or the kill power. Yes, Link's FTilt CAN kill a Rosalina off the ledge at 80%, but overall, many players can survive his strongest hits till 130%, when UTilt becomes an option.

I feel that, against many characters, your campiness becomes your best weapon. Play defense as best as you can, and then you can use what you know as Ike to beat the living daylights out of someone. Pivot FTilt, spaced bladeplay, DTilt, and Uair are still your friends. So you see what the two characters have in common and how similar the playstyles are. This makes transitioning easy because it won't take as long to figure out the playstyle compared to many others in the game. You still have the strength of several kill moves, like FTilt, dash attack, and Uair, the durability close to Ike, and none of the recovery lag. So if you're in a stuck situation and lose Round 1 to an opponent using the aforementioned characters, Link becomes an option.

However, while a strong character, Link isn't your only option here. Fox and Mario have reflecting abilities that can take your projectile game down. There are other characters to consider, whom I will post about in due time. Hopefully, you can make proper use of a secondary if you have a tournament coming up and feel the need to rely on other options.

Last edited:

SoundChow

Smash Apprentice
Link is a really great character to compliment Ike because their playstyles are pretty similar. Something I think you forgot to mention is his zair. His zair is incredible, it autocancels from a shorthop, has two hitboxes, a large reach, and can z-drop bombs. In terms of how a character feels and plays, Falco is pretty similar to Ike. They have strong bairs, combos off of d-tilt, a fast jab, and both play slow and patiently. His character matchup is good/even against projectile spammers like Tink and Megaman, and he's also about even against Mario and Fox if you struggle with those characters.

Last edited:

Trueblade

Smash Cadet
NNID
TruestBlade
3DS FC
0061-0303-4576
I haven't got any data to back it up, but I feel like Pit could be a good secondary for Ike given what a well rounded character he is.

Xuan Wu

Valor Ablaze
NNID
Xuanwu_2014
I use Bowser and Charizard as secondaries. Both are similar to Ike in their own ways, moreso the latter, in my opinion.

Bowser:

- Auto-cancellable F-air and B-air
- Pivot F-tilt
- RAR B-air
- Heavy

Charizard:

- Auto-cancellable N-air and F-air
- B-throw can combo into F-air
- D-throw is a kill throw
- Two recovery options
- Super armor frames
- Heavy

Using either of the two characters will allow you access to a projectile, something Ike lacks. Bowser's has a windbox and only causes flinching up close, whereas Charizard's causes flinching with its entire hitbox. Both can be potent edge-guarding tools for disrupting certain characters' recoveries. Ike also lacks OoS special attacks. Whirling Fortress and Fly are especially powerful when used out of shield, though the latter can be risky.

Basically, by switching to either of the two characters, you would gain a zoning game via a projectile along with a powerful OoS option at the expense of some range while maintaining heavy weight and high damage output.

^-^

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Bowser is a great choice. I wanted to do him next.

Ways Bowser is similar to Ike:

-Heavyweights
-Kill power
-Reach. Bowser doesn't have a disjoint, but his FTilt and USmash can beat out several of Ike's moves, which indicates their reach is good
-Fair

Ways Bowser is different from Ike:

-No disjoint, so you spend more time close to the enemy.
-More powerful and reliable kill options. FSmash kills faster, Bowser Bomb breaks shields, Side B
-His Side B is his single most useful special because it's a grab that busts shields and kills most of the cast at 105%.
-Up B keeps people from getting behind him and punishes rolls.

Against someone like Ike, Bowser actually has a disadvantage. He's fighting someone with similar strength, but with overall more reach to keep him at bay. He's not fast enough to close the distance quickly, the matchup goes from 50-50 to 55-45. However, against Ike's more powerful rivals, like Olimar, Bowser can wreck them as he lacks the recoil that Ike suffers from. Being heavier, you have more leg room. Unfortunately, being heavier also makes him more susceptible to high-damage combos from the likes of Pikachu and Fox.

Bowser is great against people who constantly stay in their shield because you can grab them with Side B. Much like Ike, his Fair is one of his most useful approach and defense tools. Bair is a solid kill move, but only when it connects - it has much shorter reach than Ike's. Unfortunately, Bowser is also fairly gimpable, if not moreso than Ike. He is forced to use Side B to reverse his direction (while flying away) in order to clip the ledge with Whirling Fortress. Any space in that is an opportunity to gimp him.

You want to avoid characters like Pikachu, who combo effectively, but go after characters like Olimar. Ike's biggest weakness is his recoil, which Olimars love to exploit by staying in their shield and responding with DSmash and grab. Fire Breath takes out the Pikmin, Up B keeps them (and Olimar) off of you, and Side B busts his turtling defense and kills him very early.

PyroTakun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ta-kun
My secondary is Sanic cus he goes fast.

There's no real reason why I chose him as a secondary other that I just pick characters I like, although I do think that Sonic helps out with some of the MUs.

Arrei

Smash Lord
Actually, Bowser does have a disjoint - his arms can't be hurt when he punches! Bowser's able to Ftilt a Bob-omb and not get hurt, last I knew. Or was it jab? He just likes to stick his big ol' schnozz a little too far out when he attacks so he does extend his hitbox a little.

The thing I like using Bowser for is punishing moves on block - Whirling Fortress OoS is just absolutely amazing for that. While Bowser doesn't have particularly stellar aerial game, he is also surprisingly good at chasing opponents offstage with Fair since it has so much reach and he's able to recover very easily when not being pressured, he doesn't need to worry too much about overextending unless he's chasing too low.

He doesn't, however, have any combos to speak of, so his damage output is actually rather on the low side, though he has good Fthrow and Bthrow that can also kill at the edges. He really struggles to secure the kill if his opponent is playing defensively, since he's so big he gets hit by everything.

Last edited:

danzibr

Smash Cadet
Ganondorf's somewhat similar. Heavy, slow, strong, some quick attacks (I'm looking at you, bair).

SoundChow

Smash Apprentice
What characters do you guys use when up against Ike's worst matchups, being imo Sheik, Luigi, and Villager? I like to use Falco for Sheik and Villager because he has a balanced move set with a reflector and decently good frame data. I like to use Bowser against Luigi because his armor and jabs negate Luigi's fireballs, he has good OOS options, and he has a great punish game. When playing Ike on anther's ladder, I frequently lose to these characters and need to find a good secondary to beat these characters. Any suggestions?

Naf2pro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Brover1
Learning how to play Shiek can actually help your Ike game, heard this from a really good Ike player

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
What characters do you guys use when up against Ike's worst matchups, being imo Sheik, Luigi, and Villager? I like to use Falco for Sheik and Villager because he has a balanced move set with a reflector and decently good frame data. I like to use Bowser against Luigi because his armor and jabs negate Luigi's fireballs, he has good OOS options, and he has a great punish game. When playing Ike on anther's ladder, I frequently lose to these characters and need to find a good secondary to beat these characters. Any suggestions?
Link because he's a bad matchup for Luigi and can go through his Fireballs using Bombs. I use him against Sheik as well because of the patient camping game and the blade range. FTilt neuters Sheik pretty badly.

Yoh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yoh_Zephyr
Until now, I don´t feel like I really need a secondary for Ike and he can hold his own, still I use Pit sometimes because some matchups feel more comfortable with him, like Toon Link or Olimar.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Until now, I don´t feel like I really need a secondary for Ike and he can hold his own, still I use Pit sometimes because some matchups feel more comfortable with him, like Toon Link or Olimar.
When you fight enough really good Sheik or Luigi players, you'll quickly see why he's crippled against them. I can count several matches where switching characters made a difference in the result, to include rematches against players who beat me 2-0 the time before.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
My secondaries are :

Charizard
Sheik (there's something that actually draws me to her playstyle, similar to Ike somwhat)
Pikachu
Mario/Dr.Mario (interchange between them)
Marth (still in the making)
Bowser

Planning on:
Link
Shulk
Ganondorf
Robin

SoundChow

Smash Apprentice
When you fight enough really good Sheik or Luigi players, you'll quickly see why he's crippled against them. I can count several matches where switching characters made a difference in the result, to include rematches against players who beat me 2-0 the time before.
Rango I don't know if u know this about the Luigi match up, but whenever he recovers to the stage with his side-b, go down and counter him. It can kill him at 50% and happens a lot during this match up because of Luigi's linear recovery.

gByron

Smash Cadet
I say pit. He is a rather easy character to pick up as a secondary. Defensive playstyle feels very similar. He has autocancellable aerials and is even more rewarding in grabs than ike. Reflector isnt that good and aerials lack killpower but strong ground game really helps.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
I agree Link is a good complimentary character for Ike (though I main Link not second him).

Link has plenty of flaws too, just so you know. I will agree that some of the match-ups you posted prove Link to be a little more viable. Luigi's and Mario's do tend to have some trouble with me. But in reality, Link's not that great. The latest patch took away our Jab-cancel, our greatest asset in CQC. Against Shiek, Link is child's play. Link can make for very good mind-games with his projectiles though. However, Link's definitely no A-tier in his current state. I'm not talking down Link by any means. Like I said, Link's my favorite character. I'm just stating facts.

However, like Ike, this doesn't mean it's impossible to win. Skill always trumps numbers on paper. But it's still important to note that those numbers support skill.

Top Bottom