• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Competitive tactics for 4 player freeforall w/items

GrownCannoli

Smash Apprentice
The reason I am making this thread is because of the gamestop tournament to qualify for the 16man tournament in New York. Every round is a 6 minute match 4 player Freeforall with items on. I am playing Pikachu because the tournament is one day after the game releases on the 4th so because of the demo Pika is my guy.

I want all Pika's to win around the country and this is a place to share your Ideas and tactics to give us the best chance to come out on top!

I'll start with the obvious but Assist Trophies, Pokeballs, and Smash Balls are must get Items. Beam Sword is Buffed and is decent to surprise a group of people. I also think Pikachu is a good choice because he can go out far to finish a edge guard and make it back with a safe recovery. With the newly discovered instant Skullbash from Bair you can go very deep and recover safely. Lastly, Thunder is a better move in a 4 player match.

Please share your ideas to win! Hopefully someone here can at least win a spot.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Tilts are your best friends in crowds. Save your Smashes for when you can single people out.

Stage control is fairly important, with or without items. Platforms go hand-in-hand with Pika's multi-hit moves, and obviously projectiles. They're also crucial for avoiding items that rain death, such as Hocotate ships and certain assists/summons (Kyurem and Mother Brain can't touch you if you're directly below them, for example). If nothing else, you can abuse Thunder while others are fighting on top of them.

Lastly use others' weaker recoveries against them. Don't be reckless, but use the hell out of your great recovery.

Muhznit

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to warn you now: With the few rules Gamestop's going to hold at this tournement, Villager will be the BIGGEST problem in every match. Pocket lets him do a lot of things that are the closest thing you can get to cheating without altering the game code. Pocketing heavy items, then throwing them from heights other characters can never reach, resetting bomb timers, pocketing a starman or warp star for on-demand invincibility, claiming any item that's slow to attack... he is pure mayhem in an items match.

If you insist on playing as Pikachu, don't use any item against villager without sending a Full-hop Thundershock between you and him so that he's forced to catch the Thundershock instead of the item you throw at him. In fact, if you can, use Quick Attack to zip across the stage to ensure he doesn't nab any of the items that fall into the category of "Powerful, but telegraphed as hell". If it's an item you don't think you'll live through, NAB IT AT ALL COSTS. Pocket gives him a ridiculous item grab range; things that you can only reach by jumping on a platform he can often claim just by standing underneath and pressing B. There is no offense. You MUST play pure defense against a Villager when items are about.

Arceus help you if you face three villagers. Especially if they start playing Smash Potato with the Tree.

Choice Scarf

Smash Journeyman
Since Pikachu is so small, I feel like most fighters may not prioritize him as the biggest threat, so you should use this to your advantage. Pikachu has always been really good in FFA because he's fast enough to avoid attacks, rush in to steal kills, and get to items first, so take advantage of that. "Don't get hit" is a must in FFAs, and since Pika's hurtboxes are smaller than average it should be easier.

I'd recommend using items like beam swords and baseball bats that increase Pika's range and power, which are his more exploitable weaknesses otherwise. It's also not a problem keeping the item because he can still down smash or Thunder, both of which are good FFA moves since they hit multiple opponents.

Stay on the outside of the fray, and throw anyone who approaches offstage where you can gimp them. You can easily rack up damage from afar with t-jolt or projectile items like the ray gun, and that should force them to approach. Just be cautious of what's going on everywhere, and be opportunistic with item and kill nabbing.

Overtaken

Smash Journeyman
Press "L-R-start-A", turn items off, select fox (only), select final destination.

Works every time :troll:

GrownCannoli

Smash Apprentice
Thanks everyone for the great reply's! I know one of us can win.

Some other quick notes I found out. Don't pick up the lipstick, or the Scope gun they seem pretty bad in this game. The Scope gun is ok but you cant just fire once it fires multiple times and leaves you wide open if you press A quickly.

Also the slow motion item is another item that is must get. If you are under the effects of slow mode Pikachu's Thundershock and Thunder travel at their normal speed. You will still recover slow from using the move but remember this if someone gets one on you and comes your way.

Top Bottom