• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Competitive Spirit PvP going forward

Spiny Top

Smash Cadet
Hi! So just a little about myself for starters, I’m a competitive spirit smasher who creates 1v1 arenas for it titled “PROS ONLY!” calling for glorious smashers, if there are no other 1v1 spirit arenas going on.

I am moderately dissatisfied with how they turned out in Ultimate, and I’ll get into why and what I think could be done to make them more competitive in a future smash game.

So first of all there is a general lack of balance and options among the spirits. Obviously 4 star spirits are the only viable picks to begin with, and even among them some have objectively better stats than others. With support spirits, you have staples like auto heal and super armor while most other stuff is left in the dust or only is used for niche cheese builds like lightweight DK up throws, or situational stuff like double final smash if meters and balls are on.

I would like to see way more balance and depth. For instance, instead of a useless support spirit that lets you spawn with a bob-omb for your first life, have it give players access to a tree of bob-omb related perks such as increased damage and explosive radius, pull one every 30 seconds with down B, bias the item drop towards them, immunity to explosion from them, etc so they can make an entire play style based on bob-ombs

I think this kind of depth with all the spirits would massively help Competitive Spirit PvP. Standardized rules and the like would be great too.

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
Hi! So just a little about myself for starters, I’m a competitive spirit smasher who creates 1v1 arenas for it titled “PROS ONLY!” calling for glorious smashers, if there are no other 1v1 spirit arenas going on.

I am moderately dissatisfied with how they turned out in Ultimate, and I’ll get into why and what I think could be done to make them more competitive in a future smash game.

So first of all there is a general lack of balance and options among the spirits. Obviously 4 star spirits are the only viable picks to begin with, and even among them some have objectively better stats than others. With support spirits, you have staples like auto heal and super armor while most other stuff is left in the dust or only is used for niche cheese builds like lightweight DK up throws, or situational stuff like double final smash if meters and balls are on.

I would like to see way more balance and depth. For instance, instead of a useless support spirit that lets you spawn with a bob-omb for your first life, have it give players access to a tree of bob-omb related perks such as increased damage and explosive radius, pull one every 30 seconds with down B, bias the item drop towards them, immunity to explosion from them, etc so they can make an entire play style based on bob-ombs

I think this kind of depth with all the spirits would massively help Competitive Spirit PvP. Standardized rules and the like would be great too.
Competitive spirits can never truly be balanced. All you need is to pick a spirit with really good defense like the absolutely safe capsule, train it in the dojo to be even tankier, and boom your unkillable.

Spirit skill trees could be cool, but again, they could never be balanced. The meta would revolve around powerful items like poke balls, bob-ombs, and assist trophies. Then, there would no longer be that balance and depth. Its just casuals with stronger items.

Top Bottom