• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Competitive Shulk Help

AlMasterX

Smash Rookie
My friends and I are pretty competitive smash players right? I main shulk and don't struggle too much against any particular character except for LITTLE MAC. Mac punishes for every single mistake you make because he's so fast and shulk has some pretty annoying knockback from attacks. Even with oter characters I struggle against a competitive Mac. Personally, I think Mac is overpowered. Even if his aerial game and his recovery are garbage, it's made up for with that incredible ground game. And considering most competitive stages are small and flat, that makes it even better for him. Help please?

SISSIL

Smash Rookie
My friends and I are pretty competitive smash players right? I main shulk and don't struggle too much against any particular character except for LITTLE MAC. Mac punishes for every single mistake you make because he's so fast and shulk has some pretty annoying knockback from attacks. Even with oter characters I struggle against a competitive Mac. Personally, I think Mac is overpowered. Even if his aerial game and his recovery are garbage, it's made up for with that incredible ground game. And considering most competitive stages are small and flat, that makes it even better for him. Help please?
Shulk is not supposed to be a hyper offensive character like Little Mac. He is more of a defensive character, hence the lag on his attacks. However, he makes up for these shortcomings with his incredible range as well as the infamous Monado Arts which allow him to morph to the situation present. But when it comes to Little Mac, the best option is actually not to use any Arts at all. As you said he is very fast and quick to punish, and with the downsides of each Art he will easily exploit this unless you are extremely careful. Even if there is a significant % difference and you want to go in for a KO, he can quickly turn the tides if you aren't careful and end up KOing you. My advice would be to play him more defensively, and wait for them to let up and use that opportunity to hit hard.

Jgod

Smash Cadet
Only art I can recommend is Speed on the ground but you are gambling that your offense doesn't falter. Honestly let him aggress you. His grabs aren't as threatening as his punches.
Omega stages are legit made for him...if he's semi competent its a bull**** match otherwise grab him, throw him, gimp.

Arkamenitas

Smash Rookie
Have you considered using monado smash while at low%? i've not perfected it yet - but its extremely possible to gimp him with hardly any damage on him if you play near the edge and get him off the stage, because of the absurd knockback. of course, you take more knockback too, but if we are talking early game, this isnt going to KO you and makes it harder for him to follow up, so there isnt a *huge* drawback

EDIT: Also, if you monado smash a vision counter on any of his hard hitters when he's remotely high, you've got solid odds of dropping him.

Last edited:
Top Bottom