• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

(Competitive) People like faster paced games. A growing trend?

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I think that there is no correlation.

Example. I hate CoD4. I don't think it's a good multiplayer game. But I love Team Fortress 2 and I consider it one of the best FPSs I've ever played. The reason isn't the speed. I find no real change in either. The difference is that CoD4 has so little health that anything can kill you. It's not necessarily skill when you get an ambush on someone. But in Team Fortress 2, I could be ambushed and still win. It gives me more health and very few things kill in one hit. Not to mention it has a lot more personality then CoD4.

So, this example kind of crushes your. I don't like one becuase of speed but becuase of fun factor. So, you really can't say people like faster games. Not to mention Brawl is ablout to outsell Melee.

That's the way you DO IT!
I see you like TF2. Nothing wrong with that at all. Cod4 isnt the type of game where you can just run out at 3 people and hope to destroy them all, it's more of taking advantage of your suroundings and making good use of your weapons. Plus in reality, when you get ambushed by 3 people, you really shouldn't be able to survive unless you made good use of your surroundings by setting up claymores, throwing a stun gr., etc.
I also know that Brawl is going to outsell Melee, but I guess I should have reworded my message. For the casual gamer and many others, speed doesn't matter. But the hardcore gamers (like the ones with Melee) think that speed is VERY important, and is one of the reasons they are turning away from Brawl. Fast paced games like Unreal Tournament attracted the competitive scene a lot for this reason also.

The Dinkoman

Smash Lord
halo 2 is like melee

exploits and fast req. reflexes/ skill was the huge competitive standard

brawl like halo 3 focus more on the actual game and basics but develop their own advanced tactics. just not things like wavedashing/l cancel and BxR/2x 4x shot
This deserve's to be quoted three times.
Because it won this thread.

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
competitive pokemon is actually slower-paced than non-competitive... by that i don't mean PHYSICALLY slower.... but the average pokemon trainer just uses their most powerful/effective attack move 99% of the time, where truly strategical players set up traps, boost abilities, and focus a lot on the non-offensive moves.

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
I like fun games too.

Speed, like you said, has nothing to do with it for me.

Also, am I the only one who DOESNT like CoD 4?
i hate CoD4 because i hate the name and the premise... and i hate "defending america" :p (in conflict desert storm i just played the british side and it was fun)

also i have a big-weakness for sci-fi, hence: halo.

cj.Shark

Smash Ace
yes people like watching faster games
heres proof. the number 1 competitive e-sport right now is STARCRAFT
and starcraft cant be played slowly oh noo. average players in the competitive scene have around 300 apm(actions per minute) and some people as high as 500 actions per minute. if you watch a fpvod youll get dizzy as they only look at a certain area of the map for a sec until switching somewhere else. so there you go the fact that the #1 spectator e-sport is very very fast shows people like fast games

Bud

Smash Journeyman
fast brawl is awesome, its a little faster than melee and keeps brawls physics. Just faster. DO IT!!!!!!! If you think call of duty 4 is fast, you should try quake 4 or UT3 (comes out in july). They will blow your mind with the speed. But really if you like playing fast then fast brawl is the way to go, its the only way me and my friends play and I strongly suggest if you haven't played a day of fast brawl that you seriously check into it.

Edit- http://youtube.com/watch?v=G3Dl_nn2fW0&feature=related ( thats the top players at a quake 4 championship, and it is on xbox also.) - and me and my crew are making a fast brawl montage over the summer, so prepare for it to become the new hottness.

Dav657

Smash Apprentice
Cod4 is very very unbalanced. How that game is fun to anyone is beyond me. Sorry if thats a little off topic just thought i would share.

Anyways the reason more people like melee than brawl is because it is more "technical" than brawl. And they have been playing it for 7+ years. People don't normally except change with open arms.....

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Cod4 is very very unbalanced. How that game is fun to anyone is beyond me. Sorry if thats a little off topic just thought i would share.

Anyways the reason more people like melee than brawl is because it is more "technical" than brawl. And they have been playing it for 7+ years. People don't normally except change with open arms.....
Sorry, but you obviously know nothing about Halo or Call of Duty if you think that Cod4 has unbalanced weapons compared to Halo's.

danielrofl

Smash Cadet
I have to say that Dav657 does know what he is talking about when it comes to balance issues, in which CoD4, there is a lot of them.
Halo 3 is really magical to behold at a highly competitive level. Seriously 13-15 of June go to www.mlgpro.com and watch some of the matches online. Communication is the absoloute key. Its very fast paced when you have an entire team shooting at an individual person before getting the kill and moving onto the next.
And as Dav657 pointed out, the feeling of out-BRing someone when they got the first shot in is great. Four shots to kill is far better than CoD4's one shot. It doesn't require nearly as much skill and is definitely a balance issue. but one that wont be sorted out due to the popularity of the game. Thats something that really pushed the success of CoD4. Its really easy to play casually. A person who would normally suck at FPSs can pick up a controller and go on a killing spree, maybe because they’re new and plays cautiously, they spots you first and you lose. I remember the first time my 10 year old brother picked up CoD4, he dominated the match simply because he was using the G3 in hardcore to get one shot kills (After a couple of matches, he got cocky, stopped paying attention to where his enemies were and failed miserably.) I mean anyone can do that. Anyone. Thats why its so successful.
It takes a lot more skill to be able to play tactically like in Halo 3. My friends always, ALWAYS whine that I use MLG settings. But hey the AR is overpowered. It doesn't take a lot of skill, and its not nearly as fun to use. So both games have balancing issues. But CoD4 has more.
A game that expects to be played competitively nowadays NEEDS to be able to have custom settings, much like Halo 3 does. Its just something developers need to pick up on in my opinion.

On an entirely different note, TF2 is an amazing game. Its one of those game I pick up and play all the time. Its a shame none of my friends have the game, and also its disappointing that there is no 'Party' system that are in games such as CoD4 and Halo3. Really its an amazing game. I play it on the 360 but recently i've been thinking about picking it up for PC.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I play all halo's competitively. At least in halo i have a chance at winning a BR fight. Cod4 is First person to shoot the M16=win.
Terrible example. Let's see how much of a chance your BR would stand up to a rocket launcher or a ghost. Almost any weapon could stand up to an M16 other than a shotgun or sniper. I wish I could play you to see how "competitive" you really are, but my Xbox Live account is out of money.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I have to say that Dav657 does know what he is talking about when it comes to balance issues, in which CoD4, there is a lot of them.
Halo 3 is really magical to behold at a highly competitive level. Seriously 13-15 of June go to www.mlgpro.com and watch some of the matches online. Communication is the absoloute key. Its very fast paced when you have an entire team shooting at an individual person before getting the kill and moving onto the next.
And as Dav657 pointed out, the feeling of out-BRing someone when they got the first shot in is great. Four shots to kill is far better than CoD4's one shot. It doesn't require nearly as much skill and is definitely a balance issue. but one that wont be sorted out due to the popularity of the game. Thats something that really pushed the success of CoD4. Its really easy to play casually. A person who would normally suck at FPSs can pick up a controller and go on a killing spree, maybe because they’re new and plays cautiously, they spots you first and you lose. I remember the first time my 10 year old brother picked up CoD4, he dominated the match simply because he was using the G3 in hardcore to get one shot kills (After a couple of matches, he got cocky, stopped paying attention to where his enemies were and failed miserably.) I mean anyone can do that. Anyone. Thats why its so successful.
It takes a lot more skill to be able to play tactically like in Halo 3. My friends always, ALWAYS whine that I use MLG settings. But hey the AR is overpowered. It doesn't take a lot of skill, and its not nearly as fun to use. So both games have balancing issues. But CoD4 has more.
A game that expects to be played competitively nowadays NEEDS to be able to have custom settings, much like Halo 3 does. Its just something developers need to pick up on in my opinion.
And why do you think that people play with MLG settings? Because there are too many unbalanced weapons out there that are too far unbalanced such as the rocket launcher. The argument that cod4 doesn't take a lot of skill is wayyy off. Dominate with a sniper like this guy does then you can make that argument. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7A7zsUaJqE

EDIT: Oh and there are plenty of moments where he gets shot at first and he still gets the kill, so the "first shot gets the first kill" opinion is out of question.

Dav657

Smash Apprentice
Terrible example. Let's see how much of a chance your BR would stand up to a rocket launcher or a ghost. Almost any weapon could stand up to an M16 other than a shotgun or sniper. I wish I could play you to see how "competitive" you really are, but my Xbox Live account is out of money.
Why the hell is there a ghost in mlg settings!?!?! And i was talking about 1v1 BR fights. I rarely play halo anymore.2-3 times a week.Its all about geometry wars for me!! If you ever get your account back i would be glad to play a couple games with you!:)

EDIT: Sorry if you thought i was saying Cod4 takes no skill. It just takes very little in comparison to halo 3. Kind of like Melee to Brawl

lavamage

Smash Ace
Wisconsin...yay that place no one has ever heard o
Personally I like it when I own people, like large gaps between "decent" players and not so decent ones, I am not nearly pro or any good at all, but I like it when I can beat people by a lot, so in general, I prefer faster games for faster ownage. That sounds weird, or like I am saying that I am awesome or anything, but Brawl is too slow for my personal taste.

In gerneral, I like faster games...but I suck so my opinion does not matter at all in this conversation.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Why the hell is there a ghost in mlg settings!?!?! And i was talking about 1v1 BR fights. I rarely play halo anymore.2-3 times a week.Its all about geometry wars for me!! If you ever get your account back i would be glad to play a couple games with you!:)

EDIT: Sorry if you thought i was saying Cod4 takes no skill. It just takes very little in comparison to halo 3. Kind of like Melee to Brawl
Oh I was just talking about regular team slayer... :dizzy:
But yea I will pay for the Xbox Live membership soon for sure...

danielrofl

Smash Cadet
And why do you think that people play with MLG settings? Because there are too many unbalanced weapons out there that are too far unbalanced such as the rocket launcher. The argument that cod4 doesn't take a lot of skill is wayyy off. Dominate with a sniper like this guy does then you can make that argument. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7A7zsUaJqE

EDIT: Oh and there are plenty of moments where he gets shot at first and he still gets the kill, so the "first shot gets the first kill" opinion is out of question.
This isn't really related, but I just thought I'd point out that the rocket launcher is neither overpowered or underpowered. First off its only four rockets per spawn, and it only spawns every 3 minutes under MLG settings. It is a power weapon afterall, and although it does help dominate a game, that itself introduces more teamwork and strategic element to the game than others do. Heck in CoD4 you can spawn with the most powerful weapon without going through the effort of picking it up every time it spawns. So yes the rocket launcher requires zero skill to use and it is a one shot kill, but it is controlled and thus not unbalanced. Thats where CoD4 goes wrong, in which everyone can spawn with oneshot kill weapons.
Also I didn't mean to convey that CoD4 requires NO skill, obviously any game requires skill to excell, but I meant simply that it doesn't require as much to dominate the game at a more casual level, and thus it appeals to more gamers.
Overall I'd stick to what I said, it takes more skill to play tactically in Halo 3 than running solo with an M40 in CoD4. That guy pulled of some amazing shots, but getting kills doesn't always make you skillfull. Using tactics, teamwork and strategy are infinitely more useful :D

Top Bottom