• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Competitive advantage of a turbo button

Mechageo

Smash Ace
I've read a lot of talk about how the turbo features on controllers are banned at major tournaments and the controllers are only accepted if they have a turbo light.

I tried playing Smash with various buttons having turbo enabled and I wasn't able to do anything better than I normally am.

What are some of the competitive advantages turbo gives, specifically within Smash Bros for Wii U?

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
The main advantage is in breaking grabs, escaping grounded or frozen states, and situations like that. Turbo lets you mash out at inhuman speeds and makes getting hit by that stuff way less punishing. Turbo would also be handy for "mash" recoveries like Luigi and Dr. Mario down specials that rquire some pretty vigorous mashing to max out the rate. Lastly, turbo helps with SDI; if you can turbo a stick direction, you have a notably enhanced ability to escape multi-hit moves. Now, you'd need to be able to toggle turbo on and off really quickly (or have buttons that are just always turbo and are extra inputs), but it would offer a few advantages. None of those advantages are really fair for only some players to have so it just makes sense to ban it (as well as to ban things like button macros that would let you do frame perfect sequences every time).

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
They should probably cap out the rapid imputs to prevent this and CPU cheating.

Although you're probably at enough of a disadvantage with the cheap third party controllers anyway.

Kodachi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GhOsT-KoDa
turbos lead to macros and next thing you know we have 1 button ATs like wavebouncing and the like. I come from a game where a free animation cancel was discovered and people using macros can just completely desynch out of any sort of stun. Ruins the game in my opinion and I would never support any tournament that allowed modified controllers such as this.

Top Bottom