• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Competing with Project M

Princess Rescuer

Smash Apprentice
So here's the concept: a Super Smash Bros. game that takes content from all previous games and puts it all together. This is the premise behind Project M, a popular mod of SSBB, made by people who were disappointed by the original game and felt it needed to be faster. This seems to be the inspiration for SSBU. SSBU, to anyone familiar with Project M, seems almost like catching up to Project M (and it doesn't even include some stages). SSBU does have the few advantages of being on the Switch, having current hardware and graphics, and having Nintendo's name and huge marketing budget for exposure. Project M has Wii hardware (or I think it's Wii U now), has no handheld ability, and only has word of mouth, plus it's not as easy as putting the cartridge in or downloading it. Even still, Nintendo seems spooked by mods enough for it to influence them. I don't understand why- they're Japan's biggest game company. Here are some things Nintendo can do- other than litigation- to compete with Project M:

Make the online better- if there's anything Project M has over SSBU, it's that the online is good. Better than Nintendo online has ever been really. SSBU's online, though, is deliberately bad, and it's paid online. It's bad because Nintendo won't give up the control to make the jump to better servers. The Switch Online Retro games are the only reason to subscribe to the online IMO, and even that's running out for many people. Many will just stop subscribing if N64 games aren't next (I've heard GBA will be next). Making the online better isn't hard, especially with all that online money, and just requires Nintendo to give up a bit of control.

Bring Back For Glory Mode- For Glory Mode had instant matches rather than the long wait lines this game has. You could even have Battlefield esque stages in it this time.

Separate Lives- That's a feature that hasn't been modded in yet. All other Smash games would be history with this feature.

Finish Putting in Stages from Previous Games- Project M has the Metal Cavern. SSBU doesn't. Fix that.

Fix the input lag- SSBU doesn't just have input lag, it has LAYERS of input lag. MORE input lag than previous games. It's like they WANT to make this one worse.

Fix the Character Select Menus- I want to keep the character I previously chose, just like previous games. I don't want to have to move the circle to the character, then move to the color I want every single time. This has bothered me since the first D7 and it still bothers me 22 months later.

That's all I can think of for now. Nintendo seems to think money on lawyers will solve all their competition problems. When really, making the game people want will make people not want to put effort into unpaid labor to make the game they want that Nintendo won't. It's that simple.

Princess Rescuer

Smash Apprentice
You asked for it. Also the least laggy controller is an unofficial one apparently. This problem may not look big, but it can even change the tier list as heavy slow characters have an advantage now.

Top Bottom