• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Competative Fighters And Successful Life Skils, any relation?

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
So, in another thread, a point was made about the relation of the drive to be top at fighters and the drive to succeed in life. Are these two at all related? I mean, I can look at some players from the SF community (I'm using SF because it is the oldest so here we will see people in their latter age and judge their life success) and we see people like Seth Killian, who had become a professor of Philosophy, though he dropped it when given the opportunity to work at Street Fighter, essentially getting payed to do what he was already doing for the community. Now, unfortunately Seth lacked the technical skill of the tops, but he still attained a very deep understanding of the game through countless hours of practice and study. Serlin is both a successful writer and developer, and there are many, many other stories of success. Video gamers are often portrayed as having no life and wasting their time, but there are some that come very successful, and I can't help but wonder if the drive to be top is at all equal to the drive to succeeded in life. Does anyone else have any insight from what they see from the communities?

GA Peach

Smash Lord
So, in another thread, a point was made about the relation of the drive to be top at fighters and the drive to succeed in life. Are these two at all related? I mean, I can look at some players from the SF community (I'm using SF because it is the oldest so here we will see people in their latter age and judge their life success) and we see people like Seth Killian, who had become a professor of Philosophy, though he dropped it when given the opportunity to work at Street Fighter, essentially getting payed to do what he was already doing for the community. Now, unfortunately Seth lacked the technical skill of the tops, but he still attained a very deep understanding of the game through countless hours of practice and study. Serlin is both a successful writer and developer, and there are many, many other stories of success. Video gamers are often portrayed as having no life and wasting their time, but there are some that come very successful, and I can't help but wonder if the drive to be top is at all equal to the drive to succeeded in life. Does anyone else have any insight from what they see from the communities?
it just has to do with what people are passionate about. Serlin and Killian are both passionate about video games, so they found ways to work within the field. if a person can persue something they are passionate about as a career, they will be successful. that's what i was trying to explain to that guy in the other thread, but you saw how that went... :urg:

Laijin

Smash Hero
You can't be successful in the industry if your not passionate about it. Not everyone can be the next John Carmack or John Romero, but they can sure as hell be pretty awesome if they love it.

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
I tend to have somewhat of a different, well, negative mindset. More like, I have extreme passion about this, (ambiguous this, not talking about smash) but I'm not talented enough so I'll never make a difference, etc, that kind of thing.

I do agree with going after what you believe in though. Just... I also believe some people... Won't be good at it. Like me.

PS I'm not very motivated in real life, nor am I in smash. so... those two do match up with me. Though... Honestly, sadly even, I do believe I've probably worked harder at Smash in the past.

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
I tend to have somewhat of a different, well, negative mindset. More like, I have extreme passion about this, (ambiguous this, not talking about smash) but I'm not talented enough so I'll never make a difference, etc, that kind of thing.

I do agree with going after what you believe in though. Just... I also believe some people... Won't be good at it. Like me.

PS I'm not very motivated in real life, nor am I in smash. so... those two do match up with me. Though... Honestly, sadly even, I do believe I've probably worked harder at Smash in the past.
it's not a lack of talent that's holding you back

http://www.bored.com/findquotes/cate_740_Talent.html

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Yeah, TRC, talent doesn't mean much of anything. Bach, though consdiered a musical prodigy, didn't write anything we consider in his classic work until much later in his life, after he had put in all the hard work. Bobby Fischer wasn't some super talent. He was determined. So determined he dropped out of high school just to practice and study chess. Unless you want to be in that thing we can't talk about on smashboards, then you must be 'endowed' with super human 'features' to take on that challenge.

BearsAreScary

Smash Journeyman
i too am committed

henceforth i will drop out of georgia tech and become the greatest smash bros player that ever lived!!!

mmmmaybe

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
xDD We weren't talking about Smash, just thing in general. Can't recommend doing that, not at least till smash becomes a legit way of making a living :p

Top Bottom