• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Compare the two

nii

Smash Rookie
Before I start I would like to make an apparently much needed clarification of my post. This is not a post for people to compare Melee to Brawl in the regards of it's superiority, of vice versa, but merely a post to compare the aspects of the game play, as Scar so clearly put it that make them competitive.

I have played melee for close to a year now, and once I played the original smash bros I liked the game a lot. It was a great game and it was an awesome concept. Once playing melee I was instantly addicted due to it's fast paced fights, character control, and the "new characters". Fast paced intense battles are what most avid melee players consider fun. The ability to do combos that make your opponent practically a rag doll bendable to your will is what made the game so appealing, and takes much skill and timing to pull off. Control of the character you played in melee was something that made the game what it was, and with the techniques/glitch abuse, it made the game even more appealing to serious players. Melee had plenty of downfalls, sure, but it was the game that kept nintendo alive. More copies of melee were sold then gamecubes.(made up statistic)

When Brawl was released I was the first one to get my copy at the GameStop I went to. I had built the game up so much, to myself and to my friends. I anticipated it's release for close to 7 months. I rushed home put it in my newly purchased Wii (bought mainly FOR brawl) and started to play. Instantly I was disappointed. All the aspects that made me fall in love with Melee were gone, and noticing this within 5 minutes of playing the game I just wanted to shut my Wii off and go to bed. I didn't because like many people have said the game is a party game, and I had a few friends over. Now I'm not saying the game isn't fun, after more playing it's plenty of that. What I'm saying is it's not what I was expecting, and I'm sure a lot of people had my hopes that were dashed when the game was released.

For me it's a toss up, Brawl is fun and light hearted with a small dose of competition. While melee is intense, satisfying, and oozes with competitiveness. Each game has great aspects to it, Brawl obviously having more game content put together with online play has more to offer, but mainly to the casual player. Melee with it's fun, and more often than not, if you don't use the techs (wavedashing/l-canceling), epic battles is a game that in my opinion will never die.

Not sure if many of you smashers play Counter-Strike. But Brawl is to Melee, as Source is to 1.6. To a tee. Which is saddens me because both games I put so much stock in to only to be disappointed to how noob friendly they were made.

This has been my personal account of game experience regarding the two games. Now I will leave the thread for people who know more of what they're talking about to shed some light on this. I hope this thread retains a mature tone, with a serious discussion forming on it. Thats the entire reason I made the thread.

Also I hope with all thats in me someone figures out how to use tripping to their advantage. Because that's seriously the most random allbeit frustrating part of brawl. Not the characters ridiculous resistance to gravity or there inability to persue their prey effectively. But the tripping... I mean.. Really? Come on.

My closing statement, Brawl is like one of those old Kay Jewelery commercials, a silhouette, of it's former self, with some pretty jewelery to make it appear prettier.

P.S. Atleast in Brawl Kirby is a lot more useful.

Yours,
Nii

nii

Smash Rookie
Another very curious thing I just found while playing brawl. Why can characters grab the second they hit they ground? Why is there no down time for this. Also, the pivot grab is horrible for people who use gamecube controlers. Everytime I'm running to grab someone it turns me around. Than, when I go to dash to grab someone, I stay stationary. Meaning the response time for the character movement isn't as fast a player can play. Melee had this downfall as well, but not to this proportion.

I will update any findings I have with both games, as I plan on doing a somewhat thorough analysis of the two games. I would greatly appreciate any other smashers who know melee/brawl better to help me in this effort. I would like to find a way to play this game to it full potential.

An idealistic thought I've had, seeing as brawl is a game thats based online, nintendo should release a patch that makes the physics engine more similar to melee leaving only the new ability to air dodge multiple times and using your up b after doing so. Also, I think land dashing should be brought back as it wasn't a glitch and is a incredibly useful technique.

Yours,
Nii

2L84U

Smash Journeyman
I just can't figure out how can someone purposely trip for advantage.
Luigi's FS makes opponents easier to tirp. Is he giving out advantages??

pirkid

Smash Lord
I just can't figure out how can someone purposely trip for advantage.
Luigi's FS makes opponents easier to tirp. Is he giving out advantages??
Tripping can be used for mind games, and a nice, quick, recovery attack or roll. It can be easiyl done using fast dashing maneuvers.

Luigi's FS also puts people to sleep, attachs flowers, air trips, reverses controls, and makes them move through time slower. Definitely NOT an advantage.

Tripping is a situation move.

nii

Smash Rookie
I have found that dashing back and forth quickly is still possible in Brawl, but incredibly hard. Same animation that was in the melee is in brawl, the 2 side sprites and the forward facing sprite. Also I have done it without tripping for a while. I also found in some occasions, so not sure how real it is that if you run in one direction, than change the direction quickly, take 1 step and smash L or R quickly your characters animation for the step is canceled making you slide. But your shield holds..not meaning anything really seeing as you can do any attack right out of your shield. Someone test it more? If it's true, someone else can come up with a name lol. I'm not going to be calling it "niing" rofl.

Yours,
Nii

Umandsf

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Umandsf
3DS FC
3927-0812-7458
Switch FC
SW-0595-8375-5017
As I read more and more about Brawl, I knew this was not going to be the same game as Melee, and I started that game late in the cycle, and with Brawl coming up, I didn't want to spend time becoming very good in Melee to then go to another game. That's why I decided to adopt the Wii Remote and Nunchuk control scheme to force myself to think that Brawl is a new game, not the same game with prettier graphics.

Off the bat, I noticed the differences. I kind of like the floatiness. In Melee, I mained Mario, and I would spend at least half the matches jumping, since I like the ability to move around easily in the air. With this new gravity, I could be able to use that to my advantage...or so I thought. I'm not sure why, but I find myself moving more away from Mario and trying to get good with Lucas. I don't know what it is, but I enjoy playing with him so much. Could this be that believing that this is a different game caused me to pick someone else to main? Maybe, but with all the new features, I feel that this may well be true. Sure, I'll play with Mario as well, but the game becomes more appealing as I am there from Day 1 and am interested in all the nuances and techniques that will come out of it.

Top Bottom