• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Companion Theory (DLC 4 and 5)

NintenEdgyMan

Smash Apprentice
First of all, if anyone has thought of this before me or said it before me, then please let me know. I don't want to steal someone's spotlight.

That being said, Companion theory is an idea I had after observing patterns with newcomer art and themes. The basic idea is that, as a way of making the DLC fighter pass more cohesive, every fighter has a partner or companion.

For example, Joker has Morgana, Hero has Slime, and Banjo, of course, has Kazooie.

Something to note about Banjo is that his idle stance does not have Kazooie from what I've observed. This means Kazooie is more of a companion than a partner like Nana or Luma.

For examples of other newcomers, I've decided to narrow it down to Namco and Capcom characters due to other speculations and my personal speculation of the other companies joining.

Monster Hunter: This character (if you combine the votes for them with Palico) was pretty big during the smash ballot, and is even bigger now with Worlds popularity. Not only that but it was decided in 2016 when Capcom was still trying to bring it harder in the west. An obvious companion is, of course, Palico, which along with Rathalos is basically the series mascot. This is not the only option, however, because you could also include the lesser known Shakalaka's. This is less likely, but worth mentioning.

Phoenix Wright: Phoenix Wright is a decently popular Capcom character with a medium to a large fanbase. They would be included not only because of popularity but to introduce newcomers to a series that has always been just on the verge of becoming extremely popular. The companion would obviously be Maya, considering that she was literally the companion to him in MvC3 and Project X Zone.

Amaterasu: This character has always had a cult following within the community and from what I've seen did well on the smash ballot. Okami has always had a good following, but smash could be the catalyst for it to break through into action game mainstream. The obvious companion would be Issun, a character that is by your side for pretty much the whole game.

Yuri Lowell: This character also has a cult following, and is big in Japan. He is the most popular Tales character, to the point where he was banned from some popularity polls. He also has the Belmont or Hero problem, where he is competing against characters from his own series, making him appear less popular than he is. They would obviously put him in to promote Tales in the west more because so far only Symphonia and Vesperia have really pierced the western wall. His companion would be Repede, his partner and canine monster.

Don Chan: Don't call me crazy yet. This living drum may not have an insane smash following, but his series is one of the most popular rhythm series of all time. The reason you may not know this is because they are only very popular in Japan. He was in the arcade Mario Kart, crossed over with Project Diva and Kirby in the Drum Master games, and is a canon Yokai in Yokai Watch, a big supporter of Nintendo systems. I don't actually know much about the series, but my friend has suggested Donko and/or Don Wada

Let me know your thoughts on this, and tell me any characters you can think of.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Kazooie is very much a partner and companion to Banjo; she helps with nearly all of his moves, basically taking up most of their moveset (Banjo just has to help keep her close to an enemy / direct her), and she definitely shows up in at least one idle animation.

That being said, I'm not sure that matters in regards to this theory, I just wanted to explain that.

I don't think they would choose a roster based on partners - just, y'know, based on fan-popularity and whatever else - though I guess they could put a partner with a character if they wanted to. I suggest Sans & Papyrus.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Chell with Companion Cube incoming. She even fits the colour theory's orange idea at the same time.

I'm not sure on this. Whilst I'd be willing to believe Morgana and Slime's roles as companions, Kazooie is half the character name and takes an integeral role in the moveset unlike Morgana and Slime.

Crash Bandicoot with Aku Aku could technically work for this theory, but I think characters like Maya to Phoenix feel a bit forced. She doesn't really feel like an extension or mascot like character for Phoenix. Her relationship feels more like counting Luigi as Mario's companion...

StormC

Smash Hero
I've seen this theory on other sites and I think it's just a meme.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
This theory doesn't have a lot of weight.

Mona and Slime accompany Joker and Hero respectively because they're silent protagonists and they need someone to taunt for them.

Kazooie is Banjo's partner and is equal parts of their moveset.

But to entertain the idea
Master Chief and Cortana

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Wouldn't call it a reliable theory, but it would be a freaking wonderful coincidence if all the Fighters Pass characters just happened to have companions. Arle Nadja and Carbuncle, Spyro and Sparx, Filia and Samson, Klonoa and Huepow would fit.
I'm alone in my conviction that Arle is one of the DLC fighters, so I definitely see her adding at least one more to the pattern.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Theory based on coincidence. Even if it happens I doubt that was the intention or the theme of the DLC unless Sakurai, miraculously, states otherwise.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
Isaac with Flint!

......of course I know that wouldn’t actually happen. I just had to throw that out there because the Grinch Leak poster had Isaac with the Venus Djinni.

D

Deleted member

I prefer color theory since I can stretch it to my tastes easier.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
I was going to say Arle and Carbuncle, but I was sniped. Carbuncle would be an active helping force in Arle's moveset, making her more dynamic than if she didn't have him around. Crash has Aku Aku, so he's got that covered, too, likely as a gimmick where as long as Crash has Aku Aku around, he can't be hurt, just lose Aku masks until he runs out, or more likely just for taunts. And I was sniped on that, too. Lloyd also has Noishe, but I don't think Noishe would or should be a part of his moveset, so I don't think he counts. Maybe for his third victory pose. Frisk may or may not have Chara. It's a subject of much debate. I believe they do, but Chara would be limited to a Smash Taunt on an Undertale stage where the narration checks their opponents.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I have a theory... looking the pattern, that all fighters are going to wear pants, i call it the pants theory, looking that every single fighter from the pass have pants. (phiranna plant is debatable... but then its outside the pass).

So sorry waddle dee, rayman and dixie fans... nit gonna happen.

Smichu

Smash Rookie
Interestingly Monster Hunter fits both Companion theory and Mii theory

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Leon S Kennedy and Claire Redfield

I did it guys.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
For real though it’s Lloyd and Colette and Crash and Aku Aku.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Team Rocket would fit the Companion Theory. It would be Jessie’s Ekans and James’s Koffing accompanying Meowth.

I really want Meowth. Dammit.

7A4D68C4-9669-4031-90A8-D21E655B0F9D.jpeg

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
God I hope this could be true. I'd love for Amaterasu. If she and Crash were the final two the pass would end so greatly.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Crash with Aku Aku and/or Coco Bandicoot would fit in a way. Coco does give Crash advise during the second game

Pikmin-ism42

Smash Journeyman
...Can we really call Slime Hero's "companion"? Granted, it does appear on the banner art, but it looks like the Slimes only appear during the Hero's taunt, I really don't think that's enough to call them companions. Kind of a stretch innit? Also I'm surprised you designated Morgana as Joker's companion and not Arsène, the character who actually fights alongside Joker.

Regardless, I'm not buying into this theory. So far it seems way likelier to just be coincidence, and I have no clue how restricting themselves to such an oddly specific theme helps anyone.

osby

Smash Obsessed
...Can we really call Slime Hero's "companion"? Granted, it does appear on the banner art, but it looks like the Slimes only appear during the Hero's taunt, I really don't think that's enough to call them companions. Kind of a stretch innit? Also I'm surprised you designated Morgana as Joker's companion and not Arsène, the character who actually fights alongside Joker.
Arsene is not a separate character, he's a part of Joker. Morgana on the other hand, is by Joker's side in all of his taunts and victory animations, I'd definitely call him a companion.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Uh, sorry, do you mean that in the "I am thou, thou art I" sense, or in the sense that he's not really a separate entity from Joker in the same way Pikmin, Luma and Nana are?
First one, Arsene is being literal when he says Joker and him are one and same. Slime and Kazooie also don't have their own HP.

Not that I think companion theory has any merit.

Sebas22

Smash Journeyman
I have a theory... looking the pattern, that all fighters are going to wear pants, i call it the pants theory, looking that every single fighter from the pass have pants. (phiranna plant is debatable... but then its outside the pass).

So sorry waddle dee, rayman and dixie fans... nit gonna happen.
That's a smart theory! But I think you should check this theory. You see, after a lot of time of investigation, I discovered a shocking fact: Every DLC Fighter so far has a mouth! I call it... the Food Hole Theory. Now we can predict in a far easier way who's in and who's out.

(Sorry Bandanna bros, It's not happening)

Top Bottom