• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Community Gannon Mod

Spark31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spark311
3DS FC
4940-5914-5196
So, I've been working on a mod that would buff Gannon in a way that wouldn't break the game, but would make him high tier. However, it would make him a stronger character without making him lose his current play style, simply giving him more tools. I've been wondering what the Gannon community thinks would be a good way to patch the character. I'll leave download links to the current and change logs in the OP.

Download (Current version v1.0): http://gamebanana.com/gamefiles/4534

v1.0
56 - AttackDash (Dash Attack)
(Added line 1)
Added super armor starting on frame 10
(New line 2)
Decreased strong hit KBG to 70 (46 hex)
(New lines 2,4)
All hitboxes are now transcendent
(Added new line 7)
Removes super armor on frame 20

69 - AttackAirF (Fair)
(Line 7)
Autocancel decreased to 42 frames

73 - Catch (Grab)
(Line 1)
Increased grab-box size to 4.3

74 - CatchAttack (Pummel)
(Line 1)
Increased damage to 4

79 - ThrowB (Back throw)
(Line 0)
Increased BKB to 50 (32 hex)

7B - ThrowLw (Down throw)
(Line 0)
Decreased KBG to 40 (28 hex)

245 - SpecialHiThrow (Up special end)
(Line 0)
Decreased angle to 330 (14A hex)
Decreased BKB to 30 (1E hex)
Decreased KBG to 70 (46 hex)

<Character Attributes (fighter_param.bin)>

(Entry 20, name 11)
Dash max speed increased to 1.36

(Entry 20, name 12)
Decreased jump-squat to 5 frames

(Entry 20, name 20)
Air acceleration increased to 0.05

(Entry 20, name 28)
Nair landing lag decreased to 14 frames

v1.0 video:

STILL IN DEVELOPMENT (Open to suggestions in v1.1)

Last edited:

Theosmeo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LastOfTheM
3DS FC
0576-7286-5643
These are great, thanks for taking the time to throw this together.

Only 3 suggestions:

Dash attack Strong KBG decrease. I think the strong hit should have decreased BKB not KBG because that would make it a more reliable low % combo starter. If you're decreasing KBG so it can't be throw around randomly at high %s though I understand, the super armor and priority make it seem a little too strong.

The air acceleration is handy, but an air speed buff us what we really need. Gano doesn't suffer from issues of mid air control. If he could navigate the air easier it'd be a much better time for him.

Dthrow could have a higher angle

Spark31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spark311
3DS FC
4940-5914-5196
These are great, thanks for taking the time to throw this together.

Only 3 suggestions:

Dash attack Strong KBG decrease. I think the strong hit should have decreased BKB not KBG because that would make it a more reliable low % combo starter. If you're decreasing KBG so it can't be throw around randomly at high %s though I understand, the super armor and priority make it seem a little too strong.

The air acceleration is handy, but an air speed buff us what we really need. Gano doesn't suffer from issues of mid air control. If he could navigate the air easier it'd be a much better time for him.

Dthrow could have a higher angle
Dash attack is already a SUUUPER strong combo move with these buffs. I swear it still combos to up air until like 130%. I honestly think increasing air speed AND acceleration would make gannon broken. BTW acceleration is maneuverability. It allows him to space WAY better. Down throw is also still super strong. It can true combo into fair if they don't DI correctly and if they air dodge down throw -> full hop fair it's a frame trap because you can re-grab on landing. It's kinda insane.

Theosmeo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LastOfTheM
3DS FC
0576-7286-5643
Dash attack is already a SUUUPER strong combo move with these buffs. I swear it still combos to up air until like 130%. I honestly think increasing air speed AND acceleration would make gannon broken. BTW acceleration is maneuverability. It allows him to space WAY better. Down throw is also still super strong. It can true combo into fair if they don't DI correctly and if they air dodge down throw -> full hop fair it's a frame trap because you can re-grab on landing. It's kinda insane.
Alrighty then I'll trust yah, but I think ganon's plenty maneuverable in the air as is and given the choice an acceleration vs speed buff I'd go speed all the way.

Oh and the jump squat thing is genius

Spark31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spark311
3DS FC
4940-5914-5196
Alrighty then I'll trust yah, but I think ganon's plenty maneuverable in the air as is and given the choice an acceleration vs speed buff I'd go speed all the way.

Oh and the jump squat thing is genius
Yeah, it makes Gannon work way better in the air.

Caporai

Smash Journeyman
Dunno if it works but some funny request if you can pull it off :) :

Making Special Down jump from Melee and PM available.

If holding B during SideB, Ganondorf does Flame Chain
If holding B during UpB, Ganondorf does Dark Fist

Didier337

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4742-5843-4940
I'm curious if there was a way to make the grounded Wizard's foot to have transcending properties + super armor to combat projectile users and close distance?

Spark31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spark311
3DS FC
4940-5914-5196
I'm curious if there was a way to make the grounded Wizard's foot to have transcending properties + super armor to combat projectile users and close distance?
It's possible, but with the dash attack buff you don't need it

Spark31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spark311
3DS FC
4940-5914-5196
That's true. What about Ganon's B-air? Maybe adjusting it to be able to hit shorter characters.
Was thinking of that, but I still think the character should some disadvantages. Most short characters are light and can usually be killed by throw fair at relatively low percent. It's only fair that have something on Gannon.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Hi there! I see your post and I like what you're doing.

Without changing the character too much, and just fixing him, here are some additional thoughts:

- Flame Choke has super armor one frame before and entire duration upon hit. That's mainly to counteract Rosaluma.
- Dair has less landing lag so he can Autocancel out of a Short Hop.
- Up-B uppercut has a little more knockback.
- Superarmor on the initial non-hitting frames of Wizard's Foot, aerial and grounded.
- Walk speed to .9, Run speed to 1.42 (increased)
- Increase: Range of Grab + Dash Grab by 1.5 units
- Jab speed to Frame 4, for a good GTFO move. (Like Melee's)

Spark31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spark311
3DS FC
4940-5914-5196
Hi there! I see your post and I like what you're doing.

Without changing the character too much, and just fixing him, here are some additional thoughts:

- Flame Choke has super armor one frame before and entire duration upon hit. That's mainly to counteract Rosaluma.
- Dair has less landing lag so he can Autocancel out of a Short Hop.
- Up-B uppercut has a little more knockback.
- Superarmor on the initial non-hitting frames of Wizard's Foot, aerial and grounded.
- Walk speed to .9, Run speed to 1.42 (increased)
- Increase: Range of Grab + Dash Grab by 1.5 units
- Jab speed to Frame 4, for a good GTFO move. (Like Melee's)
Good god some of those changes sound broken

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Good god some of those changes sound broken
On paper, I'd say so too, but the thing is, he's not really that mobile and 90% of his moves are punishable, so many of the changes are pretty good imo.

- Flame Choke is a special move and it still has a lot of endlag. Basically bringing back the Brawl variant.
- Dair - basically the brawl variant. It's not as good though, since if you're spiked on the ground, you can hit immediately.
- Up-B uppercut mainly to just make getting on stage a bit better.
- Slightly safer option for landing in the air, a move that's potent on the ground.
- Makes approaching a little bit easier for walk and run speed. It's just basically Peach speed now.
- 1.5 units of increase range isn't that OP, but 1 unit increase of grab is good too. It just looks awkward, also.
- A slower but more ranged version of Melee Ganon's jab.

Basically, these changes would be good to balance him on par of Marth's standing.

Spark31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spark311
3DS FC
4940-5914-5196
On paper, I'd say so too, but the thing is, he's not really that mobile and 90% of his moves are punishable, so many of the changes are pretty good imo.

- Flame Choke is a special move and it still has a lot of endlag. Basically bringing back the Brawl variant.
- Dair - basically the brawl variant. It's not as good though, since if you're spiked on the ground, you can hit immediately.
- Up-B uppercut mainly to just make getting on stage a bit better.
- Slightly safer option for landing in the air, a move that's potent on the ground.
- Makes approaching a little bit easier for walk and run speed. It's just basically Peach speed now.
- 1.5 units of increase range isn't that OP, but 1 unit increase of grab is good too. It just looks awkward, also.
- A slower but more ranged version of Melee Ganon's jab.

Basically, these changes would be good to balance him on par of Marth's standing.
My modded Gannon can extended dash dance as easily as falcon, so his mobility isn't that bad. I also already buffed grab range slightly and run speed is faster.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
My modded Gannon can extended dash dance as easily as falcon, so his mobility isn't that bad. I also already buffed grab range slightly and run speed is faster.
Ok, then let's wipe off the run speed/walk speed/ and choke range change. I think if that's the case, jab can become 5 Frames.

EDIT: Would it be reasonable to add darkness effect to his throws, and change the Damage Output of Back throw from (5,5) to (0,10)? It makes more sense dealing a single hit. Base knockback of up throw, I feel, should also be lowered, with growth higher.

I'm unsure, but did you add a refresh jump from aerial Wizkick?

Last edited:

Spark31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spark311
3DS FC
4940-5914-5196
Ok, then let's wipe off the run speed/walk speed/ and choke range change. I think if that's the case, jab can become 5 Frames.

EDIT: Would it be reasonable to add darkness effect to his throws, and change the Damage Output of Back throw from (5,5) to (0,10)? It makes more sense dealing a single hit. Base knockback of up throw, I feel, should also be lowered, with growth higher.

Increasing the damage like that would increase the knockback to be almost ness levels of broken if not higher.

I don't know how to add darkness effect or allow a jump after wiz kick. The Wizkick jump thing is probably controlled by the MCS anyways, which we can't mod yet.

I might change up throw though.

Theosmeo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LastOfTheM
3DS FC
0576-7286-5643

Maybe back throw from 5,5 to 3,7 or 2,8 then, but with the knockback increase you added it should be fine

Top Bottom