• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Coming down from the air with Rosalina & Luma?

InfinityZERO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CeroCulpa
3DS FC
0447-5489-0482
Since the pair is so floaty and this can lead to your opponent just waiting for you, what is the best way to come down with Rosalina? This is already assuming that I know about fast falling.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Rosalina...doesn't have a lot of options to protect herself while falling. Dair has excellent range but it's unsafe on shield and easy to misspace and get hit anyway. Her airdodge turns her invisible which can be good for mixing up your exact trajectory. Luma can help too if it's positioned right to serve as a distraction, otherwise it's best to recall it for the extra hitboxes. But none of these are sure things.

InfinityZERO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CeroCulpa
3DS FC
0447-5489-0482
Okay, so there is not much out there for us. I also know about the Lunar Dancing (from the latest guide), but that was require less attacking in the air.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
Okay, so there is not much out there for us. I also know about the Lunar Dancing (from the latest guide), but that was require less attacking in the air.
Dair autocancels a little higher than a full hop's height, for one option. Another being using the iasa frames on air dodge to do an autocanceled aerial, nair being the lowest lag if you miss the autocancel window and probably the safest.. If you suspect uair, ff airdodge into your own uair to return the favor.

InfinityZERO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CeroCulpa
3DS FC
0447-5489-0482
Dair autocancels a little higher than a full hop's height, for one option. Another being using the iasa frames on air dodge to do an autocanceled aerial, nair being the lowest lag if you miss the autocancel window and probably the safest.. If you suspect uair, ff airdodge into your own uair to return the favor.
I'm don't know all the terminology. Iasa frames and ff airdodge?

I have also tried faking people out, but that works on the slow characters or incompetent players.

zoidbergenstein

Smash Rookie
I often move off stage, fast fall and up b back onto the ledge with more success than trying to get back down onto the stage.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
All of what's been said here applies. There really is a lot you can do.

If you wanna be really crafty, Rosalina can actually travel under the stage and pop back out the other side, like Jigglypuff.

InfinityZERO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CeroCulpa
3DS FC
0447-5489-0482
Okay, but what is iasa frames and ff airdodge? Since wavedashing doesn't exist, I assume airdodge to the ground isn't safe.

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
For getting back on stage, here are the tactics I often employ. Keep in mind a lot of these are matchup dependent.

If they have a slow or short range up-smash, or otherwise just aren't paying attention, you can actually hit them with a dair. However, this does not work on Greninja and you will get punished if you try it against him.

Air dodge spam will make her mostly invisible (except for brief flashes) and you can sometimes use that to confuse your opponent. If they misread you then you can land safely. Some might still read you just fine and be right there to punish your landing, so be careful about that.

If they chase you there's still a good chance you can smack them for it and turn it around. RosaLuma has some pretty good aerials and might be able to pull it off. Just be careful doing this against Shiek and Greninja.

If all else fails, you can still try going for a ledge. Rosalina's Up B can help with that. Just watch out for your opponent and try to see what they'll do to stop you from landing, then plan around it.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I'm don't know all the terminology. Iasa frames and ff airdodge?

I have also tried faking people out, but that works on the slow characters or incompetent players.
IASA = Interruptable As Soon As. It means that even though a move's animation may not be finished, it can be interrupted with another move after that point.

FF Airdodge = Fast Fall Airdodge. Simply airdodge while fast falling. Because you're fast falling, you'll cover more distance while invincible from the airdodge.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
Okay, but what is iasa frames and ff airdodge? Since wavedashing doesn't exist, I assume airdodge to the ground isn't safe.
Sorry, I wrote that all sleepy. Just waking up so I'll see if I do any better. Gonna be wall of texty because I'm on my phone so I apologize. IASA = interruptible as soon as. There's a thread about it in the competitive smash subsection but, normally you have like 20 something frames of lag if you land with an airdodge in smash 4, but you can cancel the landing lag entirely or change it to be as long as any of your aerials. So the IASA part of this is the window of time you have to perform an aerial after your airdodge before you hit the ground to either cancel the lag entirely by perfectly timing an autocanceled aerial on landing, which would cause luma to attack and you'd land doing no animation and no lag, or just perform a nair as soon as you can after you airdodge to get the nair landing time as opposed to the airdodge lag, I think nair is like 14 frames? Airdodge is like 24. For visual example: Go into training mode, put it on 1/2 time, do a short hop, right before you hit the apex of your short hop do an air dodge and just start spamming the A button, you'll likely see luma attack by the time you hit the ground and you'll be mostly invincible on your way down and land without lag. Fair/bair is easier to autocancel, however, but nair has less landing lag if you mess the timing up. And finally, FF airdodge, just fast fall and then airdodge when they jump at ya, just mix it up, remember good players are looking for patterns.

ooglefart

Smash Rookie
just use her air attack cancels. Usually the enemy will go for you since it looks like you messed up and are free to hit, then BAM luma smacks them and you follow up with some good old fashioned poonannering.

Augi Jr.

Smash Cadet
Everything that was previously said in this thread.

I would also add that if you are unable to outmaneuver your opponent by the time you reach the ground (meaning they're waiting for you just before you reach it) and you're going to clash with them no matter what,

ALWAYS come in at an angle and try to make sure Luma is in front of you to soak-up damage/protect you from any hit that may occur while you're appropriately spacing a Dair/Fair against them to counter; this can usually get you safely back on the ground.

Shanoa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davin134
3DS FC
2809-8856-1709
Obviously you can D-Air them which is a pretty good option if you outrange them because they will have to approach from the side (Which isn't a problem with Luma's D-Air coverage in front of you), or shield you (Hit their shield with a B-Air from behind instead, it will be harder for them to punish. Or go for an autocancelled grab to punish them more).

Other options include, the aforementioned B-Air from behind (Safe option for when you have a read on your opponent), N-Air, FF Airdodge, bait an attack and then double jump, Luma Shot (For when you are more horizontal to your foe), Star Bits (If you can pull this off, you can land safely), and even Launch Star to mix things up and take advantage of being able to aim this long ranged recovery to safety like a ledge, platform or open space.

Be careful, juggles are really dangerous for Rosalina because you are lightweight with predictable aerials that don't provide the greatest coverage. You must have a good read on your opponent so you don't get destroyed from something like this. Keep mixing things up a bit and try not to be predictable and you will have less trouble with jugglers in the future.

iiGGYxD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iiGGYxD
3DS FC
0447-7543-7353
This i feel is one of rosalina's greatest weaknesses. being juggled / trying to return to the ground from the air. If you have luma with you and the opponent is behind you, you can fake them out by ff with nair you will need to be around a full hop height off the ground. By the time you land you will have the back hit of luma come out. they will either have to respect it, or get hit which will send them into you for a follow up.

Top Bottom