• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Comic books: From DC to Marvel to everything in between

SpiderJerusalem

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NewBabel
3DS FC
4124-5499-0990
What comic books do you guys like?

My favorites include Watchmen, Civil War, Surrogates, Batman: Year One, and Transmetropolitan (which is where my gamertag comes from, Spider Jerusalem is the main character)

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
Hooray, a comic thread.

I'm currently loving Black Science, some great pulp science that's a hell of a ride.

Some of my other favorite series are Watchmen, Grant Morrison's run on Doom Patrol, and The Sandman.

ManicRaider

Smash Cadet
I'm currently reading Civil War to see what the hype was about. So far it hasn't disappointed.

SpiderJerusalem

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NewBabel
3DS FC
4124-5499-0990
Hooray, a comic thread.

I'm currently loving Black Science, some great pulp science that's a hell of a ride.

Some of my other favorite series are Watchmen, Grant Morrison's run on Doom Patrol, and The Sandman.
Good choices on the favorite. I've heard of Black Science, I saw it on the shelf at my local comic store. Might have to get into it
I'm currently reading Civil War to see what the hype was about. So far it hasn't disappointed.
It's honestly one of the best Marvel arcs ever

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
I've been going through a lot of stuff on the Walking Dead comics whenever I've gotten time. I'm so anxious about what the next issue is going to bring.

SpiderJerusalem

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NewBabel
3DS FC
4124-5499-0990
I've been going through a lot of stuff on the Walking Dead comics whenever I've gotten time. I'm so anxious about what the next issue is going to bring.
Did 125 come out? Last I read was 124

Edit: A quick Google search says "yes". WELL I KNOW WHAT I GOTTA DO NOW

Last edited:

Pass

Smash Cadet
I recently picked up Saga, almost everyone's probably read it however, it seems to be popular around here... it's pretty bland though.
Then again, I only just started reading comics so maybe I was just expecting something more.
I will dare to ask though: Any suggestions for a first timer?

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
I've just gotta say the most recent TWD comic that came out today was well...a disappointment to say the least. I expected a LOT more.

SpiderJerusalem

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NewBabel
3DS FC
4124-5499-0990
I've just gotta say the most recent TWD comic that came out today was well...a disappointment to say the least. I expected a LOT more.
Oh shoot I need to read it, that's a bummer considering 125 left with a considerable cliffhanger

Robotic Wind

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Grey Walrus
Here is my current pull list. Its only marvel as I do not have the money to do any other company.

-New Warriors
-Original Sin(Ends in August)
-Original Sin: Iron Man vs. Hulk- Ends in August(I think)
- Legendary Starlord
- Avengers Undercover (Ends in September)

Original sin isn't asgood as I anticipated and its raking a strange turn.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I didn't know this site had a comics thread.

I'm a pretty big Spider-Man fan. Of course, there's other series I like, X-Men, Daredevil, Captain America, Batman, Teen Titans and the Flash. But Spider-Man's was always the most interesting to me. Everything from the origin(which was kind of original in the 60's), his powers, the costumes, his villains, and most importantly, his humor.

I remember watching a lot of the Spider-Man cartoons growing up. And how I would read a lot of my dad's old Spider-Man comics.

And did I mention how sick his costume was.

SPIDER-MAN Mark B.jpg

Robotic Wind

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Grey Walrus
So...who has read the newest event "Original Sin"?

I'll go in depth in my thoughts later but I am kinda mixed on how it played out.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
So...who has read the newest event "Original Sin"?

I'll go in depth in my thoughts later but I am kinda mixed on how it played out.
I didn't read much about it. But I'm not sure I liked what happened to Thor. I know he and Captain America are getting replaced for now, but with Cap him supposedly losing the serum and acting as more of a general as opposed to a solider makes sense. And it could make for an interesting read.

Speaking of replacements, I don't know how I feel about Falcon being the new Cap. It makes sense since the two have been teammates since the 70's. But if they want Falcon to be more popular, I think they have to have stand on his own two feet. Rather than give him the name of a more famous hero. I guess we'll need to see how it plays out.

Robotic Wind

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Grey Walrus
I didn't read much about it. But I'm not sure I liked what happened to Thor. I know he and Captain America are getting replaced for now, but with Cap him supposedly losing the serum and acting as more of a general as opposed to a solider makes sense. And it could make for an interesting read.

Speaking of replacements, I don't know how I feel about Falcon being the new Cap. It makes sense since the two have been teammates since the 70's. But if they want Falcon to be more popular, I think they have to have stand on his own two feet. Rather than give him the name of a more famous hero. I guess we'll need to see how it plays out.
I like falcon being captain america because Marvel now has their own "captain falcon".

The way Thor lost his powers is fairly pathetic. Nick Fury whispered something in his ear and he became unworthy.

Smallgenie549

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smallgenie549
I've been reading the New 52 Batgirl and Batman series fairly religiously. I'm also a huge fan of Supergirl and The Flash.

2004Zilla

Smash Master
NNID
2004Zilla
I got dis.

IDW's Godzilla series is a mixed bag. Some of their works have been amazing; Godzilla: Half Century War is my favorite Godzilla comic series of all time (James Stokoe does some amazing work), Godzilla: Cataclysm shows a lot of promise, and Godzilla: Rulers of Earth really shows that the writers are listening to fan feedback. On the other hand, Kingdom of Monsters was severely disappointing due to mediocre art and a wacky plot, Gangsters and Goliaths was okay but had very little focus on Godzilla, Godzilla: Legends is hard to review; issues 1, 3, and 4 were good (1 for the art, 3 for the plot, 4 mostly for the art), but issues 2 & 5 were sub-par (5 struggled with the art while 2 was just awful), and Godzilla recieved mostly positive reception but the art style didn't really work for me.

Overall, while IDW has some misses with their Godzilla series, it's not as bad as their Jurassic Park titles (ugh, talk about underwhelming).

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I got dis.

IDW's Godzilla series is a mixed bag. Some of their works have been amazing; Godzilla: Half Century War is my favorite Godzilla comic series of all time (James Stokoe does some amazing work), Godzilla: Cataclysm shows a lot of promise, and Godzilla: Rulers of Earth really shows that the writers are listening to fan feedback. On the other hand, Kingdom of Monsters was severely disappointing due to mediocre art and a wacky plot, Gangsters and Goliaths was okay but had very little focus on Godzilla, Godzilla: Legends is hard to review; issues 1, 3, and 4 were good (1 for the art, 3 for the plot, 4 mostly for the art), but issues 2 & 5 were sub-par (5 struggled with the art while 2 was just awful), and Godzilla recieved mostly positive reception but the art style didn't really work for me.

Overall, while IDW has some misses with their Godzilla series, it's not as bad as their Jurassic Park titles (ugh, talk about underwhelming).
Not sure if you're interested, but have you read some of IDW's Transformers or TMNT comics? I hear alot of people like them. I was kind of thinking I should read up on them too someday. Some of the same writers could've worked on those books too y'know.

Speaking of Transformers, back in the 80's when Marvel owned the comics, there's was an issue where Spider-Man teamed up with them to kick Megatron's ass. It was weird but awesome.

I've also got some Spider-Man and Batman stuff to catch up on.

SilentBob

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SgtFirestarter
3DS FC
1435-4126-3817
Awww yes comic book thread.

In Marvel the only books I read are Guardians of the Galaxy and Nova even though I miss the Richard Rider days. Sometimes Hulk. I've always been a Marvel cosmic fan and not so much of the Earth stuff. In DC, I do enjoy a lot of the Batman novels and these days I'm reading The Flash, Aquaman, Justice League Dark and Constantine.

Though when it comes to comics I enjoy a lot of non superhero stuff. These days I'm reading this book by the creator of Scott Pilgrim.

Last edited:

mimikun

Smash Rookie
I grew up a huge Marvel fan, but wasn't the biggest fan of the Ultimate books (although I did go through Ultimate Spider-Man). But one of my favorite comics recently is the Ultimate Comics Spider-Man with Miles Morales. The awesome art helps, too.

Top Bottom