• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Combos

n00b

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
peasantstat.us
3DS FC
1693-1292-7210
I swear I saw a post of yours calling put people who show up to threads just to post about how ****ty samus is. Correct me if I'm wrong though. :p
Naw, you're right — but I'm just making a joke. It was in the spirit of "let's laugh at our struggles together." Anyway, I think I've shown that I've put in effort to help people playing Samus around here. Moving on…

As for actual combos, Samus IMO doesn't have much combo potential. For me I just rack up damage with well spaced tilts and punishes. The only real consistent combos I get are things like dthrow -> fair, dthrow -> uair, and sometimes dthrow -> uair double jump uair.

Re: comboing into charge shot
Charge shot is fast and large enough to be used as a punish or when the opponent's options become limited, like during their recovery onto the stage. They can either choose to airdodge or up B early or waste their double jump because of the threat of the charge shot and hurt their chances of recovery by missing the ledge, making them land unsafely onto the stage, or to be in prime position to get spiked… or they can eat the charge shot.

Combo changes from Brawl:
Dash attack has too much vertical knockback now to guarantee an up B or follow up at useful percents in my experience, and dair and utilt can be teched upon hit to leave Samus unsafe to follow up (which would lead to at most an up B or better yet, a b-air kill).

Last edited:

GdspdUblkprzdnt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GdspdUblkprzdnt
Naw, you're right — but I'm just making a joke. It was in the spirit of "let's laugh at our struggles together." Anyway, I think I've shown that I've put in effort to help people playing Samus around here. Moving on…

As for actual combos, Samus IMO doesn't have much combo potential. For me I just rack up damage with well spaced tilts and punishes. The only real consistent combos I get are things like dthrow -> fair, dthrow -> uair, and sometimes dthrow -> uair double jump uair.

Re: comboing into charge shot
Charge shot is fast and large enough to be used as a punish or when the opponent's options become limited, like during their recovery onto the stage. They can either choose to airdodge or up B early or waste their double jump because of the threat of the charge shot and hurt their chances of recovery by missing the ledge, making them land unsafely onto the stage, or to be in prime position to get spiked… or they can eat the charge shot.

Combo changes from Brawl:
Dash attack has too much vertical knockback now to guarantee an up B or follow up at useful percents in my experience, and dair and utilt can be teched upon hit to leave Samus unsafe to follow up (which would lead to at most an up B or better yet, a b-air kill).
Haha, yeah, man. I knew what the tone of the comment was, I was just playing along.

So no real actual combos into charge****. Bthrow? FThrow?

Edit: Chargeshot typo left for comedic purposes.

Last edited:

Uffe

Smash Hero
On a heavy character, say someone like Gdorf, you might be able to u-tilt three times > uair > Screw Attack. It's situational, though. Pretty cool if you can land it. Especially cooler if you can get the uair > Screw Attack at higher percent, since the Screw Attack can kill.

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
Up Throw > Up Air > Up B i find im able to do most vs characters for about 28-30% dmg
Down Throw to Fair works on most mid-heavy characters too I've found

Then theres Neutral B > Dash Atk > Up Air, not a true combo but i find it works quite often at realtively high percents

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
D-throw -> F-air

While not a true combo, F-tilt sends the opponent horizontally: if your opponent is forced to hit the ground (whether by teching or missing it), you can follow up with a Charge Shot. It's the only way I've found so far to guarantee that it hits Captain Falcon because of his falling speed.

leiraD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TacoShell
dash/dthrow>uair>fastfall>uair>zair
There's several way's to do this, but it basically entails knocking the opponent updards with dthrow,dtilt, or dash attack. If the player is launched directly upwards, hop into a uair. If they're slightly in front of you, go for fair. At low percentages, you can quickly jump and u-air again, or fast fall and go into another set of uair/fair again. Finally, the opponent will have enough distance and will DI away from you. If they're still within range and you have enough height, you can give them a final few percent and knock-back by hitting them with a zair. At that point, they're typically off the stage and then you can work on keeping them there.

s-hop>zair>charge shot
When you land from a zair, the game auto-cancels the move and it cuts the landing lag and your charge shot comes out very quickly.

I also like seeker missile into a charge shot. The charge shot will go right through the seeker missile and people who use reflectors fall for that a lot.

Good luck!

Beard Hawk

Smash Apprentice
Downthrow or dash are alright at getting low damage foes above you, then, if you're quick, up-air, full hop up-air, and if you're very fast, lucky and in the right place they'll still be in hitstun for a screw attack. Doesn't really lead anywhere that I can think of, but it's do-able. Downthrow into forward air works if you're too slow with the jump to reach with an up air. My problem with Samus for comboing is that most of her moves seem to say "get away from me" so that she can get back to playing the gun game from far away, like how her second jab knocks them back. Up-tilt keeps them close so that might have potential. I seem to remember that up-tilt to forward/down tilt counts on the combo meter, so up-tilt could work as a cheap way of adding a bit of pain to them while keeping them close. I don't know. A lot of Samus' moves have too much knockback for combos, but if we can figure out a few combos it'll surprise players who think Samus can't handle close fighting.

Can anyone think of any ways of setting up back-air? That move is deadly.

Beard Hawk

Smash Apprentice
maybe grab>back throw>s-hop>bair? Not sure if that would work, but give it a shot.
Sadly, Samus turns around after back throw, so it doesn't set up bair.

Here's some bair set ups I've played around with.
  • low %: Downthrow -> run under them -> Up smash -> jump and air chase -> bair
  • high %: Dair while they stand -> catch with Bair
  • high %: Downthrow -> Dair -> when they bounce up (if they fail to tech) Bair.
All of these ideas of mine suck, the Dair ones can be teched out of, the Upsmash one relies upon chasing. We need a solid unescapable bair combo.

n00b

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
peasantstat.us
3DS FC
1693-1292-7210
True, just be sure to visually confirm that your opponent didn't tech the d-air on hit (aerial or grounded) and just autopilot into a highly unsafe up B (especially on For Glory/FD matches).

leiraD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TacoShell
Bomb>grab

I’ve found that this really works best as an alternative to a dash attack if you find that someone is reading you well and your dash attacks are getting shielded. You’d run at your opponent as if you were doing a dash attack, but instead you drop a bomb, di backwards, and grab. This pulls the opponent into the bomb just to deal a little extra percentage. Realistically, it only really adds a few percent over the duration of a game, but its just another tool to have in the toolbelt.

Here's another cool little trick:
Bomb>dtilt

After landing, you can't go into a dtilt without significant lag.... normally. If just before landing, you hold down and press b (this dropping a bomb), release the b button, and upon hitting the ground after bouncing from the bomb-drop, press the a button. This will initiate a dtilt with no landing lag before initiating the move. This has actually been pretty useful for me. Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zaprong

Smash Apprentice
I main Samus hi.

SideB>Dash>Uair>Uair>UpB ALWAYS works, and racks up to 50 damage, alternatively, you can sideair in the fourth step

Also dash attack>Back air>Back air always work but at zero %

Source: I am not allowed to play Samus with my friends anymore

Last edited:

leiraD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TacoShell
I main Samus hi.

SideB>Dash>Uair>Uair>UpB ALWAYS works, and racks up to 50 damage, alternatively, you can sideair in the fourth step

Also dash attack>Back air>Back air always work but at zero %

Source: I am not allowed to play Samus with my friends anymore
Often the second uair and upb will get dodged, particularly at higher percentages when opponents are knocked back further and have more time to respond to incoming attacks.

Pacmaniak

Smash Rookie
NNID
Pacmaniak
3DS FC
3153-5930-5678
If you use the #2 bomb, I think its the slip bomb, down-b>d-tiltd or down-b>grab>down throw>f-air... The second one does like 20 damage and works at low %

Beard Hawk

Smash Apprentice
The whole upair upair upB thing only really works at low %. If you go to training mode and time the jumps right, you can get the combo meter to read it all as one string of attacks. If you initiate the move when you are at a level height with them then the knockback doesn't send them as far out of your reach so you can link them up better. I don't know about vectoring much yet, but it's likely that good vectoring could escape the move. Can you vector during hitstun?
I find that (at low %) downthrow sends them on a similar airpath as dash attack. You can swap them for each other some of the time and do the same combos after. Downthrow is laggier to come out of, you are allowed to move as soon as the grapple beam is back in Samus' arm cannon, so I watch for that.
People who use downB #2, the slip, probably already know this, but I saw it in a video so I thought I'd share it. You can avoid falling over from your own downB by holding shield briefly.

djKun

Smash Rookie
Jab 1 -> lose to higher priority jab
More like do jab jab and get punished for it ಠ_ಠ

dtilt can combo into uair or fair and can possibly combo screw attack at certain percentages.

Comboing from dtilt to whatever can still be iffy too :/

Pacmaniak

Smash Rookie
NNID
Pacmaniak
3DS FC
3153-5930-5678
Ooh and also downb#2 can spike, It can be used to edgeguard, its pretty cool...

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529

A nice little combo/string I found yesterday

Down throw in to Fair, land, immediately jump forward and do an Up Air then jump backwards and hit with a Bair.

I was worried it was a one off but i managed to do it vs a fair few players and characters. It's not always possible, for instance if they jump after getting hit with the Fair, but that's punishable in other ways anyway, and I find they rarely see the Up Air coming.

Oh and FYI he was 16% before the down throw

Last edited:
Top Bottom