• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Combos: True or Situational

cparks1000000

Smash Rookie
So, I've been playing Wario for a while now. I know he has a nice bunch of tricks for different situations but (excluding some combos involving down-throw, down-air, and down tilt) I've yet to find a lot of nice combos which work on a large selection of the cast. Please post any combos with examples of when you used them and when the combo may be effective. Also, I'd like to see anyone's footstool combos.

Last edited:

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
Against people who don't tech, low% only, mid weights only
fh dair>immediate dair>footstool>dair>ff uair>
if you get the sourspot,
fh fair, falling bite>throw mixup into aerials or bite or waft or shoulder
if you get the sweetspot,
depending on fall speed, attempt the uair juggle, using fhfflc uairs onto platforms.
otherwise, fh sour uair to dj air-shoulder or fart

dair into fflc uair (if they're too close to ground) or bite (if not)

low% dtilt to dash jc grab
mid-high% dtilt (launches opponent) to shoulder
low% dthrow to dacus to aerials
high% dthrow to shoulder

low% usmash to usmash on fastfallers, then uair juggle

ledgehop fair to fflc uair.

shff bitethrow into dacus or fart or aerial depending on di

idk why, but against Ganon, it's really easy to wall of fair him into air-shoulder

Nair into nair. nair into everything. everything into nair.

SixSaw

Smash Journeyman
My bread and butter:
Dair -> fflc sourspot uair -> grab at low%
Fflc fair -> grab at low% (the fair can be cc'd though)
Both of those work on a wide range of weights I believe. Knowing easy setups for a grab is pretty important for Wario imo since in some MUs grabs are everything.
Dtilt -> jab 1+2 -> grab works on fast fallers at low%
Late hitbox utilt -> grab can work on some characters too although I haven't experimented with it much

Some other fun strings (that ORLy didn't already mention):
Dair -> double jump bair at kill%, no-brainer horizontal KO setup. Can also replace bair with waft, uair, bite, or anything really
Sourspot uair -> double jump sweetspot uair at kill%
Jab 1+2 -> utilt -> other things works on some characters at low to mid%
dtilt -> ftilt (this can also be decent shield pressure if you space the dtilt well)
dtilt -> jab 1+2 -> ftilt

Last edited:

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
SixSaw, I really like your dair>uair>grab idea. Since this works best at low%, I usually choose dthrow for the combo potential. Currently I just try to dacus the FFers or dash attack the floaties. My question is, do your follow ups on dthrow surpass the damage you gain off this? Before I tried your dair>uair>grab, I used to do: dair>uair>usmash>(usmash again depending on %)>juggle with sour uairs if open air is above me, otherwise, tech chase the platform landing with bite. I gain much more damage off of this method, often 60-70%+ if not outright KO (there's obvs. more aerials in there I left out because they are very DI dependent).

Extensions!
Against floatiers, fflc fair > dtilt > dash jc grab. fastfallers will be able to hit the ground and shield this at lower percents and at higher percents, they go too far away
jabx2 > usmash/uair depending on %. usmash is preferable as it leads to more aerials. utilt is unreliable for me as it's not only slower on startup, but also longer on cooldown. I don't like using utilt in combos, but it's okay for starting combos because of the intangibility on his hands during it.

dropzone nair against every recovery. you will at worst, trade. Except against Ike. You can be stylish and go offstage, so that you are behind ike as he up-Bs, then Shoulder Bash him into the stage. He doesn't have armor any more so this can be surprising to some.
dair the perfectly vertical recoveries. if you miss, double jump waft, up-b. Always do this. Not the recovery part. The dair part. You want that chance of KO. You won't miss that waft. Waft must be at least half-way charged. 30 seconds is nothing.

\Apples

Smash Journeyman
SixSaw & 0RLy, be wary of CC when you go for Dair -> sour Uair. If CC'd, some characters can escape the follow-up even if it's a grab. I recommend this little string on floaties at low %'s, fastfallers after ~35%, and both only if the Dair hits. If it's shielded, abort unless they tend to sit in their shield after they shield your Dairs. I still wouldn't recommend going for a follow up after Dair is shielded though. You want to think of Dair like a vertical Shoulder Bash when shielded. They almost always have advantage and most characters have a simple OOS option that will beat or trade with just about anything Wario can drop on them. When my Dairs are shielded, I often use that moment to just DI well away for a brief moment and re-assess. Now that they have advantage, I step back and react to what they do.

The majority of Wario's combos are extremely DI sensitive, so I don't really have many bread and butter combos. I have a few strings that are my natural go-tos, but that's mostly how I am as a player anyways. I play almost 100% intuition, the rest I correct in baby steps.

A few little "things" I do often though...

Vs spacies on triple platforms, they always DI for the top plat. Usually, they'll shield if you jump up at them... bite. If they don't shield, well, just follow them with your aerial mobility. They're probably going for the other platforms. Usually if I get a spacie up top, I can do a lot with them.

Vs characters with slow OOS options, if they're standing at the ledge and you're coming up, LH instant Fair -> whatever. But if they shield, you poke with a falling Uair (very similar to the Dair -> sour Uair) or just Bite and throw 'em off.

Nair. All the time. Short hop it. All the time. Full hop it. All the time. Double jump with it. Bait with weave/fall with the sourspot -> dash JC grab. (My fav) Edgeguard with it. Vs spacies, Uthrow -> Nair regrab (My #2 fav, get **** on). Nair through shields and get behind and grab. Honestly, there is no move in this game more fun to spam than Nair. It's SO good.

cparks1000000

Smash Rookie
I found a few nice things:

1.) DAir -> USmash
2.) [As a conditioner] [near a ledge] DThrow -> DAir -- Note here that if the opponent is expecting the attack, then you will die. Just watch how the opponent DIs then react. They will be watching for the same attack for the rest of the match most likely then you can use side-B or NAir when they DI away.
3.) DTilt (until far away) -> grab -- Seems kinda common. Many I've played expect it and sidestep.
4.) FThrow -> bite / waft -- Use this after using a lot of DThrow
5.) DAir when partially on the ledge kills sometimes
6.) DTilt -> Jab1 -> [IF LOW %] Jab2 -> grab

I find that BAir sometimes works after DAir has been shielded on some players.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I would highly recommend experimenting with hitting as late as possible on N-Air and F-Air. This can get you nice frame advantage and keeps them closer, opening up more combos and pressure opportunities.

Waltz

Smash Rookie
NNID
ryanwaltzwalter1
Down Smash > Side B (left or right, depends on where they go) > Dash C-Stick right or left (depends on where they go) > Grab > Throw Up > Jump > Up Smash at low percentages OR Up B if on ledges or higher percentage. This should work, it does for me but my friend who I play might just be stupid. Good luck, I'll be using some of what I read here, hope I could be of any assistance.

at the last tournament i was at; the only kill combo i got was when they are standing on stage D-air to the up hit box of fart at like 90-110

Last edited:

cparks1000000

Smash Rookie
I have found some nice things that link from DAir:
1.) fast fallers or below 20% :: DAir again
2.) between 30% and 60% :: USmash
3.) above 60% :: Jump -> bite |OR| Jump -> Nair

For killing:
Bite -> FowardB -> Jump
Bite -> Waft -> UAir |OR| Up-B
DAir -> BAir
At high percent, USmash -> Up-B

I have also found that at low percents, jab1 -> jab2 -> DTilt -> UTilt works well on players without good crouch-cancel game. However, it seems that most characters out crouch-cancel Wario. If the opponent chrouch-cancels jab2, then just prepare for a retaliation.

NAir |OR| FAir -> Grab -> DThrow -> Tech-Chase ForwardB is a nice mix-up also.
Alternatively, try FAir -> Jab1 -> Jab2 -> UTilt [until high up] -> Sour UAir

Wave Dash forward -> Crawling DTilt [until opponent is away] -> Dash-Attack |OR| FAir |OR| Dash-Grab

As an aside, I recommend using NAir a lot at high percent to set-up edge guard opportunities or killing moves while the opponent tries to DI back onto the stage. I typically set the L-Button to jump then use A to perform a rising NAir for a nice edge guard.

Last edited:

cparks1000000

Smash Rookie
Down Smash > Side B (left or right, depends on where they go) > Dash C-Stick right or left (depends on where they go) > Grab > Throw Up > Jump > Up Smash at low percentages OR Up B if on ledges or higher percentage. This should work, it does for me but my friend who I play might just be stupid. Good luck, I'll be using some of what I read here, hope I could be of any assistance.
I would like to add that if the opponent does not tech the DSmash, then one can use FSmash. Also, at high percent, I doubt that Forward-B -> Dash-Attack will be too effective. Additionally, I would not recommend using UThrow at high percent because the hit-stun is too small; it is good for a mix-up though. Also, Jump-Canceled Grab is god-like.

cparks1000000

Smash Rookie
The majority of Wario's combos are extremely DI sensitive, so I don't really have many bread and butter combos. I have a few strings that are my natural go-tos, but that's mostly how I am as a player anyways. I play almost 100% intuition, the rest I correct in baby steps.

A few little "things" I do often though...

Vs spacies on triple platforms, they always DI for the top plat. Usually, they'll shield if you jump up at them... bite. If they don't shield, well, just follow them with your aerial mobility. They're probably going for the other platforms. Usually if I get a spacie up top, I can do a lot with them.

Vs characters with slow OOS options, if they're standing at the ledge and you're coming up, LH instant Fair -> whatever. But if they shield, you poke with a falling Uair (very similar to the Dair -> sour Uair) or just Bite and throw 'em off.

Nair. All the time. Short hop it. All the time. Full hop it. All the time. Double jump with it. Bait with weave/fall with the sourspot -> dash JC grab. (My fav) Edgeguard with it. Vs spacies, Uthrow -> Nair regrab (My #2 fav, get **** on). Nair through shields and get behind and grab. Honestly, there is no move in this game more fun to spam than Nair. It's SO good.
Honestly, this is some of the best advice for a starting Wario player.

Last edited:
Top Bottom