• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Combos and Potenital KO Moves

QuantumNukaCola

Smash Rookie
Well besides the FSmash and high-% Up Special I've been having trouble finding out some nifty KO moves or combos to help me out. I've been having some trouble with Robin so I'm switching to Lucina for a bit, I seem to have better luck there :p Any hlep?

Pebbicle

Smash Cadet
Edge-guarding with Shield Breaker seems to work well for me usually. For some reason or another, people generally seem spooked by the idea of being hit by it, and sometimes even accidentally self destruct when trying to avoid it. Or maybe it's just the charging sound that sounds fairly menacing.

Other than that, forward air usually works well. Up throw too, but the opponent needs to be at 100+% for that to work.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
I've actually gotten a few kills using Shield Breaker as recovery, mostly against people charging smashes for edgeguarding, and leaving themselves completely open to Lucina/Marth sending a fully-charged SB flying at them.

Up throw too, but the opponent needs to be at 100+% for that to work.
Yeah, I was pretty surprised when I discovered that one. I think it was against a Pit, I killed him with u-throw at about 100%.

Einyuri

Smash Cadet
I'd say that you can combo from her down throw into either a fiar, or a couple of u-airs into maybe a fsmash or up-tilt. Though I can only name a few times I've actually gotten that off myself, it feels pretty satisfying to get it off once you do.

Also as everyone else has said. SB is amazing when recovering sometimes since people never expect you to go so far, as well as edge-guarding.

Lichi

This is my war snarl
I kill a lot of opponents with the counter attack. But I'd say the most reliable way of knocking them off is to drive them off the stage by f-airs.

Rizuna

Smash Rookie
Yep, I think forcing them off the stage with f-air is the best way. The opponents I've been against dealt with SB pretty well, so I don't use that as much anymore.

Beast Boy

Smash Rookie
I'd say that you can combo from her down throw into either a fiar, or a couple of u-airs into maybe a fsmash or up-tilt. Though I can only name a few times I've actually gotten that off myself, it feels pretty satisfying to get it off once you do.

Also as everyone else has said. SB is amazing when recovering sometimes since people never expect you to go so far, as well as edge-guarding.

Down throw doesn't combo into fair. it does combo into upair at 0% but you can't really get much else out of it unless your opponent is just bad and constantly holding down towards you.

Einyuri

Smash Cadet
Down throw doesn't combo into fair. it does combo into upair at 0% but you can't really get much else out of it unless your opponent is just bad and constantly holding down towards you.
I've had it combo against heavies at certain moments, though it was only certain moments.

herbmaster%

my dankchu is 420XX
3DS FC
2836-1534-7477
i'm so counter heavy as it is. i played a lucina who SB me twice in a match and i was so excited to try it and it totes works. I then beat 3 Little Macs online. Lucina is so bae !! ^v^

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Driving people off the stage with Fair edgeguarding is most definitely the way to go (I usually start mine from an Ftilt) like the other guys here have been saying. Usmash or Fsmash punishes are also nifty for killing people.

Aside from Dthrow into Uair or Uair into Utilt though, Lucy does not have many, if any, possible combos.

LovableTroll

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2234-7474-3126
A consistant combo at low percents (or against heavies) is down throw into bair, fair, and then fsmash or ftilt. The combo can also be executed without the down throw if they are already mid-air, but fair usually sends them too far.

Einyuri

Smash Cadet
A consistant combo at low percents (or against heavies) is down throw into bair, fair, and then fsmash or ftilt. The combo can also be executed without the down throw if they are already mid-air, but fair usually sends them too far.
Indeed. It's been reliable so far for me against heavies and some other lighter characters (Ike comes to mind.).

Her up-throw at high percentages can kill against certain characters though some have to be REALLY high percentage to get a guaranteed kill off of an up-throw. An example would be Bowser Jr. I went up from 100% - 200%, going up by 1% each throw and it took him being at 195% SPECIFICALLY (This is without vectoring, if you can vector throws) on FD for him to die from a regular Up-Throw.

That's just one character though, I haven't (nor will I, lol) gone through the entire cast to see when her up-throw kills.

Shadestars

Smash Cadet
Yep, this is a combo I've been using a lot. I'd like to add that fsmash/ftilt can be substituted with the full side-B combo for some in-yo-face stylin' and like, 3% more damage c:

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Bair does not combo into fair. And fair definitely does not combo into either ftilt or fsmash. The only part of that that registers as an actual combo is the throw into the bair. And any single aerial will combo from a downthrow at low to mid percents. They can airdodge, or even worse hit you, when you try to do the fair after the bair. And if they somehow miss their tech if the fair actually hits, they can just shield your fsmash and punish it.

Marth and Lucina are not combo characters. At all. Now that said, what is a good tool for them is landing uairs, in much a similar fashion that they are for Captain Falcon and Diddy Kong. These moves, spaced properly and at the right percents, will true-link into fmash and usmash. This will never blastzone your opponent no matter how close to the ledge you are, and it requires a read or a fast punish to do, but it does set up an edge guard position. Which is what you should be doing with Marth/Lucina anyways. That's what they're designed around in this game.

Last edited:

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Marth/Lucina combos: Hit them somewhere they don't want to be, then use that advantage to hit them again. Repeat til offstage/dead.

Marth/Lucina kill moves: fair, bair, dair, uair, fsmash, usmash, counter, Dancing Blade (unlikely), anything that puts the opponent in an edgeguarding situation.

Marth/Lucina are not really combo characters, nor have they (Marth) ever been. What combos we saw in the past were simply a means to Marth's true goal: get the opponent offstage and keep them there until they die by whatever means necessary. Anything is effectively a kill move if it directly leads to a kill.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
They have a move entirely dedicated to combos.

Dancing Blade. All the comboability you need right there imo.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
They have a move entirely dedicated to combos.

Dancing Blade. All the comboability you need right there imo.
A whole string of that does less damage than a single throw into a single aerial. It's not a good choice when you could just do something else that puts you in a more favorable position afterwards.
Marth/Lucina are not really combo characters, nor have they (Marth) ever been. What combos we saw in the past were simply a means to Marth's true goal: get the opponent offstage and keep them there until they die by whatever means necessary. Anything is effectively a kill move if it directly leads to a kill.
That's not true at all. A combo is simply any string of moves where your opponent is unable to act out of. Marth is very combo heavy in Melee. The combo that most people recognize by name is a Marth combo. I don't know where you got the idea that Marth was not a combo character. He was. He's not anymore, and that's not necessarily a bad thing per se, but it does change his gamestyle to a more reactive one.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
He is by design not a combo character. His combos were a result of exploits and the metagame.

The throw into an aerial is not guaranteed alot of the time btw.

Last edited:

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
He is by design not a combo character. His combos were a result of exploits and the metagame.

The throw into an aerial is not guaranteed alot of the time btw.
That does not mean that he wasn't a combo character regardless. Also the dthrow into uair is guaranteed as long as you're quick enough, up until percents at which you really ought to be switching to something else anyways.

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Marth is very combo heavy in Melee.
Again, means to an end. Also since you pointed out the Ken combo (a rarity in modern high level Melee), I might note that we're talking about the character and game that spawned the twin terms "Marth percent/Marth syndrome". The end goal of his combos is always a tipper fsmash and/or edgeguard situation. If his combos run out then he still seeks to create the same scenario, just less effectively.

it does change his gamestyle to a more reactive one.
Marth is only (somewhat) reactive if you're using his default loadout.

Last edited:

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Again, means to an end. Also since you pointed out the Ken combo (a rarity in modern high level Melee), I might note that we're talking about the character and game that spawned the twin terms "Marth percent/Marth syndrome". The end goal of his combos is always a tipper fsmash and/or edgeguard situation. If his combos run out then he still seeks to create the same scenario, just less effectively.

Marth is only (somewhat) reactive if you're using his default loadout.
I would say that both characters are reactive by virtue of their moveset, not so much their specials. They can't really combo anymore, but what they are still good at is frame traps, especially in the air. Frame traps are entirely reactive. I am curious about what it is in their custom moves that you feel changes things so much. I've unlocked them all and they don't seem to change their gameplan much at all.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
It basically allows them to ignore the ground game that alot of other characters have. Random Dashing Assault is actually quite strong in neutral.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
It basically allows them to ignore the ground game that alot of other characters have. Random Dashing Assault is actually quite strong in neutral.
I will say I find dashing assault to be pretty good, especially for recovery and stuffing approaches. But I'd hardly say it totally changes his playstyle. You still essentially play the same spacing and pushing game, just with a different tool. Even still though, I think the default shieldbreaker isn't something to scoff at. It's a very powerful option vs shieldgrabbers or shieldhappy users in general.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Wel the thing is it really neutralizes the disadvantage they appear to have vs pretty much all the top tiers. The pair are good at getting out of traps and breaking momentum so they really dont lose to anyone harder then 4/6. But vs characters like Diddy and Sheik, winning at neutral is a chore. They just have better tools and its hard to establish dominance. Dashing Assault forces them to be respectful and not just do whatever they want pretty much. Carries straight to the ledge and puts them in a ledge trap scenario where death is a real possibility.

It more or less hyper focuses their metagame and gives them a tool to more readily access their win condition.

Shadestars

Smash Cadet
Bair does not combo into fair. And fair definitely does not combo into either ftilt or fsmash. The only part of that that registers as an actual combo is the throw into the bair. And any single aerial will combo from a downthrow at low to mid percents. They can airdodge, or even worse hit you, when you try to do the fair after the bair. And if they somehow miss their tech if the fair actually hits, they can just shield your fsmash and punish it.

Marth and Lucina are not combo characters. At all. Now that said, what is a good tool for them is landing uairs, in much a similar fashion that they are for Captain Falcon and Diddy Kong. These moves, spaced properly and at the right percents, will true-link into fmash and usmash. This will never blastzone your opponent no matter how close to the ledge you are, and it requires a read or a fast punish to do, but it does set up an edge guard position. Which is what you should be doing with Marth/Lucina anyways. That's what they're designed around in this game.
down throw > Bair > fair > f-tilt/smash is in fact, a combo. try it.

Last edited:

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
down throw > Bair > fair > f-tilt/smash is in fact, a combo. try it.
I've gone into training mode and tried it out at a wide range of percents. Doesn't register as a real combo. They can act out of it.

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
I would say that both characters are reactive by virtue of their moveset, not so much their specials. They can't really combo anymore, but what they are still good at is frame traps, especially in the air. Frame traps are entirely reactive. I am curious about what it is in their custom moves that you feel changes things so much. I've unlocked them all and they don't seem to change their gameplan much at all.
Assault Dash means the opponent has to respect you even more at midrange, and it's a strong tool against campers. In a game where midrange control tends to be much less pronounced, the ability to exert pressure over both ground and air in the midrange space is pretty significant. Marth's kit already does that reasonably well, particularly in the air, but Assault Dash solidifies his control of the midrange ground game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom