• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Comboing Floaty Characters?

Bozo302

Smash Rookie
I usually play falco and every time I face a floaty character, I find it REALLY hard to combo them. Does anyone have any tips for comboing floaty characters?

Nail.exe

Smash Cadet
Jab to F-smash works much better on floaties than fastfallers, in the same way dtilt to fsmash works on fastfallers sometimes at low percents. Also, dair to RAR bair works if they DI outwards, and if they DI straight up go for shines, uairs, and shine into firebird combos. Or bair kills at high percent. In general, go to stages with low ceilings (WW/Yoshi's/FD/PS2) and use more uair. But don't take Ness to FD.

Last edited:

Phaiyte

Smash Ace
use utilt instead of shine. Less knockback at lower percents. On real floaties you can use shine to kill on stages with low ceilings lol

pkblaze

Smash Apprentice
Replace shine with uptilt at around 30% unless they're shielding (uptilt is poop on shield).

Go for shine off the top bull****. Lock them down with lasers, get **** off of upthrow, dthrow smash attack on platforms, CC dtilt can kill if you're low and they're high.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Use dat uair after dem shiney lights or utits cuz u can get stuff after leek fair
yes

Last edited:

Lizalfos

Smash Master
I'm assuming you mean only the first hotbox that doesn't launch can combo into Fair, gotta try this this weekend.

Babatunde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BABS!
3DS FC
2938-7558-8507
Kidnappin Princesses fo days~
(A cookie goes to the person that gets the double reference i made there)

Last edited:

reportingsfnoobs

Smash Apprentice
Like everyone said, go for u-tilts instead of using Falco's shine. If you successfully d-air a floaty into the ground, follow up with a jab into u-tilt(s) until they DI away, then follow up with another aerial or tech chase. If they just go higher from u-tilts, follow up with a shine b-air, then reset into neutral.

P.S. if you try to get a good shine combo on Jigglypuff... Just don't. You won't. You can't. Impossibru.

Zero May Cry

Smash Cadet
shine into firebird combos
I don't think shine into firebird works that well on floaties. What characters specifically?

Here are some combos I like to do on floaties (some have already been discussed)

When the opponent is standing:

1. dair > shine > uair (simple, kinda low damage but it's great because usually it's 100% guaranteed if they don't cc the shine)

2. dair > shine > dair (make sure you fast fall the dair so that they don't punish you on hit, because at low percents floaties will escape from the hitstun when you're next to them)

3. dair > shine > fair (like #1 but just a different aerial, doesn't set up for much afterwards though)

3. dair > shine > shine > back air / down air (works on most characters, really good damage if they don't DI properly)

4. jab > fsmash / dtilt (pretty much falco's version of jab up smash. Great set up for kills)

5. dair > shine > shine > dair > utilt > shine > back air (extended combo that can work on atrocious DI, but don't expect to get this often)

Mizter Ultimaman

Smash Cadet
I play Jiggs. Literally the floatiest character in the game. Shine > Jump > Double Jump > Shine kills off the top. I'd assume on less floaty characters, but still pretty floaty (like Luigi or Samus) that Shine -> Jump -> Shine -> Double Jump -> Shine could connect on them. It would kill off the ledge if it does connect.

Top Bottom