• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Color Palette Thread

Oatmeal.

Part of a balanced breakfast.
Now I'm certainly not a Sonic fan, but his Brawl palette was just disappointing.

Here's one for SSB4 I found that's pretty decent:
upload_2014-4-30_17-4-48.jpeg

Discuss / make your own.

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
Those somehow made me crave Skittles.

I kinda liked the different shades of blue as they were, it doesn't seem right to put any color on Sonic except for maybe black or white. I dunno maybe they could put different colored accessories on him in a less conservative way than Brawl did while still sticking to the multi-blue shades.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Seeeeeriously! I really want more colour in this game. Sonic on blue team, red team, green team..... it's always just a boring ol' blue sonic!!!! can't tell 'em apart!!

Hope Sakurai groks that this time :)

Johnny Wellens

Smash Apprentice
I liked the colors in Project M for Sonic. I hated that in Brawl he was still blue with a red/green/black tint. Different Sonic colors honor his crew. Red = Knuckles, Orange = Tailes, Green = Jet, Black = Shadow, etc. Green is my favorite color so I'm hoping for a sick Green costume.

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
I personally would love to see more colors for Sonic. The Silver color scheme looks awesome!

Oatmeal.

I might use Sonic more if there was an orange color scheme. Orange = best.

Johnny Wellens

Smash Apprentice
I might use Sonic more if there was an orange color scheme. Orange = best.
Orange is one of my favorite colors and I wish every character had an orange palette. One of the only characters I've ever used the default color on was Charizard because he just looks so awesome as default orange.

Oatmeal.

Orange is one of my favorite colors and I wish every character had an orange palette. One of the only characters I've ever used the default color on was Charizard because he just looks so awesome as default orange.
I often just use the default color, but there are a few exceptions. orange Yoshi (Project M), black Olimar, gold Roy, white Marth, yellow G&W....you get the idea, there's others.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Sonic has a blue color swap with glowing light blue cuffs.

CryoGX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CryoGX
Okay, I think Sonic has 4 different color palettes this time around, and I like them; they all feel pretty distinct. However, none of them have any significant value to other characters in the Sonic franchise.

There's the regular Modern Sonic

Then there's a White skin that Sonic seemed to have stolen from Kirby. (His wristbands have smaller black bands in the middle, and his shoe straps are darker)

Then there's blue-er (DOES THAT MEAN FASTER?!) Sonic, with cyan shoes, cyan fur, and cyan energy wrist bracers replacing his wristbands.

Finally, the last one I saw was a swagalicious, pimped-out, purple-urple-tastic-ous Sonic skin that has purple fur and shoes, with wrist bracers that look like they're made from purple Chaos Emeralds. Dang, this one comes into the battle with 1/7th of his Final Smash ready to roll. He looks like he'll take your Palutena, sell her off for the night, and reap the profits.

Also: I am appalled no one suggested this, yet.

Last edited:

Johnny Wellens

Smash Apprentice
I would be surprised if those were his only colors. I still think that all characters are going to have a red and green color swap. I will be incredibly majorly disappointed if I can't play a green Sonic.

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
I would be surprised if those were his only colors. I still think that all characters are going to have a red and green color swap. I will be incredibly majorly disappointed if I can't play a green Sonic.
It's likely those were not all of them. Keep note, everyone in the demo only had 3 palettes to choose from in addition to default. That's just enough for a 4-for-all ditto.

Also, Wire Frame Mac was absent when we know it's one of his colors.

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
I'd pretty much guarantee he'll have more options. I'm hoping they make alt costumes or more colors unlockable somehow, just for something extra to do. That purple is an early favorite for me though.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
The Blue-r Sonic's wrist bands were actually Crystal Rings, from Sonic Adventure. That's one specific nod, but it's still pleasant.

CryoGX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CryoGX
The Blue-r Sonic's wrist bands were actually Crystal Rings, from Sonic Adventure. That's one specific nod, but it's still pleasant.
Now that I think about it, they did feel familiar.

...HOLY CRAP.

The wristbands aren't the only thing that's a reference. One could argue that the entire skin itself is a reference to lightspeed Sonic from Adventure 1.

I can't provide a screenshot, so skip to 0:52 of this video and note the complete cyan glow.

Then note the completely cyan color of the "Blue-r" color swap.

Not sure if it's an explicit reference, but it seems like it could be.

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
Still, personally I'm pretty disappointed how Sonic AGAIN is always blue with weak tints of other colors. Being traditionally blue didn't stop Megaman from having alternate colors.

D

Deleted member 245254

Still, personally I'm pretty disappointed how Sonic AGAIN is always blue with weak tints of other colors. Being traditionally blue didn't stop Megaman from having alternate colors.
Yeah but he's like, a robot. Sonic is just...not sonic if he ain't blue.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
Yeah, but Mega Man always changes colors in his games. Sonic just can't do other colors... he wouldn't be Sonic anymore.

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
You think so? Unless Super Sonic(yellow), Darkspine Sonic(purple), Dark Super Sonic(black), and Hyper Sonic(LOTS of colors) didn't feel like Sonic to you, I'd rather have a variety of colors instead of the same one with different shoes and tints.

LumbKai

Smash Rookie
I think Hyper Scrouge the hedgehog colours would make an awesome Sonic pallete swap! I don't care about the jacket or glasses.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Okay, I think Sonic has 4 different color palettes this time around, and I like them; they all feel pretty distinct. However, none of them have any significant value to other characters in the Sonic franchise.

There's the regular Modern Sonic

Then there's a White skin that Sonic seemed to have stolen from Kirby. (His wristbands have smaller black bands in the middle, and his shoe straps are darker)

Then there's blue-er (DOES THAT MEAN FASTER?!) Sonic, with cyan shoes, cyan fur, and cyan energy wrist bracers replacing his wristbands.

Finally, the last one I saw was a swagalicious, pimped-out, purple-urple-tastic-ous Sonic skin that has purple fur and shoes, with wrist bracers that look like they're made from purple Chaos Emeralds. Dang, this one comes into the battle with 1/7th of his Final Smash ready to roll. He looks like he'll take your Palutena, sell her off for the night, and reap the profits.

Also: I am appalled no one suggested this, yet.
Ohh having seven palettes based on the different chaos emeralds would be amazing

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
I noticed in IGN's video at around 21:16 Sonic's purple palette appears to have purple Chaos Emerald bracelets, am I seeing things? Cause that Sonic looks sick!

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I noticed in IGN's video at around 21:16 Sonic's purple palette appears to have purple Chaos Emerald bracelets, am I seeing things? Cause that Sonic looks sick!
Having played the demo, I can confirm that his bracelets are in fact emeralds.

:093:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
That's so sick! xD I might actually play Sanic now to go as Bling Bling Swaggy Sanic
There was a sorta swaggy sanic in Brawl with the gold palette, but yeah, emeralds are way swaggier.

It'd be cool if there were alts with like his bounce bracelet and **** like that too. Just subtle references.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!

These would be perfect.

I especially would like to have a Shadow color swap, I mean if Luigi had a Waluigi in Brawl, then I don't see any reason why Sonic shouldn't have one of Shadow because being a Assist Trophy obviously isn't a issue here preventing color swaps.

I have to say the color swaps for Sonic in Brawl sucked, I hated all of them, if they don't at least give him a Shadow color swap, I'm not playing as Sonic in this game either, and that's something I don't want to see happen.

All I'm asking for is a Shadow color swap, that's all, I don't care what the rest are.

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master

These would be perfect.

I especially would like to have a Shadow color swap, I mean if Luigi had a Waluigi in Brawl, then I don't see any reason why Sonic shouldn't have one of Shadow because being a Assist Trophy obviously isn't a issue here preventing color swaps.

I have to say the color swaps for Sonic in Brawl sucked, I hated all of them, if they don't at least give him a Shadow color swap, I'm not playing as Sonic in this game either, and that's something I don't want to see happen.

All I'm asking for is a Shadow color swap, that's all, I don't care what the rest are.
There's no reason they shouldn't too since all his colours in this game seem to be variations on blue so having black isn't a problem, although I must admit sonic being green, red and yellow is just weird

Pr0fessor Flash

Smash Master
NNID
Snake_Midwest
3DS FC
1993-8618-5171
There's no reason they shouldn't too since all his colours in this game seem to be variations on blue so having black isn't a problem, although I must admit sonic being green, red and yellow is just weird
The yellow one I like be the red and green brawl customs for Sonic is HELLA STUPID!

Scourge The Hedgehog

Evil Sonikku
NNID
JayJayPlushie
3DS FC
2535-4437-8099
Shadow the Hedgehog palette swap would be pretty good. We saw the winter Sonic color which was pretty sweet. I personally loved Sonic's golden rings color in Brawl but the rest were meh. The Chaos Emeralds are a nice touch. Sonic should be able to pay tribute to all the different characters: Scourge, Silver, Shadow, Metal Sonic, and there are a bunch more characters that could be alts.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!

This needs to happen, I've seen Brawl hacks that look better than what we got in Brawl

Also Luigi got a Waluigi color swap, in which that should of been Wario's color swap, get it right.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Also Luigi got a Waluigi color swap, in which that should of been Wario's color swap, get it right.
Well, Waluigi's name literally has Luigi's name in it so... Not too much of a stretch there.

Also, Mario had a Wario color palette in Melee so... Still following the pattern there.

the101

Smash Journeyman
Outside Bandai Namco Studios with Binoculars...
3DS FC
4854-7073-5738
Remember the segment of E3 2014 where they showed off the trailer for Smash Bros. for 3DS, and they showed off all those trophies? Well, I was looking through the footage and saw that one of those trophies was Metal Sonic.

Would it be too much of a stretch to at least hope Sonic will have an alternate skin of him as Metal Sonic?

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Pending
:ness2::jigglypuff::popo::mewtwopm::falco::ganondorf::metaknight::wario::lucas::rob::wolf:

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
Remember the segment of E3 2014 where they showed off the trailer for Smash Bros. for 3DS, and they showed off all those trophies? Well, I was looking through the footage and saw that one of those trophies was Metal Sonic.

Would it be too much of a stretch to at least hope Sonic will have an alternate skin of him as Metal Sonic?
I would like that more than a Shadow skin :D I wouldn't say it's a stretch, but trophies don't generally hint to skins, we think. But who knows!

Last edited:
Top Bottom