• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

College Smash?

S.G.

Smash Journeyman
Hello all,
I'm a native socal resident, in my senior year of high school, and in concerns to college I'm just curious as to see what the college scenes are like, if there are any. Now, I'm not saying I'd base my decision based off of smash, but if there were any smash clubs, or just plain smashers at the universities, I'm curious as to there size, how serious it is, and what the atmosphere is.
I live in the 949, so I know UCI has a relatively strong base, but what about other areas such as

UCLA
USC
and I know that if I went to Berkeley that the norcal scene is a BART ride away

thx

Crowing

Smash Cadet
It isn't on your list but the smash scene at UCSC is growing right now. Having some pretty sweet weekly smash days.

D

Deleted member

Hello all,
I'm a native socal resident, in my senior year of high school, and in concerns to college I'm just curious as to see what the college scenes are like, if there are any. Now, I'm not saying I'd base my decision based off of smash, but if there were any smash clubs, or just plain smashers at the universities, I'm curious as to there size, how serious it is, and what the atmosphere is.
I live in the 949, so I know UCI has a relatively strong base, but what about other areas such as

UCLA
USC
and I know that if I went to Berkeley that the norcal scene is a BART ride away

thx

ucla has a smash club, we have some decent players, weekly meetings for 2-4 hours. Both melee and brawl put brawl is smaller than melee

pretty sure usc has one too, not sure about their quality and size though just know that one exists

D

Deleted member

s2j, who's in said smash club at ucla?

me
aesis (old school professional that sometimes shows up)
tafokints
dunskies the legend
chris (peach player)

--

we have a wide variety of skill levels and power rankings.. currently its:

official:
0. aesis
1. me
2. tafokints
3. chris
4. dunk
5-10

whenever aesis does come, he brings emerican, a great falcon who make the combo video F***ing ****:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hky9afNCG54

best of all we are chill as ***

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
lucky you're in 949. take your pick of pretty much any of the big socal colleges, lots of them have great scenes. ucla, uci in particular.

CableCho57

Smash Lord
Uh ucsb has a weekly smashclub. Not to many players as of now tho.

And im in a similar situation but with the budget cuts in UC's I only applied to the good csu's

Naota21t

Smash Champion
is there any smash clubs or smashers in davis??
pink shinobi goes there. theres a few good people there, but aside from pink shinobi and erikson its sorta a desert in that area.

i do know dajuan and few other smashers from the bay are planning to go to davis soon-ish though.

Kheffin

Smash Rookie
There -are- smashers in Davis, but good luck trying to get a hold of people to play. Most people don't really have the motivation to travel (aka bike), and there tends to be a lot of time conflict as well. You'll probably be able to find people to play, but it won't be a regular schedule. The skill level in Davis is pretty wide though, so you should be able to find someone to play if you both can make time.

I think a lot of people are graduating this year though, so I dunno how many people will still be here.

ender

open your parachute
BRoomer
there are also a decent amount of smashers in sacramento if you can get there

D

Deleted member

larry does not go to csun anymore i believe, what smash does to ur grades

joeplicate

Smash Master
yeah johnny i heard you ****ed up on a math final hahaha

i quit out of my chemistry class and took the F
i think it's because of general laziness though, and not smash

i need to develop better study habits =o

Spac3Roids

Smash Rookie
wassup, im currently in oakland, about 10 minute bus ride from Berkley and a bart station. Where can i get me some competitive smash at

ZeldaFreak0309

Smash Journeyman
In case some haven't seen yet...
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=272564

I go to UC Berkeley, there's a decent amount of competitive smashers here (around 15) of various skill levels. We have a smash club but it's mostly for Brawl, I guess the Melee people could get back involved but a lot of us are pretty busy...we usually just organize smashfests/small tournies through Facebook/phone or whatever, but we do play pretty regularly

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
That varies by college and high school. The college I attended my first year after high school was considerably harder than my high school was, whereas the second college I attended was significantly easier.

D

Deleted member

thats because harvey mudd is the hardest undergraduate college in the world

Top Bottom