• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

College Smash Teams and Singles?

KoozyK

Smash Ace
Alright no one yell at me if this post is seriously unnecessary. But I honestly think this is a good idea.

Since a good portion of our smash tourneys are held at colleges and our smashing community is a lot of college students. Why not have our colleges go against each other in Melee and Brawl Matches? (teams and Singles) For example we could have the NCSU go against the UNC teams on like a date made for them and then the results of the match ups could be posted back up on here on Smash boards obviously.
Of course there would have to be rules to these teams. Like only a certain amount of people aloud to a team and whatnot. If a highschooler or someone else that’s not already at college that haves a team wants to play for the team then they could or something. IDK I'm not making these rules now im just asking if the community would be interested in something like this. It would basically be like a college sport but with video games.

Is anyone interested in starting up college smash teams? Or am I just and idiot for posting this? If im the idiot for this, ill just run away and hide under my bed at my dorm

EDIT: im saying all these rules could be made, nothings set in stone yet. i want someone to help me make the rule sets to this and shiza.
i mean i was thinking if u have a highschooler that wants to play for your team then they could. and all colleges are eligible.
idk with the amount of people on a team im just wondering if enough of us want to do this we could easily get this started off.

as for population, im beyond positive that every college has some video gamers, or japan club where u can recruit. then all you have to do is teach the person alot. and they could easily get better over time.

Edit: ok im starting to realize everyone needs set rules. here. THIS IS ALL UP FOR DEBATE.
college teams consist 2 teams per game. meaning.
2melee teams
2 brawl teams
at least 5 single players per game a piece.

-can recruit from highschools. no matter where. but that person has to be committed to that team and that team only per season.
-if youre in a college already and your college has a team u cant join another colleges team. (now that i think about it. we could have JV teams....yea probably wont work eh?)
-if your college doesn't have a team, u can join someone elses.
again im just making a rough cut in the rules.
*none of these rules are set in stone. please debate all of this please.

*CT*

Smash Lord
Just sounds like the regional crew battles NC tried to do :p

Like Eastern NC vs Western NC.

So nothing really new.

ZeldaRox!

Smash Lord
well I'm here at Duke and Duke students do enjoy beating other schools at anything.....but we are seriously lacking on the talent to do so. But I know a few who would be interested in Brawl. As for melee the only ppl I know are Theo and Liang.

KoozyK

Smash Ace
Im saying this could be a interesting way for us all to get better and have fun with it. We all would practice like cray for an upcoming match would we not?

idk im just trying to see if anyone would be interested.

well I'm here at Duke and Duke students do enjoy beating other schools at anything.....but we are seriously lacking on the talent to do so. But I know a few who would be interested in Brawl. As for melee the only ppl I know are Theo and Liang.
o yea im the biggest UNC fan dude :p

KoozyK

Smash Ace
so i take it we're actually considering this idea? i mean if u dont have a lot of people at your school that play either of the games. u can always recruit and train some people up. its a really good way to expand our community

Beanman

Smash Cadet
FAU in and ready to wreck. We actually have an official college gaming league that gets together every friday, so setting up tournaments at school, against other schools, shouldn't be too hard.

Krackshot Kroc

Smash Ace
I would be down for this honestly, the only problem I really find with it all is the skill gap between colleges and also the lack of players.

I'll use ECU and NCSU for example. Koozy, Bden, and myself are all ECU but neither three of us are power ranked in NC for Melee nor Brawl. Not saying we suck, but we're not up there either.

NCSU, on the other hand, has power ranked players all over the place. Foxy, Sushi-man, Jon? (lol), and Shady whose attending Wake Tech for now but will most likely attend NCSU next year.

Some colleges don't even have enough players and some smashers are the only one who attend that particular college.

Next is the fact that it's not just colleges. We have smashers who don't attend college and are either still in high school or entered in the work force. Josh and PLUR are examples of people who are in the work force, while Stingers is an example of someone whose still in high school.

These are just gaps in the system that could most likely be fixed but I'm just stating the bumps in the proposal :p.

<3 you Koozy

AceDudeyeah

Smash Ace
This would be a great way to spread awareness about the true way to play smash.
Maybe even get the cheerleaders to start cheering for the team and get your own college to support Home vs Away games.

How would say a Team of 8 UCF Smashers go up against 8 UF smashers?
The only way I can think of is Crew Battle

SN Viper

Formerly 9th in FL PR
Maybe even get the cheerleaders to start cheering for the team and get your own college to support Home vs Away games.

Hey man PM FGCU has a team we can work out a way to do it i am thinking kinda like the way HS wrestling meets work if you know about that

KoozyK

Smash Ace
I would be down for this honestly, the only problem I really find with it all is the skill gap between colleges and also the lack of players.

I'll use ECU and NCSU for example. Koozy, Bden, and myself are all ECU but neither three of us are power ranked in NC for Melee nor Brawl. Not saying we suck, but we're not up there either.

NCSU, on the other hand, has power ranked players all over the place. Foxy, Sushi-man, Jon? (lol), and Shady whose attending Wake Tech for now but will most likely attend NCSU next year.

Some colleges don't even have enough players and some smashers are the only one who attend that particular college.

Next is the fact that it's not just colleges. We have smashers who don't attend college and are either still in high school or entered in the work force. Josh and PLUR are examples of people who are in the work force, while Stingers is an example of someone whose still in high school.

These are just gaps in the system that could most likely be fixed but I'm just stating the bumps in the proposal :p.

<3 you Koozy
Easily filled inable gaps ......grrr

im guessing florida is down for this then?

KoozyK

Smash Ace
Dude, Mike we would ****.

Mann now i want to go to another tournament. i think i would even consider entering brawl to be honest...

WHAT
hellz yea we would bden, all we would need to do is train up the twins a bit, make sure i stay on point every match, and reg and some of game night would def. be sick with it. ECU could easily get recognized if we tryed

o yea someone please tell mike that battle axe is this sep. not oct

bdenhawk

Smash Journeyman
Actually yeah you are right dude.

The twins i think have the most potential, and have the drive to play the game the most. I think we should teach them stuff, or at least train them more. (when i have free time hah)

I played a little with them today...good stuff. They are really good for not going to touraments and such.

KoozyK

Smash Ace

The twins i think have the most potential, and have the drive to play the game the most. I think we should teach them stuff, or at least train them more. (when i have free time hah)

I played a little with them today...good stuff. They are really good for not going to touraments and such.
we'd do pretty good.

Alright can we get some more feed back on this everyone??? florida said they were down, NC we gonna stack it up?
GA?
SC? TN? the rest of you???

Purple

Hi guys!
Some questions. How many members from each college would be applicable to enter this? Is there only set colleges that can enter this? How would you confirm that they are actually part of the college and not just random members?

Would this be a bracket crew battle kind of scenario? Or would it be round robin? How much would each team cost? etc. :-x

I think it would be cool for Georgia to represent here :'D. Our SPSU team would be pretty broke imo.

However yeah, I would think so more basic ground rules would be necessary.

KoozyK

Smash Ace
Some questions. How many members from each college would be applicable to enter this? Is there only set colleges that can enter this? How would you confirm that they are actually part of the college and not just random members?

Would this be a bracket crew battle kind of scenario? Or would it be round robin? How much would each team cost? etc. :-x

I think it would be cool for Georgia to represent here :'D. Our SPSU team would be pretty broke imo.

However yeah, I would think so more basic ground rules would be necessary.

im saying all these rules could be made, nothings set in stone yet. i want someone to help me make the rule sets to this and shiza.
i mean i was thinking if u have a highschooler that wants to play for your team then they could. and all colleges are eligible.
idk with the amount of people on a team :ohwell: im just wondering if enough of us want to do this we could easily get this started off.

as for population, im beyond positive that every college has some video gamers, or japan club where u can recruit. then all you have to do is teach the person alot. and they could easily get better over time.

Edit: ok im starting to realize everyone needs set rules. here. THIS IS ALL UP FOR DEBATE.
college teams consist 2 teams per game. meaning.
2melee teams
2 brawl teams
at least 5 single players per game a piece.

-can recruit from highschools. no matter where. but that person has to be committed to that team and that team only per season.
-if youre in a college already and your college has a team u cant join another colleges team. (now that i think about it. we could have JV teams....yea probably wont work eh?)
-if your college doesn't have a team, u can join someone elses.
again im just making a rough cut in the rules. *nothing is set in stone. please debate all of this please.

ZeldaRox!

Smash Lord
the more you talk about it, the more I'm up for it; just some points though, who hosts? Will these schools have to host (say home games?) or will there be a central location that we all can go to and watch? Will it be like 1 game a week (say unc vs state week 1, duke vs unc week2, etc.) or will it be all the teams come to one location on a monthly basis and we have a few matches (unc vs. duke; unc vs. state; duke vs. state)?

So how long in the future do you think before this can start? Your main problem is going to be time. If people don't see immediate results, they're gonna lose interest and see it as just a failed venture. If you start early (even prematurely), then people will see it as a worthwhile cause.

Purple

Hi guys!
These rules are actually looking pretty legit. My school doesn't have a brawl scene however another school does, so this helps very much for me :). I'll help you with a ruleset later alright?

Krackshot Kroc

Smash Ace

The twins do have the most potential out of everyone that I've played at ECU, I'll agree with that. They talk to me about Brawl and they definitely know some stuff that usually only competitive players know.

I honestly think out of all my roommates and suitemates Jojo will be the best by the end of sophomore year, he has the drive and is willing to dedicate himself. Teachey wants to get better but doesn't really give much of an effort to and whenever we give him Pikachu advice he takes it in his head but never applies it.

Mike Weiss is hard to explain, he wants to get better but at the same time he doesn't really care. Plus he switches around with characters WAY too much (then again, I'm in really no position to say that haha). He's better than Jojo right now, but I think Jojo could possibly surpass him in the long run.

Ian honestly could be easily one of the best. I love Mike and Jojo, but he could surpass them in no time if he learned more stuff in the game. He's an extremely smart player. He goes even with Mike right now, but Mike is a lot more technical than he is and knows more about the game.

Bden you **** as usual, good matches today keep up the Marth <3. When we practice next time we should go over some stuff rather than just straight up play 1 on 1.

And Kris ***** too :], don't get discouraged dude you're a great player, our characters are a lot better than yours. We need to play more, and by play more I mean camp more :p

ECU! YAY!!!!!!!!! :D

KoozyK

Smash Ace
what about Melee, Mike?
ksk mike and theres this one ..
reggie who is a underground beast. he and bden when at it one night and without doubt it was one of the most intense battles in melee i had ever seen. bdens falco vs his sheik. bden came out on top but it was a surprise to everyone. Reggie barely even plays smash too. he just started playing brawl and melee again and is pretty **** good.

KoozyK

Smash Ace
I know who KSK is lol I'm just trying to get my bro to play MORE MELEE!!!!
lol i didnt say you didnt know lol, mike plays melee alot more then brawl to tell you the truth. he plays brawl socially around here for the most part.
*im sure he'll look at this by tonight and comment knowing him lol

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
lol ucf wouldn't win a crew battle vs a bunch of dead cats with controllers taped to them.

but next year we could possibly have both colbol AND hungrybox, forming a crew that would be ALMOST CAPABLE OF BEATING THOSE CATS

[FBC] Papa Mink

Smash Legend
NNID
PapaMink
I'm down no doubt. FGCU represent! haha. I hope theres a Full Sail smash scene. I might be going there in a few months -.-

But until then. FGCU will wreck lives.

KoozyK

Smash Ace
yea im guessing all of florida is down for this. GA? NC? others?
NC we trying to stack it up, i noticed UNC had some sick smashers. ecu's dowmn, anyone else in NC?

Killanator90

Smash Journeyman
Brawl

Hey me and my friends are down with this. We go to the Art institute of Charlotte, so we could join Uncc team or something.

KoozyK

Smash Ace
Hey me and my friends are down with this. We go to the Art institute of Charlotte, so we could join Uncc team or something.
finalllyyyyyy yess, someone from north carolina,

alright well if we get enough colleges by the 31s, we can start making the schedules and all that jazz by january. to have our smash season kick off. im thinking this should be fun. have our own march madness,

Killanator90

Smash Journeyman
My brother and a group of his friends want to join to but they go to Scad which is in Georgia

Top Bottom